My freshly rebarreled 7mm wsm is on its way ! :D

gelton

WKR
So I got to work with the rifle and I about blew a gasket ! I'm still going to pop the relief valve in the morning. So I went to mount the scope and decided that the Talley Lightweight mediums were too high and I think the lows will work so I ordered some from Mid-way over priced-USA and they will be here soon. Next up was to load a few of the pull down cases and find the lands. I had sent a dummy round for him to go off but apparently he didn't use it. :( . The dummy was 3.035 col and I wanted the ogive hard into the lands. What I got is 2.8 col hard into the lands ! Just a little f'n short ! Going to call him in the morning and try to be civil. I was quoted two to three weeks to do this job but he took three months and now it's not right. Depending on what he says in the morning I will either be trashing his name on every forum I'm on and ordering a throat reamer and T handle or shipping it back. Either way I'm far from happy.

Well?

KMD

Banned
Sorry for your bad experience. Take a deep breath and get it done right. If your 'smith won't accomodate you expeditiously, cut your losses and find a 'smith who will. Life's too short to deal with a non-attentive 'smith, and there are plenty of competent ones out there...
Good luck! I've been down the same road, just takes a bit of patience to get through!

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Smith said send it back and he would take care of it. That will only cost me about $42 shipping...The excuse was a total lie but I decided not to call him on it. Said he never received the dummy round but I know he did because when I called to confirm that he had received the rifle in good condition he asked about the length of the round and I confirmed it was 3.04" col. Over three months and plenty of conversations in between he had forgotten about our conversation. So close to being right yet so far away.

He should be able to throat it very easily. I'd send him another dummy round. Simple fix.

I am sorry Shrek. Your experience mirrors most of my experiences. A real Turn Off. Simple, Simple stuff. I've had a 3000 Ultra barreled and it went to several Smiths. Couldn't even get a round down into the magazine (original 7mm Mag Rem 700 action). Wouldn't take it back, as he was "too old and my eyes don't work so well anymore".....yet you see him posting other rifles over the next few years he'd turned out for people.

I've had real high name smiths charge $82 to return a barreled action in cardboard boxes, etc.

Just sorry. Hope you get it righted. You have reason to be pist.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I got it back this evening. Throat is right and I'll rebed the action this week. After I pop it out I'll be Duracoating the stock German Olive Gray. Now , if Winchester would run some 7mm wsm brass I'd be set.

ssliger

WKR
I got it back this evening. Throat is right and I'll rebed the action this week. After I pop it out I'll be Duracoating the stock German Olive Gray. Now , if Winchester would run some 7mm wsm brass I'd be set.

If you find any brass, buy some then let the rest of us know. Last I heard was October

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
If you find any brass, buy some then let the rest of us know. Last I heard was October
Thats what I heard also. I've got 47 pieces I'm going to try and anneal. If I can manage not to cook my brass I should be good for a couple more loadings so I can find a load. Then , if I'm desperate I'll fireform some out of 300 wsm. This prolonged shortage plain sucks.

tstowater

WKR
Classified Approved
Dumb question: Can you use 270WSM brass and resize to 7mm? It would appear that the 7MM might be just a tad longer than the 270. I faintly recall seeing some 270WSM brass in a couple stores that I have been in recently.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
You can use both 300 wsm and 270 wsm but they both have to be fire formed to blow the shoulder out. Body length is longer and the shoulder steeper on the 7mm wsm.

KMD

Banned
Those bench annealing machines are cool as chit!

Found to get by pretty well with a single torch, a dark room, and a cordless screwdriver with appropriate socket to hold a case.
Spin case @ neck/shoulder junction in flame til dull glow begins, then drop in pan of water to keep the heat from conducting too far down the case body.
Grab the next case, drop in the socket, and spin away in the flame again!
Once you've done about 10 cases, you'll have a good average of how long each case takes to glow dull orange. Then, if ya want, you can turn the lights back on and use the counting method, instead of working in the dark for a while. "7 Mississippi" in the flame is about right for WSM cases, if I remember right...

Yep the torch and socket with a cordless drill works pretty good. I was really good last year and Santa grabbed me that on a group buy for a discount off a forum. It really is pretty awesome and makes quick work out of a pile of brass.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
KMD , I'll probably try the socket method. I'm going to the gun show in the morning looking for Retumbo , brass , and what have you. After that I'm hitting the craft store for some clay then working on the bedding. Hope to have it bedded and painted by Sunday night.

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
I'm at the show and there is a lot more stuff than there has been in a while. No Retumbo or N570 but a little H1000 and H4350. Lots of primers. A bag of 8mm rem mag brass was about the only interesting brass I saw. No wsm , rum , saum brass . There was a ss model 70 New Haven in 338 win mag with a boss that caught my eye . A beater that I would love to have but I'm suffering a severe case of lack-o-jack at the moment :(

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Bedded the rifle twice now. Did it last night and it had gaps along the sides. Winchester's flat sides drag the bedding and makes big bubbles along the sides. Did it again this afternoon to fill those gaps in. If you have a model 70 you need to add a little more bedding than you think along the sides and I put some bedding on the action its self to hopefully keep it filled. Not going to be able to duracoat the stock this weekend.