Triathlon/Marathon/Endurance Sports Thread

There's a lot of talk on here about health & fitness, weight loss, and being a better you. Though, I haven't seen many posts about races or events they plan on doing. Not sure if this thread will be interesting to the masses but would love to hear if anyone is doing tris, half/whole marathons, bike races, things like that to help stay in shape for the upcoming hunting season.

Here's the quick and dirty of my story:

My wife is in the healthcare business, and I hear horror stories about her patients almost daily. Most of her patients are between 65-80 and ALL are an absolute mess, some self-inflicted, some natural. They can't walk up the stairs, can't bathe themselves, can't hardly take care of themselves. I want to be hunting into my 70s if I can help it in any way possible, so about a year ago I started to really concentrate on my health. It's been an amazing journey seeing what I can accomplish, and I can honestly say I'm in 10x in better shape and healthier than I was in my 20s, 30s, and early 40s.

Looking to my first full triathlon this summer. I live in the Portland area so thinking Hagg Lake and/or Xterra Portland. I'm scared as $hit of doing something competitive again, but it's really pushed me to go to that next level.

This has NOT been an easy journey thus far. I've had injuries, plenty of time constraints, and LOTS of times where I wanted to say hell no, I'm not doing that workout today. Overall though, I have seen a huge difference in my stamina and really feel it's going to help with my hunting seasons this year. I've always been able to push myself in the mountains, but I want to go way beyond what I've done and not look back to say, I wish I'd hunted a little bit harder.

Does anyone else use the offseason to train for endurance events? Have you seen a difference in your ability with a pack on in the woods?

WKR
I'm signed up for a 50 mile ultramarathon in May. It will be my first effort beyond 50k, which I did quite a while ago.

I've checked the Ironman box (relative disaster), sprint and olympic distance triathlon, and marathons (road and trail). Did a bit of CrossFit and really enjoyed competing in Olympic weightlifting for a couple of years.

My weird and totally meaningless goal is to be a person who has snatched 100k(g) in competition and run 100k(m) in the mountains. I'm halfway there.

I'm not very good at the endurance stuff but I enjoy the experience a lot. I'm much better at strength/power sports but the injury risk is a big concern since I have a job that requires physical ability.

Having an event, or a date on the calendar, is highly motivating for me compared to an amorphous goal of being "in shape" for hunting. Hopefully I don't die.

Edit: I also work in healthcare. It's both motivating and depressing. I recently became more aware that I too am aging. For some odd reason I didn't really expect that it would happen to me too... Weird blind spot there I guess. So, as I have a general idea of what's coming down the road, I want to take advantage of what capacity I currently have, while I have it.

OP
O
A 50mi run is no joke! I enjoy running much more than my body does. Wish I can go longer distances without the soreness in my knee, which I had surgery on a year ago. It's getting better but still not the same as my other knee.

Not sure how I feel about an IM. I like the idea but will decide that after I do a couple full tris.

Yes, getting old sucks. Father time wins eventually, but I'm trying to put it off as much as possible! My watch says my fitness age is 41, so I'm gonna go with that (y)

wyogoat

WKR
I’ve been a competitive cyclist for a little over 26 years now with the 100-150 mile gravel stuff and 50-100 mile mtb races being the bulk of my racing calendar. I think it helps tremendously with being able to get around in the big mtns. I generally come into September pretty lean with solid endurance. If I’m being honest, the racing and pro training plan I do is motivated by being able to hunt all September and not be limited at all by physical limitations. If the bull is in a nasty hole, I’m going and know I can get him out of there alone.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I agree that nothing drives performance progress like having an event that you're training for. I have no problem keeping a consistent, balanced training schedule of lifting and running throughout the year, but I'm unlikely to push hard for progress in either unless there is something(mostly pride) on the line.

My current focus is adding some muscle, so I'm scaling back running to maintenance, while I up the hypertrophy work and gain some weight. Probably signing up for the Portland half marathon later this year. I'm not yet on 307's level, 50 miles would kill me.

I didn't work out a lick and then when I hit 40 I decided to get out of my comfort zone and try out triathlons. My wife thought I was nuts. I've done a bunch of sprint and Olympic distance races and have done Ironman 70.3s in Waco, Tulsa and Chattanooga. I just turned 43 yesterday.

I'm a flatlander from Texas and I've been on some guided back country mountain hunts since I began training. I've told my guide to go wherever as fast as he wants and haven't had an issue keeping up in the mountains.

1jeds

FNG
I didn't run at all until I was 30 (mid 30s now), progressed quickly into road marathons with a 2:44 time this past December.

I also completed my first mountain 100k ultra last year at high altitude and caught the bug. I'm fully transitioning over and building up to a 100 miler in July (Montana), with a 100k in 3 weeks (Colorado), and a 50 miler in June (Provo). To top it off I signed up for the Rut 50k in Big Sky in September because it looks like a good time, although the timing sucks, it is appropriately named since it's right in time for the elk rut.

I just like pushing myself to see what I'm capable of. This past weekend I had a 5 hour run on Saturday (ended up doing 29 miles in the mountains) and 4 hours on Sunday (another 24 miles). It definitely builds leg strength and I've never felt better. People keep saying running is bad for your knees, but I tend to hear that from people who don't run.

I'm sure as I get older I'll transition more into cycling or something with less impact, which I do also enjoy. I'm planning to go out of this world with no tread left on my metaphorical tires.

Olympics777

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a runner since my early teens, and I’ve run some half marathons. I think the furthest training run I’ve done is like 18 miles. I honestly just get bored on runs that are more than an hour or so, so I find it tough to train for long distance (10+miles). I’m considering trying to do some very fast peakbagging this summer with my endurance freak brother, but that’s not really competitive. Otherwise I’m just trying to get my 5 mile run down to the low 30s, maybe 31-32 minutes, we’ll see.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
The only time I ran was when I ran to the store or ran out of beer!

In my late 30's, I could no longer erase a years worth of sins in 2-3 months. So I started running in 2007. (Signed up for a 1/2) Fast Fwd. I did 9 marathons, (Finished 3 under 3 hours, including Boston) 4 50K's and 1 50m. Today, I run for long term health. 3 times a week along with other cardio/strength training.

When it comes to hunting, the endurance stuff did me well. I would add 2-3 months of pack training before each fall. (Still do).

grfox92

WKR
I'm signing up for the Big Horn Ultra 18 Mile this June. I've never done a marathon and figured I would start with the 18. Trying to run everyday even ran 25 minutes in my lunch break today.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

OP
O
Awesome stuff and glad to hear the stories and successes! Just reading these posts makes me want to push myself harder! I've got it in me to do more, just need to continue building my base.

Johnny Tyndall

Lil-Rokslider
Trail running is one of the best things you can do to condition for mountain sports (including elk hunting), IMO. Road running is not as good and not as fun, but still pretty good for you. If you're middle-aged and/or overweight take it reeeal easy at the start though, not hard to run straight into an injury.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Don't be scared to go compete. Back in the day I did a lot of different types of racing. I remember entering my first 50 miler thinking I'd get dead last and I got 3rd out of like 75 people.

yfarm

WKR
Both of my sons are training for triathlons, the youngest has run since soph year in HS, is now 39 1/2, the other is 42 and started running 7years ago. Both have done 1/2 and full marathons and the younger has finished in the upper 5-10 for his age. Both are now training with a professional coach, one remotely using the garmin watch which sends their performance data to the coach during their workouts. The youngest who outclimbed a guide 2 years ago at 11-12k ft above the south fork of the Shoshone says he has never had the exercise tolerance and output he has now. It is never too late and the benefits are lifelong as long as you avoid injury.

LeftyWilbury

Lil-Rokslider
i dont run competitively, i'm just trying to escape my problems. too bad i run real ******* slow.

the stupidest thing i did was the Rut 28k about 5 years ago. I promised myself i'd never do that again. too bad i'm getting old and forgetful and i signed up this year. the real secret to long training runs is just make poor decisions. i did almost 17 miles on sunday bc i insisted on taking "just one more trail..."

as far as helping me during hunting season, i train like i hunt. carry too much crap in my pack. make poor decisions like "just one more ridge" or "this isn't that steep"... and then if i survive there's an ice chest of beer waiting at my truck. just stay focused on your goal.

my watch says my fitness age is 41 also... probably a bug. i should email garmin about it....

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I envy you all. Get after it and go have a blast! Enjoy every minute, every step. Can no longer run due to joint and back issues but the most peaceful time in my life was running mountain ultras.

Randy

WKR
I'm signing up for the Big Horn Ultra 18 Mile this June. I've never done a marathon and figured I would start with the 18. Trying to run everyday even ran 25 minutes in my lunch break today.

I think it is already full/sold out.

OP
O
For those who struggle to run or want to get better at running faster/longer distances, Google: run slow to run faster, or 80/20 training.

That training theory blew my mind and I've never enjoyed running as much as I do now.

Before this research; every run I pushed as hard as I can for as long as I can. I was always getting injured, super sore all the time and dreaded my run days.

The general idea is that 80% of your running should be at a very slow, like VERY slow pace and keeping your heart rate under a certain level. This allows the body to build up your aerobic system, tolerance and adapt to longer runs while not beating up your body. It took me a while to get used to the slow pace and I thought for sure I'd be running slower, but sure enough, my pace runs are faster than what I was doing before this training.

*One thing of note, the other 20% needs to be HARD HARD to keep up the anaerobic system in check.

grfox92

WKR
For those who struggle to run or want to get better at running faster/longer distances, Google: run slow to run faster, or 80/20 training.

That training theory blew my mind and I've never enjoyed running as much as I do now.

Before this research; every run I pushed as hard as I can for as long as I can. I was always getting injured, super sore all the time and dreaded my run days.

The general idea is that 80% of your running should be at a very slow, like VERY slow pace and keeping your heart rate under a certain level. This allows the body to build up your aerobic system, tolerance and adapt to longer runs while not beating up your body. It took me a while to get used to the slow pace and I thought for sure I'd be running slower, but sure enough, my pace runs are faster than what I was doing before this training.

*One thing of note, the other 20% needs to be HARD HARD to keep up the anaerobic system in check.
This is what I'm currently doing, 10.5 to 11 minute miles. Soon I will start doing interval sprints.