suggestion on first sheep hunt (where)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow- that's a great tip! Had never even heard of that. Fortunately I do have a job where I can go on pretty short notice and kids are grown so no issues there. You're correct, I wouldn't workout any differently than I am currently so that's a non-issue as well. Setting aside 10k would be much easier than setting aside 20k :)

204guy

WKR
No problem. I'd feel pretty comfortable with about 13-14K in the bank and being ready to jump on a hunt. Don't forget travel costs, tags and the tip. Some cancellation hunts come up through brokers but I doubt they're the best way to get one since they got to make some $ too. Best thing to do would be to research the outfitters you want to hunt with and call them or email them say you want to get on there cancellation list. Others that have actually done it may be able to help you better. Be upfront with the outfitter about were you are at physically and financially. I can tell you that sheep outfitters absolutely love a guy that is in shape and mentally ready to get after it. Unbelievable how many guys will put up the money for a sheep hunt but don't prepare physically or become proficient with there weapon. Those guys pay the going rate, but they absolutely kill the success rates for the outfitters. They are also a lot more work for everyone and frustrate the hell out of the guides.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
No problem. I'd feel pretty comfortable with about 13-14K in the bank and being ready to jump on a hunt. Don't forget travel costs, tags and the tip. Some cancellation hunts come up through brokers but I doubt they're the best way to get one since they got to make some $ too. Best thing to do would be to research the outfitters you want to hunt with and call them or email them say you want to get on there cancellation list. Others that have actually done it may be able to help you better. Be upfront with the outfitter about were you are at physically and financially. I can tell you that sheep outfitters absolutely love a guy that is in shape and mentally ready to get after it. Unbelievable how many guys will put up the money for a sheep hunt but don't prepare physically or become proficient with there weapon. Those guys pay the going rate, but they absolutely kill the success rates for the outfitters. They are also a lot more work for everyone and frustrate the hell out of the guides.

this is on the money on all points.

Kimbersig

WKR
What's the protocol / etiquette for finding and getting on a cancellation hunt?

you can usually email guides/outfitters to ask to be put on their lists. However, from my experience they usually give the first crack at their previous clients but its definitely worth trying. there is a website called cancelationhunts.com that sometimes has good deals. Huntinfool posts cancelation hunts too.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
What's the protocol / etiquette for finding and getting on a cancellation hunt?

call and let them know you are interested. Be honest with people, but if you have the following most logical outfitters won't shun you... schedule flexibility, money to send right now if a good opportunity comes up, and no physical limitations. Just realize if you pass on a opportunity, you are basically off the list forever.

unfortunately the best repeat clientele almost always lack flexibility. most outfitters do try to treat them, but it hardly ever works out.

follow guys on facebook/instagram,etc... many guides and outfitters (including me) use that for last minute stuff.

dotman

WKR
Another good option, attend an SCI banquet, I've seen grizz hunts go for $8k and sheep have been reasonable at times. Just don't go to the really poplular ones. Here in KC you can usually get a smoking deal at a banquet.

But again have to have cash on hand and be ready to not have an opportunity to win the auction.