Options for a packable non-mummy bag?

A good buddy of mine needs a new bag and he can’t stand mummy bags. Looking at a 15 degree bag (or around that rating) that is packable for spike camping but not a mummy. I usually buy down over synthetic but as long as it packs down relatively well I’m not super picky.

I was looking at the Big Agnes Lost Ranger 3n1, but I’m a little unsure if it’s not going to feel like a mummy bag if you’re in all the liners.

Any recommendations much appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
How about a quilt?

Not sure. Would it work like a sleeping bag?
He doesn’t hunt in frigid weather much, 90% of the time it will be September moose hunting in Alaska. Wet, damp, and usually around 30 at night.

chav0_12

FNG
Not sure. Would it work like a sleeping bag?
He doesn’t hunt in frigid weather much, 90% of the time it will be September moose hunting in Alaska. Wet, damp, and usually around 30 at night.

It should when paired with a good sleeping pad. I've honestly never used a quilt "full time". I do have a little, really light-weight, quilt from Sea To Summit that is awesome. I don't mind mummy bags so it's never been an issue for me. I would think something from Enlightened Equipment would be a great option. Most quilts are able to strap to the bottom of a pad, and they have as much loft/fill weight as most sleeping bags that are similarly rated, or at least what 2/3 of that sleeping bag would have since you're not wasting space/weight with the part of the sleeping bag that you're going to be sleeping on and compressing all of the down rendering it non-functional anyway. I've been considering getting a quilt for "full-time" time use but haven't bitten the bullet considering I already have a really nice and lightweight sleeping bag.

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
The Kifaru Slick Bag meets that bill nicely for synthetic. Nemo makes a certain cut to their bags that makes it more roomy through the hips and shoulders. I have a Nemo Sonic 0 that I can side sleep with quite comfortably but my Marmot Lamina is constricting and a true mummy (both are down bags). If you’re planning on doing spike camps I’d say a synthetic bag, you don’t have to be as careful with the wet like you do with a down bag. I used my slick bag with a Neoair Xtherm this year and it was great for moose camp.

sr80

WKR
I was searching for non mummy bags and i live in BC. Im not sure if you've heard of taiga works out of Vancouver, but they're stuff is top notch and made in canada. But they offer a non mummy down bag i have my eye on. These are Canadian prices so a real good deal for you.

OP
F
Well, after some research and ordering a couple to try, I think it’s going to be the Big Agnes Anvil Horn 0 degree. It’s wider and roomier than many options mentioned, and I didn’t like the quilt options I tried. I think the Anvil Horn is a really nice bag, and I was able to use a discount making it pretty affordable. The integrated sleeping pad sleeve is a nice bonus.

The only thing that I debated was synthetic vs down in a wet environment like AK, but I’ve run a 0 degree mummy in AK for years and it’s always been great.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I love my western mountaineering badger, I can roll around in it vs. it rolling around with me if that makes sense.

I can skew on my side and just roll over to my other side inside the bag. My other bag gets all twisted around and stuff.

I was searching for non mummy bags and i live in BC. Im not sure if you've heard of taiga works out of Vancouver, but they're stuff is top notch and made in canada. But they offer a non mummy down bag i have my eye on. These are Canadian prices so a real good deal for you.

Did you end up getting this bag? I spend a lot of time in Alberta for work and have always found Canadian manufacturing and engineering to be top notch.

I've been looking at SG, Kifaru and WM options for my upcoming Alaska sheep hunt but this company is now on my radar. Also still debating down vs synthetic for the potentially wet conditions but lots on that subject covered in other threads...