Talk me into or out of kowa spotter, 554 vs 773 vs 883

Best kowa spotter to do it all/all around spotter size/model

Votes: 13 9.8%

Votes: 79 59.8%

Votes: 40 30.3%

• Total voters

TheGDog

WKR
I wanted, more than anything, to love my 554 when I got it. But, I couldn't get over the tiny field of view so I sold it and went back to my 664. I only use a spotter to get a better look at what I've found with my binos, and even at that I still found the 554 miserable to use.
Thank you for this comment!

I'd been kicking around the idea of going to the 554 because I'm not happy with the lil Vortex spotter since I wear glasses and to use max magnification I actually have to touch my glasses upon it's eyepiece. Because I DO NOT want to have to remove my glasses in the field, that's just begging to drop them. And when that's happened, this one lens pops out then I gotta fuss with popping it back in, all with blurry vision. I do always bring a backup pair of glasses though just in case. But I like my "hunting glasses" the most. Their BiFocals I had the optometrist specifically skew the Rx geared toward distance viewing. And reduced the amount of real estate the reading part takes up since I'd only need that when processing the animal. And the size of the lenses are such that most bugs can't get underneath of them for it extends up to my brow and downward to beginning of my cheek bones, nice wide unobstructed viewport area! There almost no frame in my FOV! So I'm walking around with magnification even before I raise up some binos!

This one. Please excuse my rusty memory, it is actually 1.1 lbs. It demands sitting and is only good for a very light spotter like the 55 or a pair of binos.

I also use the Aoka with my Kowa 55. It’s a perfect match and the price is incredible. I have a Gitzo Mountaineer and this little carbon tripod is like a miniature version of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1c85a05da39d474c38c7492d93fdc0df.jpg

Kowa 55 with Aoka 1.1 lb carbon tripod at minimum extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheGDog

WKR
This one. 1.04lbs with a RRS BPC-16 head. I guess 1.1 with the head that it comes with. It demands sitting and is only good for a very light spotter like the 55 or a pair of binos.View attachment 341374
Well "Gary Christmas" to me then! I'm gonna give this a try!

I just use my 10s and 15s mostly, so this should be fine. I'm not the biggest fan of twist lock, but oh wel. I prefer the cantilever lockouts because they make minor adjustments while on a slope easier. But as long as it's secure when twist-locked-out I can deal with it.

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
I cut down the Aoka centre column to make a 4" centre column extension (that can go to 7"). Maintained adequate stability while making the small tripod a bit more useable on slopes etc. The extra height is needed for Binos or a 554

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    340 KB · Views: 54

TheGDog

WKR
I think this should work just about right since I'm using that Micro Pan Head and Tall Bino Adapter from Outdoorsman's, bought the tall since that was recommended for 15x.

Meh... looks like with shipping arrival date I should have it in my hands to test before my last outing this season.

Last edited:

Kostrize

WKR
I have the 553 and kinda wish I had gone with the 554. For those with the bigger 88 series, would you recommend the 883 with the rotating collar over the 884? Most of my glassing is seated and horizontal or downhill

Sometimes I wish my 883 was the 884 when I am glassing downhill, but I can also get away with a shorter tripod while standing. I think as long as your tripod is stable at the standing height required for the 884, there's no downside to going for the straight.

TheGDog

WKR
Personally if I get a spotter again, it'll be straight. For two reasons.

1) If I'm on something with Binos.... it's just take binos off the Outdoorsman's, than slide on spotter with an already mounted 1/4-20 adapter plate, and boom you'd be already pretty much still on the target object.

2) If habitat vegetation has height to it, be it tall grasses or chaparral... if your angled doesn't have ability to rotate itself sideways or downward... (Which my lil Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm did not, and I think also the Kowa 553 does not) you're often EFF'd in terms of being able to look at the thing/area YOU can see with your eyes, because your body is tall enough to peer over X or Y obstruction, but ya can't get that angled situated in a way to be able to see over the obstruction, not unless it's a spotter where the you can rotate it about it's line of sight axis. YES... angled are typically considered more comfortable for longer viewing sessions, and I'd agree with that. But since I'd tend to scan with the binos first, seems like for my style having both be straight would be needed to help save time and effort in getting back on that animal again, especially if that animal is quite a distance away.

Just thinking out loud here.

99% of my stationary glassing is done with quality 10.5X44 binos on the tripod. The spotter only comes out to get a better look, and to assess trophy quality before investing time and boot leather.

The spectacular image quality and compact light weight of the 554 is perfect for my needs. Yeah, I might sacrifice FOV for that compact package, but I'm only interested in seeing the animal at that point, and not his surroundings. Since my primary use of the spotter is not scanning, the smaller FOV is really not even an issue.

There is no such thing as the perfect spotter. If any optic is going to excell in one area, it is going to suffer in another as a result....be it weight/size, FOV, eye relief etc.

For the way I hunt, I'll take the 554 and live with the smaller FOV. My buddies can haul the 77s and 88s.

Last edited:

antlerz

Lil-Rokslider
99% of my stationary glassing is done with quality 10.5X44 binos on the tripod. The spotter only comes out to get a better look, and to assess trophy quality before investing time and boot leather.

The spectacular image quality and compact light weight of the 554 is perfect for my needs. Yeah, I might sacrifice FOV for that compact package, but I'm only interested in seeing the animal at that point, and not his surroundings. Since my primary use of the spotter is not scanning, the smaller FOV is really not even an issue.

There is no such thing as the perfect spotter. If any optic is going to excell in one area, it is going to suffer in another as a result....be it weight/size, FOV, eye relief etc.

For the way I hunt, I'll take the 554 and live with the smaller FOV. My buddies can haul the 77s and 88s.
The smaller FOV is less of an issue with a 554 straight spotter because its a little easier to align and get on target. It does the job nicely and even has a significant weight saving over my ATS65 (30 oz lighter including light tripod) as well as much less room in the pack.
An angled 773 will be nicer to use but do you want to carry it?

tdhanses

WKR
Personally if I get a spotter again, it'll be straight. For two reasons.

1) If I'm on something with Binos.... it's just take binos off the Outdoorsman's, than slide on spotter with an already mounted 1/4-20 adapter plate, and boom you'd be already pretty much still on the target object.

2) If habitat vegetation has height to it, be it tall grasses or chaparral... if your angled doesn't have ability to rotate itself sideways or downward... (Which my lil Vortex Razor 11-33x50mm did not, and I think also the Kowa 553 does not) you're often EFF'd in terms of being able to look at the thing/area YOU can see with your eyes, because your body is tall enough to peer over X or Y obstruction, but ya can't get that angled situated in a way to be able to see over the obstruction, not unless it's a spotter where the you can rotate it about it's line of sight axis. YES... angled are typically considered more comfortable for longer viewing sessions, and I'd agree with that. But since I'd tend to scan with the binos first, seems like for my style having both be straight would be needed to help save time and effort in getting back on that animal again, especially if that animal is quite a distance away.

Just thinking out loud here.
I’ve found angle vs straight doesn’t matter when changing from binos, the objective of both is roughly in the same place, may have to move your head more but in reality you still have to adjust the spotter.

In the end it’s just personal preference.

I’ll give my .02. So not worth much. I have both the 883 and the 553. Each has a pretty specific role for me. The 553 rides on the above mentioned Aoka tripod. That combo is awesome for any trip that is a backpacking trip. Light weight, small, and great imaging for what that package is. You can’t beat it. The 883 and big tripod go with me on any trip that is a “day hunt”. This means ATV/truck/base camp hunting. Part of this decision is actually based on space/size as much as it is on weight. The 883 takes up a lot of space, as does the tripod that is needed to support it. I would assume the 773 falls into a very similar category. This 883 combo is also the combo I take any time “inches matter”. Gives great imaging and resolution and allows you to really “see” the size.

Ultimately this decision will be more about what you are trying to accomplish with your setup. If your like me and you are just trying to verify if it’s a shooter elk/deer/Etc, then the 553 will almost always give you more than enough. Especially when backpacking. If you’re constantly hunting from a truck/atv and trying to decide between a 350 vs a 370 bull elk, go with the 883. You will appreciate that extra size over the 773 and particularly the fluorite lens.

WyoKid

WKR
It has all been said here by others.... personally, I have the 55 as I mostly backpack hunt and at 145 lbs I have really watch how much weight I carry into the mountains since gear + a hind quarter of a bull can add up. I love the clarity in this size and weight but you give up field of view. If I didn't have to pack it, or if I was using horses, I would definitely go with the bigger 88. 77 is a good middle ground. Also look to renting if you want to try out different glass before buying.

OP
Tall_Vol44
I appreciate all the info fellas! I'm think I'm gonna go with the 88 and then pick up a 55 at some point down the line if one pops up for a steal on here.

Deciding to go with the 88 b/c it's not that much bigger than the 77 and I think once I hit a situation where the 77 isn't bringing in enough light or anything I might think is sub-par, I'll wish I had the 88. But if I start with the 88, I know there's not much better without going to a 95/99 or bigger.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like you have plenty of responses already but I will give my two cents having owned and used most of the premium spotters including those you have mentioned. To my eye the 88 kowa is optically the best of any 80-mm class spotter. The optical advantage may be somewhat small but it was the winner over the 85 atx and leica 82 when comparing them side by side at dusk and resolving dead branches at 5 miles. My only complaint is that the kowa suffers from a cold, unprotected metal housing (but this can be solved with some non-stick camo tape). Brightness, color, CA, edge clarity, etc, are all are all absolutely excellent on the kowa. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on the new 99.

I have not owned the 77 kowa but the weight difference between the 77 and 88 isn't enough to downgrade, in my opinion. Plus, by downgrading to the 77 you will loose the pure flourite lense found in the 88. Additionally, if you ever use kowas 1.6x extender, you will need the largest objective possible. The kowa 55 is great for the small size, best in class by far, but a quality 65mm scope will significantly outfperform and is well worth the extra weight. I personally find myself grabbing my 65mm swaro hd spotter 95% of the time I may be packing the weight around. If weight is of no concern I would go with the 88 kowa.

A kowa rep has mentioned that a new pure flourite 66mm spotter is in the pipeline. If so I can almost guarantee it will be the new top performer in the size class but kowa took soooo long releasing the new 99 that I would bet it will be at least a year or more before any more details are made public.

tdhanses

WKR
Looks like you have plenty of responses already but I will give my two cents having owned and used most of the premium spotters including those you have mentioned. To my eye the 88 kowa is optically the best of any 80-mm class spotter. The optical advantage may be somewhat small but it was the winner over the 85 atx and leica 82 when comparing them side by side at dusk and resolving dead branches at 5 miles. My only complaint is that the kowa suffers from a cold, unprotected metal housing (but this can be solved with some non-stick camo tape). Brightness, color, CA, edge clarity, etc, are all are all absolutely excellent on the kowa. I honestly can't wait to get my hands on the new 99.

I have not owned the 77 kowa but the weight difference between the 77 and 88 isn't enough to downgrade, in my opinion. Plus, by downgrading to the 77 you will loose the pure flourite lense found in the 88. Additionally, if you ever use kowas 1.6x extender, you will need the largest objective possible. The kowa 55 is great for the small size, best in class by far, but a quality 65mm scope will significantly outfperform and is well worth the extra weight. I personally find myself grabbing my 65mm swaro hd spotter 95% of the time I may be packing the weight around. If weight is of no concern I would go with the 88 kowa.

A kowa rep has mentioned that a new pure flourite 66mm spotter is in the pipeline. If so I can almost guarantee it will be the new top performer in the size class but kowa took soooo long releasing the new 99 that I would bet it will be at least a year or more before any more details are made public.
The 77 goes on sale every year it seems and is under $2k all day compete, more like $1800 or $1900, to me the price bump wasn’t worth the 88 and while the 77 isn’t as good it’s no slouch, the 1.6 extender also works very well with it when atmospheric conditions allow.

That said if your willing to spend close to $3k for the 88 that’s what i would do over the 77.

dapesche

WKR
just keeping the discussion going.

I'm stuck between the 773 or 883.

I have 15s so the 553 is not different enough to warrant that spotter. I need the magnification.

Any input from the folks that have had the 883 and downsized to the 773, or visa versa (773 to 883)?
any noticeable difference that was better or worse after you made the switch?