My 1st NM Big Horn Scouting Trip

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Definitely tuned in Chad...Thanks for posting. Anyone have an estimate on the size of those Rams?

As long as they are both even and not busted on the hidden side the close one should push 168 and the younger ram is probably 164-166. The california ram in my avatar is a 159 official B&C. Both of those are bigger. I don't know the area but I would do reasearch and find out what people have been killing in that unit. 170 is on the smaller side for rockies but if the biggest ones killed are in the 170 range you found yourself some potential shooters. However there could be 180-190 rams in that unit i just don't know the area.

Buster

WKR
I'm not an expert at all but I'm trying to learn so I'll give my guesses and then the experts can tell me just how wrong I am. Closest ram I have as 9 years old and 164 to 167 and the far ram as 8 years old and 155 to 159.

I think you're a few inches low.

Fixitman

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome pics !! Worked out of Demming few years ago. We took some long weekend trips up to that part of the world. Some of the prettiest country around. Good luck and keep us posted.

Buster

WKR
Buster , you've seen a few rams so what's your guess ?

I have no idea what the base genetics are in that area, and am in no way an expert on judging sheep in general, so don't hold me to numbers. The first thing that came to my mind was a low/mid 170's and a mid/high 170's ram. That said, I could be several inches out. Even in my home area, rams can fool everybody. Large bodies and heads, deep curls, abnormally large gaps between horns, curls that turn up early, base shape, and so many other things have to be taken into account to accurately judge rams. (On top of knowing historical data on the area). I would love to hear guys chime in that are from the area. I love learning about curls.

Buster

WKR
I also hope that numbers mean nothing to CW 12, and the memories fill the "score sheet".

OP
CW_12

CW_12

FNG
I really hope to get this done with my bow. Any one else can feel free to help me judging these two Rams. I go back in late July for anther scouting trip so maybe I can have more pics to judge.

My grandparents have a place in NM Unit 34 (Cloudcroft NM) so I get to enjoy that awesome country and it is 2 1/2 hours away. With that said I think I will be back many times to the Pecos for fishing and just packing in with my boys.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm no expert either but I'd have either one of those on my wall.
Nice pics and it looks like you are gonna have a hoot.

Randy

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
Here are some more Pecos rams. Pictures are taken by myself and my brother in 2008 so they are probably all dead by now. The last one with the thin tips was killed that same year and I think went in the low 170's. He had the potential to be a monster. I don't know that the other 2 were ever killed. The big ones have a habit of disappearing into the trees during hunting season.

Buster, The top scoring ram ever killed in the unit was 190 5/8 Net B&C after the drying period. The next closest was a 189 4/8 Net sheep. The base measurements on these sheep do not tend to be real big, but some of them really hold what mass they do have.

OP
CW_12

CW_12

FNG
Hunt4life, those are some awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. What month were the pictures taken??

Shrek

WKR
Beautiful photos. I'd be robbing Peter , Paul , John , Luke and the rest to get out and scout if I had that tag in pocket ! I don't think you could ask for a more beautiful place to scout and hunt for a sheep.

OP
CW_12

CW_12

FNG
The first 3 were the middle of June and the last ones were in the end of July.

They really lose that winter coat in July I'm guessing. They were a little shaggy on this trip. But every pic I see after July they look awesome!!

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
Sounds like a great start to an awesome adventure, I look forward to following your hunt on this thread and can't wait to hear about your next scout trip!. You must have been blown away when you received a successful draw letter, I know I would have been!!

boom

WKR
These were from last week also NM. Babies. I'd love a crack at one with a bow. Good luck

5yjujuny.jpg

usetuvas.jpg