Sheep Capture

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
Feb 3 and 4th, I volunteered with the Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation to capture Bighorn Sheep with the Idaho Department of Fish and Game.

I'm writing this to encourage you to be a part of the Wild Sheep Foundation on a national and local level. Sheep do not support themselves like deer and elk, there's just not enough tags to get the proper funding.

I got an email the week before the capture, saying they needed volunteers. I knew I had to be a part of it. This was my first time volunteering with IDWSF.

The captures that I was apart of were along the Salmon River. The main objective was to catch 8 ewes that had previously tested positive for Movi (a respiratory disease). We wanted to see: do they still test positive? Are they positive but relatively healthy? Are they positive and sick (etc.)? if they test positive twice, they are culled.

The process: a plane would fly around using telemetry to find the Sheep. After the plane found them, he radioed to a helicopter with their location. The helicopter would then try to find the specific ewes that previously tested positive (they call them "dirty girls"). Once the dirty girls were identified, a crew member used a net gun to capture the Sheep. After the Sheep was caught a "mugger" would go down, blind fold, and hobble the Sheep. After the Sheep was hobbled they put her in a "sling" and attached her to the bottom of the helicopter and flew her to us at the "sling site." Once the Sheep touched down, we got her over to a scale and weighed her. After we weighed her, we laid her down on a tarp and immediately checked her temperature. If she was too warm we put snow and water on her to cool her down. We kept a constant eye on that temperature. Then all at the same time we got an age on her, we took blood, a nasal swab, an ultrasound of her back to make sure she had a good amount of fat, we also did an ultrasound to see if she was pregnant, we looked for scabies and any other injuries, finally we added ear tags and a GPS collar to track them. Once we were done with our testing we carried them away from our tools and released her. We caught 15 ewes the first day and I think 18 the second.

This was a pretty amazing experience and I encourage any one who has the opportunity to go on one of these, to do it.

It was hard to get some good pics because of all the people.
20240203_153402.jpg20240203_121555.jpg20240203_120617.jpg20240204_135309.jpg

OP
JREG19

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
I have historically been very critical of IDFG, something I didn't realize was that everything they do has to be approved by state legislature, causing politics to dictate management, rather than biology.

A great experience for sure. Glad you were able to participate. Any info on how many tested positive twice?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OP
JREG19

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
It's my understanding, it takes a couple of weeks to get the results (I may be way off with that number, I'm not a details guy). I will definitely try to follow up with that.

They were planning on capturing over 100 sheep over the last week, so it should be a lot of good data.

pugwylde

FNG
As a fellow Idaho hunter, how did you end up on the request for volunteers list? Just a byproduct of previously joining? Buying a tag?

Thanks for the share!

OP
JREG19

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
As a fellow Idaho hunter, how did you end up on the request for volunteers list? Just a byproduct of previously joining? Buying a tag?

Thanks for the share!
I am a member of the Idaho Wild Sheep Foundation and they sent out an email looking for volunteers.

OP
JREG19

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
The cost of this project was being paid for by IDFG, IDWSF, WSF, the Eastern Chapter, and Midwest Chapter.

Reactions: TVW
That looks like an amazing experience. It also opens your eyes to the work our Fish and Game do to preserve the health of our wildlife.

OP
JREG19

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
That looks like an amazing experience. It also opens your eyes to the work our Fish and Game do to preserve the health of our wildlife.
Sure does, it's easy to be critical from the outside looking in. I'm very impressed how the IDWSF and IDFG are working together to "enhance wild sheep populations in Idaho."

OP
JREG19

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
Did they share the pregnancy rate with you?
Good question, I don't know the exact percentage but I would guess around 80-90%. I only worked about half of the Sheep and out of them I only remember 2 that weren't pregnant. One being a yearling and the other was like 20lbs under weight. IDFG will be publishing this data at some point.

Last edited:

Rabbit46

FNG
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your post and looking at the pictures you shared!

Thank you for volunteering and making a difference for the sheep!

OP
JREG19

JREG19

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading your post and looking at the pictures you shared!

Thank you for volunteering and making a difference for the sheep!
Thanks for the comment. I thought it was really interesting and thought others might as well. I think these captures are going to be an annual thing, if you can get the chance to go on one, it's worth it!

cbarg14

FNG
Volunteered the last couple days. Very productive!
72274bd21b332160df64c2fde6db00e7.jpg
fb3e884c845fb95faec1d1fbb342d4ae.jpg
8607c48f8d34dc80255b982757a53186.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk