Maven B2's - 9x or 11x thoughts?

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'm demo'ing the 11's at the moment. Upgrading from a 10x Nikon Monarch. Trying to choose between powers and was hoping to hear some thoughts on choosing 9 or 11 power. Either way running these off of a slick 624 or pro master tripod as soon as I can decide which one suits my needs better.

Here's what I've got:

Reasons for 9x
- more stable image
- larger exit pupil
- more useful in timber

Reasons for 11x
- stuff is closer, picking out details.
- closer to what I'm used to running 10's?
- it's my only optic (no spotter) so a little closer view may be more useful?

Any thoughts one way or the other would be appreciated. Thanks!

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you're hunting is a combination of walking and glassing sessions, I like the lower power. If it's all glassing all the time off a tripod then the higher powers. We have a video on those 9x on our YouTube channel tested against the Swaro and the Zeiss. Loaded August 17 if you need to search

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
If you're hunting is a combination of walking and glassing sessions, I like the lower power. If it's all glassing all the time off a tripod then the higher powers. We have a video on those 9x on our YouTube channel tested against the Swaro and the Zeiss. Loaded August 17 if you need to search

Thanks Robby I hadn't seen the video, I'll check it out. I'm starting to think the 9's would be good, I'm mostly bow hunting......

I have the 11x and really only like using them off a tripod. If these will be your primary optic, go with the 9x.

Don't get me wrong, the 11x are good, I just can't hand hold them steady enough to replace my 8x42's that stay on me all the time.

Firehawk

WKR
Im in the same boat as Brightwhite. I can't hold a 10x steady enough without a tripod. An 11x would be more of the same issue. My 9x have been terrific, but I still see some shake that I don't notice with an 8x.

Love my B2s though. Terrific binocular.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
To follow up, I did discuss this with Brendon at Maven as well and wanted to post a little bit of our discussion in case anyone else is debating a bino purchase. He mentioned they do sell more binos in the higher magnifications than the lower ones, but most of the time the guys there preferred the lower mag units. I was leaning towards a 9x for the better low light performance and field of view, and that's what they suggested based on my typical terrain. The way he broke it down was at what focus point do I do most of my glassing - infinity (or super far, making the 11's a good choice) or do I mix in some closer stuff (bowhunting timber, free handing more) in my travels. That made it easy - 9x it is.

I was also contemplating some 10x30 B3's......I discussed this with Cade as the lighter footprint and weight is desirable to me, but he strongly recommended against making that my primary optic, especially for gridding the hillside for game.

To follow up, I did discuss this with Brendon at Maven as well and wanted to post a little bit of our discussion in case anyone else is debating a bino purchase. He mentioned they do sell more binos in the higher magnifications than the lower ones, but most of the time the guys there preferred the lower mag units. I was leaning towards a 9x for the better low light performance and field of view, and that's what they suggested based on my typical terrain. The way he broke it down was at what focus point do I do most of my glassing - infinity (or super far, making the 11's a good choice) or do I mix in some closer stuff (bowhunting timber, free handing more) in my travels. That made it easy - 9x it is.

I was also contemplating some 10x30 B3's......I discussed this with Cade as the lighter footprint and weight is desirable to me, but he strongly recommended against making that my primary optic, especially for gridding the hillside for game.

That is a great way of looking at what power you should go with...

On the B3's... I was looking at the 8x30's for the same reason as you, size and weight savings. But, I did not like the B3 at all and certainly could not imagine long glassing sessions with them. I also did not like the Maven B1's, but the B2's are nice....all personal preference.

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the majority opinion of the 9x45. My nephew's FIL took one look at mine and went and ordered an 11x45. In his view more magnification is just better. He likes his 11's a lot. However I think it is easier to glass with the 9x. The BIG thing I notice is that the 11x has a noticeably shallower depth of focus. This is just what happens as you go up in magnification. To me the drop in depth of focus really starts to be a factor as soon as I get above 10x. For me that means a tripod. For me a tripod means 15x, that is where the magnification difference really begins to shine. I can see no image size difference that amounts to anything of significance in my 9x45 B2 vs my 10x42 B1 so I would not let the 9x vs 10x difference worry me too much. It is a far too common mistake for people to think like my nephew's FIL and go for more. Some people like it, but for just sit down and use it a lot, you brain will thank you for the 9x, not so much the higher stuff. However magnification choice is an intensely personal decision, so ultimately the magnification has to be your call.

I have found nothing better for the size of the B2 than the Rick Young Outdoors harness, DO not let the lightweight appearance of this thing fool you. It is good stuff.

I can think of no use for handheld binoculars I can't be prepared for with my current go to combo of the 8x30 B3 and the 9x45 B2.

OP
MT_Wyatt

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Thanks for your thoughts Steve, I appreciate you lending your expertise. Your reviews of the binos were extremely helpful.

To close the loop on this, I did finally pull the trigger on a set of 9x B2's. I'm looking forward to getting them on a tripod and classing for bears here once the spring gets started.

I agree with the majority opinion of the 9x45. My nephew's FIL took one look at mine and went and ordered an 11x45. In his view more magnification is just better. He likes his 11's a lot. However I think it is easier to glass with the 9x. The BIG thing I notice is that the 11x has a noticeably shallower depth of focus. This is just what happens as you go up in magnification. To me the drop in depth of focus really starts to be a factor as soon as I get above 10x. For me that means a tripod. For me a tripod means 15x, that is where the magnification difference really begins to shine. I can see no image size difference that amounts to anything of significance in my 9x45 B2 vs my 10x42 B1 so I would not let the 9x vs 10x difference worry me too much. It is a far too common mistake for people to think like my nephew's FIL and go for more. Some people like it, but for just sit down and use it a lot, you brain will thank you for the 9x, not so much the higher stuff. However magnification choice is an intensely personal decision, so ultimately the magnification has to be your call.

I have found nothing better for the size of the B2 than the Rick Young Outdoors harness, DO not let the lightweight appearance of this thing fool you. It is good stuff.

I can think of no use for handheld binoculars I can't be prepared for with my current go to combo of the 8x30 B3 and the 9x45 B2.

I was trying to PM but it looks like I am too new. I was hoping you could make a suggestion on your 10x B1 vs the 9x B2. I have both demos here now and while I like the light transmission at low light on the B2, I don’t see a ton of difference during the day and I like the size of the B1. I mainly hunt deer and turkey in the Midwest and once every 2 years make a trip out west.

Any advice would be helpful as I am hoping to make the purchase at this time. Thanks!!!

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
Essentially the B 1 is a smaller binocular. I realize the spec sheet gives a transmission advantage to the B 2. Once you get to the level of an honest 90% total transmission, there just not a lot of improvement to be had. The top if the SP prisms like the B 1 is about 92%. The AK prism of the B2 is about 94%. It will take an honest 5% improvement to enable the eye to see a difference. There is likely not enough remaining improvement to do that.

In my opinion there is not enough detail difference between 9x and 10x to tell the tale. If you can't tell what you need with either, it is time for the spotter, or get closer.

Sorry I did not see this sooner.

Last edited:

freedomhunter25

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the 9x45 , Initially I wanted them as a in between from my 8 x42 and my 12x 50. After one season of mixed hunts in 3 different states . I now just use the 9x for everything , including scouting and 3d archery range . They work for 90 or 95 percent of what I do . great glass.

I was very apprehensive to buy the 11X myself but after I ordered them I couldn't be happier. I was scared that I couldn't hold them steady enough but have found that isn't the case. I use mine for everything from Colorado elk hunt, North Dakota Badlands hunting, tree stand hunting and shooting 3d tournaments. In my mind I couldn't have mad a better choice than going with 11X

I did the demo program and got the 10x42 b1 and the 9x45 b2.

To my eyes there was not much difference during the day. At twilight I could see more with the b2 so I went with those. I liked the size of the b1 better though.

Have y’all found the 9 is better to run alongside a spotter vs the 11? Thinking the 11 would be a little more redundant if you have 15s or a spotter in your kit. I’m looking at a good “all arounder” to replace my 10x42 vipers.

Firehawk

WKR
I run my 9s mainly because I notice the shake pretty bad once I am at 10x and higher. I usually pack my Maven CS1 spotter or my Meostar 15x binos if I expect to spend a lot of time gridding the landscape etc. But I always have the 9x and I use them often on my tripod as well.

My friends run 11x B2s and they usually carry their spotters as well. Although, one who is more of a "weight weenie" is more prone to leave his spotter at home or in the truck and just glass off the tripod with his 11x. They are really nice from a tripod too, but I can usually see well enough with my 9s to not miss anything he is seeing with his 11s. I notice a much bigger difference when I move to a 15x bino though.

I run my 9s mainly because I notice the shake pretty bad once I am at 10x and higher. I usually pack my Maven CS1 spotter or my Meostar 15x binos if I expect to spend a lot of time gridding the landscape etc. But I always have the 9x and I use them often on my tripod as well.

My friends run 11x B2s and they usually carry their spotters as well. Although, one who is more of a "weight weenie" is more prone to leave his spotter at home or in the truck and just glass off the tripod with his 11x. They are really nice from a tripod too, but I can usually see well enough with my 9s to not miss anything he is seeing with his 11s. I notice a much bigger difference when I move to a 15x bino though.
We’re you able to tell a difference in low light between the two? I read some conflicting info on which is supposed to be better, if it all.

Firehawk

WKR
We’re you able to tell a difference in low light between the two? I read some conflicting info on which is supposed to be better, if it all.
Both seem perfectly adequate for legal shooting light. Twilight factor will theoretically be better with the 11x, but the higher exit pupil on the 9x probably overcomes that perceived issue.

Again, while on a tripod, I noticed little difference. Hand holding, well that is where I am much more comfortable with the 9x.

Also, I do recall a couple intense glassing sessions where I was watching animals as it was getting dark. I was surprised when I got off the glass, at how dark it really was and that I was seeing as well as I did. Haven't taken the opportunity to use the 11x during that type of scenario to compare though. I have looked through them before legal and after legal shooting light and was able to make out details, depending on the situation, brush, backdrop etc.

Both seem perfectly adequate for legal shooting light. Twilight factor will theoretically be better with the 11x, but the higher exit pupil on the 9x probably overcomes that perceived issue.

Again, while on a tripod, I noticed little difference. Hand holding, well that is where I am much more comfortable with the 9x.

Also, I do recall a couple intense glassing sessions where I was watching animals as it was getting dark. I was surprised when I got off the glass, at how dark it really was and that I was seeing as well as I did. Haven't taken the opportunity to use the 11x during that type of scenario to compare though. I have looked through them before legal and after legal shooting light and was able to make out details, depending on the situation, brush, backdrop etc.

Same. I do t put them on a tripod. Liked the wider field of view on the 9s.