Strong lifts 5x5

Jimbob

WKR
Anybody here do the Stronglifts 5x5 program. StrongLifts 5x5: The Simplest Workout To Get Stronger

How did you like it? You think it is a good program?

I guess it depends on your goals and what you want. I am looking to gain some overall strength and I like the big compound movements the program focuses on. 5 sets of 5 reps is something that is different and I have never done before so looking forward to that.

Also do you think it is important to be strong for the mountains or is it all about endurance? I am sure there are a bunch of mountain goats out there that have never squatted or deadlifted but can go for days on end hiking heavy loads. I have a feeling those guys have strong legs and backs as well though.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
Was just searching through the forums and I see strength and mountain hunting has been discussed already, my bad.

LostArra

WKR
I like the program and it's the main part of my strength training but being in my 60's I don't have high ceiling for continuing to add weight at each workout.

I also think cleans should be an included exercise and I do them on most days.

marktole

WKR
Stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty good, simple program. Like you said, it depends on what you want to do. Obviously I'm sure you want to get some endurance for the mountains, but if only strength was your goal I'd look into the Westside Barbell Template. You could even do Westside and supplement your training with some cardio or high intensity conditioning to keep up your endurance and have the best of both worlds.

jwatts

WKR
I have been doing it since March or April. I am enjoying it. My goals were about the same as yours. I figured doing the same workouts over and over would get boring but it hasn't. You will see some big gains at first, then they will slow down.

I used to run a lot prior to starting the program. I have gotten back to where I run 3 to 5 miles before my workouts. At first with all of the squats it put a heavy damper on my running. Once I adjusted I fell back in the groove.

I suggest getting the app on your phone. It helps track what weight you should be at and gives you warmup rep weight. You can also add accessory workouts once you get used to the primary workouts.

OP
Jimbob

Jimbob

WKR
I have been doing it since March or April. I am enjoying it. My goals were about the same as yours. I figured doing the same workouts over and over would get boring but it hasn't. You will see some big gains at first, then they will slow down.

I used to run a lot prior to starting the program. I have gotten back to where I run 3 to 5 miles before my workouts. At first with all of the squats it put a heavy damper on my running. Once I adjusted I fell back in the groove.

I suggest getting the app on your phone. It helps track what weight you should be at and gives you warmup rep weight. You can also add accessory workouts once you get used to the primary workouts.

Thanks

I have been doing it for about 3 months. I like the system. Works well for me as I get limited time in the gym. I usually do the 5x5 work out before work and do 45-60 min running or stair master after work. On the off days of the work out I do snatches, cleans , clean and jerks with light weight high reps and focus on form. The work out has helped me a lot.

bbell

WKR
I did the StrongLifts program last year for awhile. I really enjoyed doing it. For me it was a good program to build a base. I have never been one to lift very much so I started squating with 95lbs to work on form and got up to 245lbs. I am about 175lbs for reference.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did the 5x5 program last year after getting bored with my workout; I liked it and did get stronger- eventually I went back to my old workout, but incorporated some of the 5x5

this year I started the 3x5 program- similar, but I like it better (five sets would get a little lengthy)

I didn't follow either one religiously as I run 4-5 days a week, but concentrating on basic, compound exercises is always a win imo

oake

Lil-Rokslider
Just came across this thread.

Last July I began the 5x5 workout, and I do believe it increases strength. As was mentioned earlier I think it can create a good base.

What I did was 5x5 Mon., Wed., & Fri. Tues, & Thursday were cardio days. I did that for 90 days, and then rotated to a 4x10 workout, using the same workouts (squat, bench, shoulder press, rows, and dead lifts.) My plan is to do that for 90 days and alternate back and forth between the two. Just thought I'd throw this in as a way to alternate different plans/systems.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
at some point you're going to max out w/ either the 5x5 or 3x5 plans and then I think a plan B (or C) is in order; after awhile you can back

the body definitely responds positively to change ups

ScottinPA

WKR
Last year I found SL 5x5 and started on it. Continuing research found Starting Strength and I got/read the books. I switched and like SS better plus the books explain everything. While I don't agree with no cardio on off days so you recover, I did follow it until the end of July then switched to cardio. This was recommended from a SS coach. I didn't feel I was short on cardio during my hunt in Sept.
This year I'll probably run the program fro 3-4 months then switch to something for strength maintenance while working on cardio. No hunts planned this year.

Just started week 7 and finally getting into some real weight. I have never lifted before so I started at just bar weight and have worked up. Starting at bar weight was boring but really helped me form some good habits as far as form. To be honest I was hoping for some better gains but like I said I'm just getting into some serious weights. I'm glad people talked about their off day routine because I have been struggling with what to do. Working out 3 days a week is a goal I can easily accomplish so setting that attainable goal has been great for me but when I have time I want to work out more to see more results. I find myself arching my lower back on my overhead press. Any advice on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sam's dad

Lil-Rokslider
Gmoney- if you find yourself arching your lower back when you press, try to consciously lock your core before you lift. So the sequence is: half breath in, lock, lift, lower, release the breath. If that's not working, and you still find yourself arching your back, you might be lifting a bit too much weight for your current core strength. If the breath/core lock doesn't work, get someone to video you and post it so we can visualize what you are talking about. HTH.

Gmoney- if you find yourself arching your lower back when you press, try to consciously lock your core before you lift. So the sequence is: half breath in, lock, lift, lower, release the breath. If that's not working, and you still find yourself arching your back, you might be lifting a bit too much weight for your current core strength. If the breath/core lock doesn't work, get someone to video you and post it so we can visualize what you are talking about. HTH.

Thanks! I did take a video but not able to upload it using Tapatalk. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk