Yukon Dall Sheep /Late Season

Wanted to hear anyone's input on Dall sheep hunting late August into September in the Yukon. Is there an advantage? I know less bugs than early August. Are there better rams to be seen late season? Or do the better rams get shot prior to late season? I will be hunting this year 2024..super excited! Thank you for any input.

The primary advantage of early season tends to be the weather. I wouldn't worry about rams getting shot out prior to you getting there, most likely your outfitter doesn't scout and doesn't hunt the same general drainages twice in a single year. Later hunts can lead to more congregated sheep which can help but weather, and the potential of spotting a white animal in snow can be the downside

wyosteve

WKR
My Dall was the last week of Sept./ first week of Oct. I wanted to go late like that so it had a nice long haired cape. Had quite a bit of snow, but no bugs! Plus we got a spectacular northern light show.

cbeard64

WKR
I used to think the early hunts were the best opportunity for the biggest rams but have learned that’s not really the case.

If I were to go for a Dall again I would probably pick late August/early September too.

I grew up in the Yukon. It is all about weather. The later you go the more chance of cold/snow or miserable weather.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
I grew up in the Yukon. It is all about weather. The later you go the more chance of cold/snow or miserable weather.
for sure i will not go at the end of the season in the richardsons. but we had good luck on the closure day not far from whitehorse with a really thick and long fur sheep but i doubt any outfitter will take any non resident that late. we used crampons too ...