CO Archery Eastern Plains - Help?!

vanish

WKR
CO Archery Eastern Plains - Mulie vs Whitetail Strategy?

I am ridiculously excited about this upcoming hunt. I've got a tag for the CO Eastern Plains and have access to about 10k acres to hunt. I don't know how I am going to make it through the rest of the work week, but I think they might be on to me if I were to "come down sick" on Thursday. I've got Saturday - Tuesday out there, which should be the whitetail rut, and then Thanksgiving - Sunday available for round 2, which should be the mule deer rut. I've only rifle hunted mule deer in early/2nd rifle seasons. I've always spent my time archery hunting elk and then November headed to Nebraska for whitetails.

There are dry river bottoms running through the center of the property, and it quickly transitions up to sand-sage habitat. Nearby, but not on the property, are several agricultural pivots. I haven't been able to spend much time scouting as this will be the 7th big game hunt I've been on this year ( not all my own tags ). I watched whitetails in the bottoms, and I've seen a couple nice mule deer in the pivots in my truck headlights.

I'm really torn on how to approach this hunt. I have much more confidence in a plan for whitetails; set up in pinch points near doe bedding areas to intercept cruising bucks. I've already got those spots scouted and marked. However, I'd love to do some spot and stalk. Its just much more exciting hunting. The problem is access. I'm just not sure I have enough space to work with to hunt the mulies, especially since the pivots are on private. Also, the rut should be kicking in, so I don't have a clue if normal spot and stalk even applies.

I'm worried I'll just waste my time getting up high to glass rather than being in the bottoms where I expect deer to be cruising through. If I had a 9 day block, I wouldn't feel so pressured to be where I know deer will be. I know there are mule deer within a few hundred yards, but not if they ever step foot on this property. For all I know, they'll drop into the bottoms, too.

If you've got any tips or suggestions for me, please comment. I'm probably over thinking this, especially as the freezer is darn near full.

Last edited:
OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
I know this is a mule deer forum, but I wanted to follow up and all the advice I got from other's was "If you know the whitetails are there, hunt the whitetails." and so I did. Mother nature kind of forced my hand with heavy fog on my first day. I did see some mule deer within range in the morning, but very small bucks. Passed on half a dozen small whitetails.

I moved locations as I felt and had a great 10pt wt downwind on me (at 11:08am) while I was still regrouping my gear. At 12:47 this guy was horning the bush next to me, and as sad as it was to have the hunt over on the first day, I wasn't going to pass the 16 yard shot on the biggest framed whitetail I've ever shot.

uc

uc

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
I attempted to drag him ... F that. It was like dragging velcro. Went back for my pack. So much easier. I was just about 2.5 miles from my car, but was able to get the car to just over a mile from the buck.

uc

OP
vanish

vanish

WKR
I'm totally a mechanical convert. I didn't know where to start, so I bought in with Snyder and went for NAP Killzones. Huge holes in my elk, and more huge holes in this whitetail. No blood trailing needed on either animal. Maybe I'm just a better shot now.

Entrance:

uc

Exit:

uc