Need advice on first time caribou hunt.

BurtonGus

FNG
Hello,

I have a friend who lives in North Pole, Alaska. It’s pretty close to Fairbanks. I would love to do a caribou hunt but I don’t even know where to start. He and his wife will be moving back to Arizona in the next couple years so I would like to capitalize on the offer to visit sooner rather than later. My friend is not a hunter so he have any information.
Any advice on where to start? Can I get a caribou tag as a non-resident or is draw only? Is that a good area? I am looking to go DIY. I don’t necessarily need the full AK experience; bush plane in somewhere and fight off grizzlies. I would like to see AK and hunt caribou to bring some meat home to my family.
I’m all ears if you guys have some advice.

Thanks in advance.

VernAK

WKR
You are visiting the best site for your needs. Dig around a bit in the old threads.

About your only opportunity for a caribou from the road system is the Haul Road and you have to walk off 5 miles in tundra to rifle hunt....archers can hunt in the 5 mile area.

The Steese Highway has been a madhouse for road hunters the past few years but that is about to change.

Perhaps others can post some ideas for you but I don't think it's going to be easy.

OP
B

BurtonGus

FNG
You are visiting the best site for your needs. Dig around a bit in the old threads.

About your only opportunity for a caribou from the road system is the Haul Road and you have to walk off 5 miles in tundra to rifle hunt....archers can hunt in the 5 mile area.

The Steese Highway has been a madhouse for road hunters the past few years but that is about to change.

Perhaps others can post some ideas for you but I don't think it's going to be easy.
I’ve done a fair bit of archery hunting. I wouldn’t mind one bit bringing my bow. Are the tags for either weapon? Or are they designated to one?
I have always wanted a caribou so I figure this is a good opportunity with friends there. So tough hunting I can do…expensive is another story haha.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
The Harvest Tickets are for the animal, any legal method of take.

You will also need a locking tag as a non-resident (and of course hunting license).

Get the license and harvest tickets online and print on waterproof paper. Buy the locking tag locally once in AK.

There are several threads with good advice for the Haul Rd. Remember it is a highway, not a county road, even if it is dirt. Don't be one of the dumbasses that stops in the road.

No shooting from, on, or across the road surface in Alaska. Though if you step onto the shoulder you can shoot an animal with your bow.

The herd may, or may not be near the road.

I’ve done a fair bit of archery hunting. I wouldn’t mind one bit bringing my bow. Are the tags for either weapon? Or are they designated to one?
I have always wanted a caribou so I figure this is a good opportunity with friends there. So tough hunting I can do…expensive is another story haha.
Look into the regs with now hunting requirements. Then look at the nonresident requirements.

As an Alaskan, I’d want to steer you away from those caribou hunts. I feel that they are designed for the AK resident for subsistence but you’d be no different than all the military guys coming up to make it challenging. The bow hunting would offer you the best experience IMO. Just look at the time frames needed. I say that to say, take a chance and do it.

Good luck. I’ve refused to go after caribou off either of those opportunities due to the crowds and me being a fat ass and not a bow hunter.

CJ AK

FNG
Gather all the information you can here, it's a great start. It won't take long to get an understanding of how to prepare. Target a herd and figure out if you can get yourself to their location, Alaskas ADFG website will show you general herd locations. Most of the easily accessible herds have very limited hunt availability due to low headcounts. If your on a tight budget your probably be headed to the haul road. Not sure how far you have looked into it, non-res hunting license is a $160 and a non-res caribou tag is $650. Get as much information as you can and then the best way to figure it out is go and do it. Hope you score, Caribou is top shelf game meat

When I did the haul road, buddy and I spent a week up there, had usually a stalk a day with the bow, we went early August so less crowds and less caribou. Still probably the most action packed and fun hunt I’d done in years. If your buddy has a vehicle you can use, I’d do it. Car camping or bring a tent both work fine. Can be hard to glass from the road solo but there’s a few spots with pullouts you can get some elevation and glass. The drive itself takes a day from Fairbanks but you’ll see some beautiful country.