Die hard solo backpack hunting convert to spike camp hot tent?

I've always been into backpack hunting, keeping everything light and on my back, having a cold camp, and trekking up to 10 miles in.

For this year, I'm considering going with a 4 man tipi, like the Argali Absaroka, and a stove. I'd set up a spike camp most of the way in and then hunt out 2-3 miles from there each day, possibly with an emergency bivy or something so I could stay out for the night if needed.

I'd still hunt solo, but would get the 4 man so I could bring along my brother or wife or kid sometime.

I'm considering this so that when the weather turns sideways (hunt I usually 2nd week October at 10-10500 ft) and I get wet and cold I'm able to dry stuff out, keep my spirits higher, and stay up high longer than I have in the past.

I'm looking for some opinions and thoughts from guys who have been in a similar situation and have converted or decided to continue with lightweight backpack hunting. I'm currently torn between getting a new warmer sleeping bag or going the hot tent/spike camp route.

Thoughts?

EdP

WKR
The Argali Absaroka is light and spacious enough for what you have in mind but the light weight packable stoves don't hold a fire long and won't provide overnight heat to allow a lighter sleeping bag. The Absaroka and stove will let you get warmed up and dried out, and stay comfortable in bad weather if you keep the stove fired up. I would think any non-hunters accompanying you are going to need something active to do otherwise they will be stuck all day in the tent feeding the stove to stay comfortable.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I have all of the tent options.

I used to spike for longer periods, now I typically only spike for one or two nights…thus I go as light as possible Using my 2.5# Tarptent…and just now switching over to the SO Eolus- sub 2 pounds.

Last edited:
OP
H
The Argali Absaroka is light and spacious enough for what you have in mind but the light weight packable stoves don't hold a fire long and won't provide overnight heat to allow a lighter sleeping bag. The Absaroka and stove will let you get warmed up and dried out, and stay comfortable in bad weather if you keep the stove fired up. I would think any non-hunters accompanying you are going to need something active to do otherwise they will be stuck all day in the tent feeding the stove to stay comfortable.

The non Hunter use would just be for some winter camping fun, mainly.

Ya I wouldn't rely on it to stay warm overnight, but mainly to keep morale up before going to bed and to dry out socks and boots. And deter condensation a bit more.

I used a Cimmiron w/stove for a 10 day solo moose hunt. Loved the space to spread out all my stuff. I used this Tipi for many trips both solo and with a hunting partner while skiing, climbing, and biking. I always wanted more from this tipi like, a bathtub floor option, steeper sidewalls and a place up high to dry socks/gloves, etc.
I have since upgraded to the PEAX Solitude and I'll say...if I could do it over I would have just bought the Solitude first (wasn't out at that time).
This tent is a really nice upgrade with plenty of storage up high and a lot more livable space.
Maybe it's a bit heavy for what your looking for but this is just one hunters experience.

Cheers