Big mule deer here I come :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAHNTR

WKR
Isn't that funny........ That's muzzle loading for ya. Much harder than a center fire, and more rewarding. Well done.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks IAHNTR!
It does feel good to have that part done and definitely feels rewarding.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
By the way,
wanted to give you all the gun/load, Standard Deviation (SD), and trajectory so you have the numbers

First the the gun I didn't go with for this hunt:

T/C 209x50 with Leupold 3x9 VXII
120 grains Triple 7, 2fg, behind Precision Rifles 450 gr QT Ultimate 1 Conical, and Variflame with 215 Match Grade Rifle Primer
2.8" with SD of 1.24" at 100 yds

Kahnke (pronouced Kong-kee) 50 cal with XS Ghost Ring Peep with .050 threaded Williams Peep insert
90 grains Triple 7, 2fg behind Precision Rifles 450 QT Ultimate 1 Conical and CCI Musket Cap
1.63" with SD of 0.36" at 100 yards

Trajectory (actually tested)
50 yards + 4"
100 yards +1.5"
150 yards -6"
200 yards -24"

If you're interested in learning about SD, check out:
http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...rifles-performance-through-standard-deviation

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'll be away from this thread for a bit while Cindy Wamsley and I do our best to find that Idaho buck. You can follow this hunt on the Live Hunt forum starting August 29th. Would love to have you over there, too,Thanks!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm back! For those of you that missed it, I was on the Live Hunt forum chasing big deer in Idaho with a bow. Had a great hunt. The Live Hunt is still going as we post up remaining video from our hunt AND some video of two really good bucks we were on. Cindy is also doing a gear review summary before it's over (the lightweight tent she has is going to be worth the whole review).

If you haven't already, check that hunt out at
http://www.rokslide.com/forums/showthread.php?3188-Game-on

So getting back to this project. Season opens Saturday, I'm in town for a few days for work, family, and getting ready.

Checking the weather forecast, looks like Colorado opening day is sunny and not too hot with some chance of rain into first part of next week.

My question for all of you is should I do this hunt on the Live thread? Only drawback may be ability to post as often as we did on Cindy's hunt- we had great cell coverage in the Idaho hunt- Colorado may or may not. Let me know.

I'll be on a solo hunt this time, so staying in touch with Rokslide members will be extra encouraging. You vote how you want it.

Last edited:

Hardstalk

WKR
I say live as well. Its always fun getting updates as you guys go thru the ups and downs of a hunt. At the same time i cant imagine how much pressure is added when you do a live hunt. I feel pressure when telling people im leaving for a hunt. I only imagine what its like having 60-70+ followers rooting for you.

IAHNTR

WKR
It would be awesome, but if it takes away from the hunt in anyway then skip it and put some meat on the ground.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like live, but do what provides you with the best possible chance of success. If the update hurts chances, no dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.