Off Topic - Kifaru Spike Camp

I did post a new thread in the back pack section - but last year I started this conversation in the ML area as I was looking for a new "Day Pack" for my winter muzzleloading hunting efforts here in north Idaho.

I did get several suggestions and references to Kifaru. The initial pack that I chose to give a try the Kifaru Nomad. It was later suggested to me by a Nomad user that I really might prefer the Spike Camp. Remembering that I really did not want it for its ability to carry meat but for carrying equipment for hunting.

I think the Spike Camp is going to turn out to be THE pack I hoped it would be. I got to use it for the first time today on a very short walk about in one of local hunting areas.

Here is my discussion:

This is not really a review of the Kifaru Spike Camp but more a preliminary report of its use.

I got the new pack very late in the year and did not get a chance to use it for it's intended purpose. Still haven't but I did get an opportunity this morning to take it on its maiden voyage.

Late last year I was looking for a good 'Day Pack' for use during hunting season here in Idaho. Of the packs that I viewed on-line, it really appeared to me that the Spike Camp might be the one!

This weekend the plan was to get some game cameras out in place in one our normal elk hunting spots. I thought this would be an excellent time to get this new pack out and into the woods.

I loaded the pack with 4 game cams and the various tools that I thought I might need to clean out a mounting spot for the cameras. Plus I added in the normal safety and survival stuff that I might want to carry in. All-in-all when I got everything in that I thought I might need I weighed the pack just for the heck of it. It only weighed right at 20#'s and really was only a small portion of what I might have in for a winter Muzzleloading season.

As I was loading the pack with all of these different items the only thing that I found that I wished were different was the main cargo area from the top of the pack to the bottom was one large area. It would be a lot better from me if the pack had a bottom in the main area that ended at the top of the zipper to get into the bottom of the pack. So I am saying it would be nice it the pack was divided into two compartments instead of one large one top to bottom.

The trip was not a long trip in and out at all but I really have to say it was a comfortable trip - really did not know that I was carrying a back pack. The design of the pack with the padded and cushioned area located in the correct spots to conform to your back. It was GOOD! Of course I will know more this winter when the pack is loaded with all the stuff I carry while hunting with a muzzleloader.

Here are some pictures.

The first few are just profile pics of the pack as it went into the woods.

Frontal view.

Side view

And a view of the back of the pack. Take a look at the padding that the pack has to conform to your back. The upper black area with breathable padding rides perfect on the upper back between the shoulders. The lower black area or actually just above the lower black spot is cushioned area that fits right into the small of your back and is as comfortable as all get out.

It seems to me everything on this pack is adjustable... I would think it could be adjusted to fit most any body back form.

Camo ability... well I believe the patter I chose is perfect for my hunting area...

In this picture the pack is 14 yards away from the camera lens... it is really hard to pick the pack out.

it is there!

This next picture I change the magnification of the lens to pick up the pack - but unfortunately I did not allow the camera to focus correctly... but even then it still remains somewhat hard to distinguish.

I do remain excited about this pack and it uses...

OP
sabotloader
I did get out again yesterday with the pack and equipment. It was really hot but it was an enjoyable pack back into the woods to get a couple of game cams setup. Again I would lay the claim that this is a very comfortable pack to carry and move around with in the woods.

Yesterday one of the most notable things for me was that the pack and its cargo really stayed in the small of my back. It was odd that there was very little weight of the pack being supported by my shoulders. The shoulder straps were not very tight at all and I really did not have the waist belt tight either. It was tight enough to hold the bottom of the pack against my back but the weight in the pack never felt like it was pulling the pack down.

If you look at this picture and the piece circled in red. This pad that conforms to the small of the back is a marvelous part of this pack system. I could always feel this pad pushing into the small of my back what I couldn't figure is why it stayed in place.... with the weight why didn't the bottom of the pack slip down my back. Nothing was really tight but it stayed in place and really for me made the pack mostly un-noticeable

I do not know if Kifaru has a name for this piece - but I feel that all packs should have this device. It shape is perfect for the fit.