Swarovski STS 80 questions

Kindo

WKR
Alright, I've done multiple searches and found some info but most is from back in 2006ish, back when I had a full head of hair and I understand things can change over time.

I've recently been approached with a Swaro STS 80. The owner didn't know if it was HD or not and I just received the pictures today to confirm that it is in fact NOT HD.

My question(s) is/are:

Is the HD truly necessary?

Is the CA noticeable enough to warrant the cost of HD?

For those who have experience with both, what am I truly giving up with a non-HD model?

How will this compare to my Gen 1 Razor HD?

Lastly, what are some prices that I should expect to pay? The original asking price would've been a great deal on an HD model but now it is seeming more like an over-priced non-HD model. Give it to me like this: What is a steal? What is a common range to expect? What is high?

For what it's worth, I do most of my hunting in NW Wisconsin and do some glassing of fields as well as some range work. I make it to the mountains 1-2x a year for scouting/hunting. I do believe in the buy once, cry once mentality when it comes to quality gear. I also believe in love at first sight and enjoy long walks on the beach.

Thanks in advance ladies and gents

Kindo

I have the sts80 non hd. I really like it. I can not answer your comparison questions other than the price. Most I have seen bring between $1200-$1500 based on condition accessories included and time of year.
I often look at the hd series as well as the stx series and wonder what I am giving up. I just don't use it as much as my binos so my money has been spent on hd binos and tripods. JMHO.

dotman

WKR
Yes it will be better then the vortex razor, yes it will show CA in snow like conditions or where there is a bunch of white, it will not be as digiscope friendly as the HD but optically it’ll be pretty dang close.

The resale on the HD’s is around $1700 - $1900, you’ll see the non HD for $1100 - $1300. Now that the ATX/STX has been out awhile and they are coming on the used market the ATS/STS HD is losing resale value as is the non HD. If the seller is asking in the $1500 range you are better off with a Kowa 550 series.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes it will be better then the vortex razor, yes it will show CA in snow like conditions or where there is a bunch of white, it will not be as digiscope friendly as the HD but optically it’ll be pretty dang close.

The resale on the HD’s is around $1700 - $1900, you’ll see the non HD for $1100 - $1300. Now that the ATX/STX has been out awhile and they are coming on the used market the ATS/STS HD is losing resale value as is the non HD. If the seller is asking in the $1500 range you are better off with a Kowa 550 series.
Are those prices with eyepiece?

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. The original deal was going to be 1500-1600 but it was thought it was an HD model. Now that we know its not HD, he only wanted to drop 100 bucks off the price. I guess I'll just keep using my peasant glass until I find my deal! ;)

Thanks again!

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
I have the sts80 non hd. I really like it. I can not answer your comparison questions other than the price. Most I have seen bring between $1200-$1500 based on condition accessories included and time of year.
I often look at the hd series as well as the stx series and wonder what I am giving up. I just don't use it as much as my binos so my money has been spent on hd binos and tripods. JMHO.

Thanks Brian. Yeah, I kind of feel the same as you. Last year I stumbled into a great deal on a pair of Swaro ELs and I caught the bug. Browsing this forum hasn't helped the situation much though either...

dotman

WKR
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. The original deal was going to be 1500-1600 but it was thought it was an HD model. Now that we know its not HD, he only wanted to drop 100 bucks off the price. I guess I'll just keep using my peasant glass until I find my deal! ;)

Thanks again!

Good choice

Are you sure its not hd?
I would ask because I listened to the hunt backcountry podcast and the swaro rep said that they stopped marketing hd because the was no industry standard on what hd ment and they felt the waters were muddied on the subject.
Maybe call swaro with the serial number.

OP
Kindo

Kindo

WKR
Are you sure its not hd?
I would ask because I listened to the hunt backcountry podcast and the swaro rep said that they stopped marketing hd because the was no industry standard on what hd ment and they felt the waters were muddied on the subject.
Maybe call swaro with the serial number.

Yeah, I’ve got pictures of the box and unit and serial puts it at 2004. The thing is in like new condition but I just can’t justify it for being a couple models old. That’s interesting to hear from the podcast though. I may shoot them an email as their CS seems to be top notch.

Thanks
Ben

Episode 103 if you listen to pod casts at all some pretty interesting points.
The hole meaning of hd and why they quit marketing it was interesting.
If I remember rite I think it was just coatings that make different colors pop but I can't remember for sure.