My freshly rebarreled 7mm wsm is on its way ! :D

Shrek

WKR
I sent my M70 wsm off to be rebarreled at the end of January with an estimate of two to three weeks. Well , three months and a day after they received my rifle and new barrel they have it ready . I also ordered some new brass back then....it's not coming :( . So , does anyone know of some 7mm wsm brass in stock ? I have 47 pieces of 4 times fired brass but I have wrecked all the brass I've tried to anneal so I'm leary of cooking the only 7mm wsm brass I have.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I actually keep my extra 7WSM brass in the safe!!!

I completely understand ! Lapua really needs to make some 7mm wsm brass. Soon I'll be forced to neck down and blow out some 300 wsm brass. I am also going to have to either make or buy an annealing machine. Maybe chuck the brass into a Lee trimmer case holder and put it into a drill to anneal. Spin it so I don't burn one side up. Overheating one side is how I ruined the last cases I tried to anneal.
At least I should have my rifle back by the end of the week or Monday. The guy was recommended by Lilja barrels so I would think he knows what he's doing.

Cascade_Sherpa

Lil-Rokslider
Making 7wsm brass from .300wsm brass seems to be the only short term solution right now.....I've seen a ton of brass start to come back in stock locally, and plenty of winchester .300wsm......I think Sam is right about unicorns hiding it all with their fairy dust.....

ssliger

WKR
I recently bought some factory ammo with 140 grain accubonds cause it's all I could find. I usually shoot 160 grain. My plan is to take them for my caribou hunt and target plinking. Then reload them for elk. I had f boxes of shells stolen from my truck 2 years ago. It sucks

AZ Vince

WKR
Check with Midway and put it on backorder if you can.
I did that with .338 Win Mag, and 6.5 x 284 brass. I eventually got my brass.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'll fire form from 300 wsm before I pull down loaded ammo. I'm pretty sure that's what it's going to come to but there is no 7mm wsm anywhere so I'm hoping that someone makes a batch. I keep hoping Lapua decides to start but that's mostly just a personal fantasy. I gave away 100 pieces of once fired nickel plate winchester brass I had right before the shortages started. They were all segregated into the box they had come out of too. Hindsight is 20/20.

AZ Vince

WKR
Fire forming may be your only option at this time.
I just checked Midway and they only carry Winchester in that caliber and aren't taking back orders. :(

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm on a couple of notify list's if Winchester ever makes more. I had originally talked myself into rebarreling to 7mm-300 wsm but the smith didn't have the reamer and I already have 7mm wsm dies and a few cases. If there is still no brass after hunting season I may have this barrel set back a little and rechambered to 7mm-300 wsm.

KMD

Banned
I'm another moron with a 7WSM. Honestly thinking about the Blue Box Federal factory loaded ammo and pull bullets.

That's what I'd do, if I hadn't squirreled away a bunch.
Federal 7WSM brass actually isn't bad at all. Two or three boxes of factory donor ammo should keep a hunting rifle happy for a few hundred rounds...

Kotaman

WKR
When I had my Boswell .300 WSM built a couple of years ago, I wanted a 7mm WSM in the WORST WAY. (still do) However, the brass availability situation bothered me. Though I still wish I had a 7mm wsm, I'm not currently looking for one...:cool:

Good luck Shrek...

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Dang the new chamber is tight ! I got the full length sizer out and took the decapper out and sized some I pulled down. Even after I squeezed the chit out of them it still takes a good bit of force to close the bolt. I have 48 good pieces 4x fired to work with.

KMD

Banned
How are you measuring shoulder bump when FL sizing?
Did you send a 'dummy case' to your 'smith to chamber/throat it to a specific bullet/load?
Are you sure this new chamber is a "no turn" neck? What is your loaded rd. nk. dia.?

Just sayin', I'd be very careful working up a load in that new, tight chamber! You might have someting sketchy going on that could create a dangerous condition!

'Crush fitting' brass is for fireforming them to 'improved', or blown out, dimensions. In that instance, there is room for the brass to expand. IN your rifle, if your brass is 'crush fitting' already, I'd be very, very, very careful about making absolutely 100%sure that your reloads have got enough clearance in the neck & shoulder for proper bullet release and springback...

CAREFUL CAREFUL!!!

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
A friend came over and I got sidetracked but I'm going to get serious with measuring sometime Saturday. I wasn't expecting it to be so tight so I just full length sized a couple of cases. Going to call the smith and see if the reamer was a tight neck competition and if so what the necck is. I'll measure too .

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I talked to my smith and it's not a tight neck but he does cut all of his chambers to minimum spec. There is a little more I can adjust down on the full length sizer. I usually just touch the die but I'll screw it a little tight and put the crush on it.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
So I got to work with the rifle and I about blew a gasket ! I'm still going to pop the relief valve in the morning. So I went to mount the scope and decided that the Talley Lightweight mediums were too high and I think the lows will work so I ordered some from Mid-way over priced-USA and they will be here soon. Next up was to load a few of the pull down cases and find the lands. I had sent a dummy round for him to go off but apparently he didn't use it. :( . The dummy was 3.035 col and I wanted the ogive hard into the lands. What I got is 2.8 col hard into the lands ! Just a little f'n short ! Going to call him in the morning and try to be civil. I was quoted two to three weeks to do this job but he took three months and now it's not right. Depending on what he says in the morning I will either be trashing his name on every forum I'm on and ordering a throat reamer and T handle or shipping it back. Either way I'm far from happy.

Last edited:
Ahh, sorry that sucks. Hope that he can make it right and get it done for you with some quickness. Good luck, not fun.