'budget' binos

looking to pick up a second set of binos..10x42 most likely.
I currently have a 4 ish year old pair of vortex diamondbacks that have been just fine, and I would probably just run them for a while longer but I need a second pair.
the diamondbacks will stick around in the truck/as backups or be used by friends that come out with me.
When I say budget, I can't justify 1200 bucks for binos..looking to be in the 3-400 ish range.
Stick with vortex? I've been reading about Maven as well....and always been happy with my leupold scopes..anyways, as you can tell i'm not a glass snob, just want decent enough glass for the money with a good warranty in case something happens.
I don't need them today, so I can also wait around a bit for sales/deals.

Last edited:

KBC

WKR
I have the Nikon Monarch 5 after having some diamondbacks. There was a noticeable difference for not much more money.

I looked through a buddies Maven C.1 10x42 and was very impressed. I would buy those in a heartbeat. They have 15% sale going right now until the end of the year.

promo code: "C-SERIES-SPECIAL-17"

OP
blackpowderhunter
Might go swing through rei and give the nikons a look. Can get an additional 20% off right now so they would be under 300..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I would recommend the mavens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Owenst7

WKR
I'll preface this by saying I am not expert haha.

I bought a pair of Leupold BX-3 Mojave's in 8x42 when comparing them to the Diamondbacks. I felt they were comparable in glass or maybe slightly better, but the mechanical operation was much smoother. I saw the BX-4s go on sale shortly after I bought mine, and I kind of kicked myself because it was only a ~$40 upgrade, but $200 was really my budget and I'm very happy with the BX-3s. So happy in fact, that I bought a pair of Cabela's Guide 8x32s a few weeks ago on closeout for $99. I'm under the impression that these are relabeled BX-3s. The 8x32s actually have a larger field of view, and I can't tell a big difference between them at sunset. At about 7 ounces lighter, the 32s may end up being my primary binos for backpacking. The only down side I see to them is the eye relief is reduced noticably, which makes the 42s more comfortable when used for extended periods. I wish I could try the 10x32s, although I suspect that's probably asking too much of a 32mm lens in that price range.

I also have a pair of Alpen Wings ED 10x42s. These are awesome binos and I would highly recommend them. They are the nicest binos I've owned.

Nikon and Sightron also get a lot of discussion on bird forums. The BX-3 Leupolds frequently get compared as a little higher quality than the Sightron S2s and can be had on sale for just a bit more.

The Leupold Yosemite's get good reviews if you're interested in Porro's. There's some mechanical details that allow Porro's to be constructed cheaper for similar optical quality. The trade-off is roof prism construction is easier to build to be more durable and waterproof. That said, I have some 7x35 Nikon Porro's from the '80s that were my only binoculars for a couple decades in Alaska and they only fogged up on me once. They are actually built without seals and you can take them apart easily. I doubt any modern porros are sold without seals.

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
Don't rule out Alpen optics. I have a pair that I bought 8+years ago. I have put them next to some Viper HD and couldn't tell the difference.
Look around and I'm sure you could find some great deals.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
I came here thinking Diamondbacks but you have a pair. My next ones I'd be looking at based on the reviews of others are the Mavens or a Black Friday sale.

twall13

WKR
I haven't looked through them personally yet but the c series mavens are what I plan to get for my son. I love my B.2's. I know Ryan Avery recommends them whole heartedly in the budget category. He even said for the price difference he couldn't justify the B.1's over the C series.

Maven has a great warranty and is great glass for the price. That promo code mentioned above makes for a sweet deal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you've got a few minutes.
We have the Kowa BD42-10XD 10x42mm Prominar XD Binoculars on sale for only $399.99, or we can put you into an Athlon Midas for under $300.00
Thanks,
Doug

twall13

WKR
I don't have any experience with Kowa Binos but I've been impressed with their spotters. Cameraland is a solid Rokslide sponsor and will hook you up if you decide to go that route.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

WRO

WKR
Monarch 7s are nice, you can also find used Leopold gold rings or non hd meostars for that money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk