Sleeping Bag Research - Help Please!

DanB

FNG
I've been reading many posts here and researching sleeping bags to replace my Tenton 0 degree bag. Currently, my issue is I dont know what which is best and will actually be warm enough along with having the following features

As light as possible with the insulation being synthetic or a version of dry down
Stuffs down as small as possible
Will allow me to be warm in temps ranging from 5-40*F

The bag will be used with a homemade tarp with an undetermined sleeping pad. I typically get a little cooler than normal in a bag but that could be because my bag is a normal style sleeping bag (not a mummy style). Also, I have not used a quality sleeping pad and/or have normally slept on the cold ground. I also will not have the option to buy puffy pants/jacket to increase the warmth. For the trip coming up this fall/winter, I will be attempting to stuff 7 days worth of equipment and food with a few days worth of water in a 3500 cubic inch bag (that should be interesting lol)

Here are the bags and some specs I have been looking at:

This bag is very interesting in the design and features. One review I found says the bag keeps warm down to about 6*F.
Sierra Designs 3-season mobile mummy
http://www.sierradesigns.com/product/mobile-mummy-800-3-season
EN comfort rating - 27*F
EN limit rating - 16*F
Stuff sack size - 15x8
800 fill duck dridown
Weight - 2lbs 4 oz

This bag gets good reviews here and seems like it should be a good bag.
Mountain Hardware Ultralamina 15*F
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/ultralamina-15-regular-OU8490.html
Unsure is the temp rating is comfort or limit
Stuff sack size - 7x13
Thermal Q insulation
Weight - 2lbs 10oz

Have heard some good and some bad of this bag. A buddy of mine likes his.
Kifaru Slick Bag 0*F
http://store.kifaru.net/slick-bag-p73.aspx
Unsure if the temp rating is limit or comfort
Stuff sack size - unkown
ClimaShield insulation
Weight - 2lbs 12oz

This bag gets good reviews other than some people on here believe its too heavy.
Big Agnes McAlpin SL 5
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/mcalpinsl5
Unsure if the temp rating is limit or comfort
Stuff sack size - 9x9.5 (compressed)
700 DownTek insulation
Weight - 2lbs 15 oz

Have any of you had experience with any of these bags? I am really interested if anyone has had experience with the Big Agnes or Sierra Designs bags. I can find a lot of information on the mountain hardware and kifaru bags?

Or, if anyone knows a bag that I should check out, please let me know.

Thank you for your help!
Dan

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Dan not sure of your budget, but everything in your description of what you are asking for falls in line with Western Mountaineering Bag. if you have the extra cash to throw down on a Kifaru Slick then I highly recommend adding Western Mountaineering to your research. All the bags you have listed I cant speak for as Ive never used. But thought Id make the suggestion. Good luck on your research.

Shrek

WKR
+1 for Western Mountaineering. It's not dry down but it's where I put my money after being cold last year. You can get testimonial after testimonial for a WM bags here and elsewhere.
Nothing I have purchased from Kifaru has disappointed me yet and there is a new design this year that is supposed to sleep warmer .

Last edited:

worx53

WKR
wm here as well. i went from marmot lithium 0 degree to wm 20 ...just as warm and dropped close to one pound carry weight. very happy

with the one thats en rated, and from what ive heard of the slick bags, i dont think id want to go down to 5* in any of those.
i have a 10* western mountaineering that i slept down to 11* in last year and i would not want to go any further without layering up.

as far as the bags mentioned, no experience, just my .02 as a cold sleeper

I love my Wm Versalite, 2 lb bag, compresses to nothing and a solid rating of 10*. I think you should give them a hard look, any WM bag you purchase is sure to make you a happy man.

That said, I will be adding a 0* Slick to my aresenal for when a synthetic bag is required.

OP
D

DanB

FNG
I would rather not have a quilt because at times, I am sleeping on the ground without a pad. Also I have looked at WM but they are down and not a dry down. I would prefer a dry down or a synthetic so I dont have to worry about it getting wet.

Thanks for the help! I really wish I could find someone who has spent some times in the Sierra Designs bag, I like the design, just not the higher temp rating.

Outhunting

Lil-Rokslider
Dan, I was looking around too for the latest greatest and ended up just picking up one of these. Nemo Coda
Temperature Rating 0F / -18C
Fill Type 850 Fill Power Down
Fill Weight 24 oz / 680 g
Minimum Weight 3 lbs, 2 oz / 1.4 kg
Shape Mummy
Capacity 1P
Fits Up To 6'6" / 198 cm
Shoulder Girth 72 in / 183 cm
Hip Girth 60 in / 152 cm
Knee Girth 56 in / 142 cm
I have not put it up to its paces yet but it sure looks and feels like quality. The stretchable knee area is a great feature for me.

I would rather not have a quilt because at times, I am sleeping on the ground without a pad. Also I have looked at WM but they are down and not a dry down. I would prefer a dry down or a synthetic so I dont have to worry about it getting wet.

Thanks for the help! I really wish I could find someone who has spent some times in the Sierra Designs bag, I like the design, just not the higher temp rating.

forgive me if im off base, but my thought is one should always woory about getting their bag wet, synthetic or not...

OP
D

DanB

FNG
forgive me if im off base, but my thought is one should always woory about getting their bag wet, synthetic or not...

Your not off base. My concern is that I will be sleeping and some rain come in with the tarp faced the wrong direction and wake up with a wet bag and not be able to regain warmth. I am curious as to how others keep their bag dry when using a its wet out and without the protection of a tent.

Shrek

WKR

Thats how I feel too. A drysack to pack your bag in and pick a good camp and a wet bag shouldn't happen. Fillthefreezer lives where it rains A LOT ! and you don't hear him sweating the waterproofed down. DanB , are you hunting somewhere it is really wet for hunting season ?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
People worry about getting their bag wet to much:) Outside of getting in it wet I don't worry to much and it rains here a lot. If your bag is getting wet from the outside in then you really Effed up somewhere in your planning.

I would look at the WM or slik bags also.

People worry about getting their bag wet to much:) Outside of getting in it wet I don't worry to much and it rains here a lot. If your bag is getting wet from the outside in then you really Effed up somewhere in your planning.

pretty much sums it up.....

this is also what i mean. i take necessary precautions so my bag doesnt get wet. so not that im worried about it getting wet, just saying it shouldnt.

i use a tigoat bivy at 8oz, to keep my bag clean, off the ground, keep me on my pad(most imortant function for this rodeo sleeper) and keep incidental water off it.

by incidental water i mean rain spindrift and brushing up against tent walls, and coming inside with soaked rain gear, then sitting on my bag while i take my gaiters and boots off.

charvey9

WKR
There is some good info and comparrison on some other lightweight bags at outdoorgearlab.com

I ended up going with a Zpacks, and could not be happier with the warmth to weight ratio. I was moving out of a North Face 20 degree bag, that would get cold around 30 degrees. The Zpacks is half the weight, and I've slept in it now a few times down in the low 20's with comfort.

However, if I had to do it again I think I would get a lower rated bag and also go with the wider width. The increase in weight would be minimal, while making it a 4 season bag with a little more room.

charvey9

WKR

Damn. Sleeping without a pad is hardcore. I've forgot my pad before on accident, and regreted every minute.