BC Dall Outfitter question

cocky84

WKR

...I know in Alaska to hunt dall sheep as a non resident you have to have a guide with you or a first blood relative. I know in BC you have to have an outfitter to hunt anything, right? My question is, can you hire an outfitter in BC but not have a guide with you? Just wondering if there is anyway to do a diy sheep hunt as a non resident. Just curious.

Last edited:

tuffcity

WKR
The short answer is no. Any big game hunting has to be done with a guide if you are a non-resident. The only way you could pull it off is to move up here for at least 6 months. :) But then, because BC has such a small Dall population, you'd have to put in for a draw.

RC

OP
cocky84

cocky84

WKR
Thanks, i figured so, otherwise everyone would be going there, but dont outfitters drop black bears hunters off on bait stands and leave? or do they have to stay there with them?

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
That's not entirely correct. BC has a 'permit to accompany' that a resident of BC can apply for, in order to host another hunter. Unfortunately for most people, the only people eligible to be 'accompanied' are either friends\relatives, if they are a resident Canadian citizen, or direct blood relatives if they are a non-resident alien. And even then, you cannot get a permit to accompany for any big game hunt that tags are awarded via limited entry, which is the draw system we have here. You can get a permit for any big game animal that has an open season. So Dall sheep and grizzlies are totally out of the question without a guide, although black bears, assuming you meet the permit to accompany rules, is game on.

tuffcity

WKR
True enough... I just went with the simple answer based on cocky84's location tag. :)

You can get a permit for any big game animal that has an open season.

... if you really want to get picky your chances of getting a PTA for an open bighorn area are slim to sweet FA unless some one messes up in the permitting office. Not all animals/areas are available for a permit to accompany even if they are open for a resident hunter. (I know... picking fly shit out of the pepper now :) )

RC