Public Land Elk Hunting - Book

DirtyD

FNG
Before I even start, a heads up that I got pre-approval from Mr. Synder prior to posting so please don't kill my post.

Many of you may have seen this last year, however, my timing was horrible and the book hit the press just as most folks were heading to the field.

If you haven't seen it yet, it's geared towards the new hunter which is why I hadn't pimped it here yet. Most here seem well past the beginner stage, but the more I thought about it I realized you're also the perfect audience. As you go from beginner, to intermediate, to advanced (if there really is such a thing) there's a natural progression to help out the new hunters as they automatically drift toward those with experience looking for help. And instead of sitting down with someone for 5 hours reviewing the basics, or telling them to use the search function on Rokslide, it may make more sense to tell them to pick up a copy (or e-book), then come back and ask some real questions.

The book was written for the first timer, so some parts are extremely fundamental but I wanted to make sure those new to hunting were not missing out on the basics. I have been receiving some great feedback so it’s been very encouraging.

My favorite response to date was from one of the ladies in our archery club. She hunts with her husband who is her hunting mentor, he’s is also an extremely successful and accomplished archer. But she confessed to me that more often than not she’s along for the ride as he tells her what to do while they’re hunting. After reading the book she felt like she had received more instruction than she ever got from her husband. She also attributed filling her tag this year to a tip she read in the book; always having an arrow knocked while sitting, a VERY basic tip. But if you think about it a successful trip is really nothing more than doing a lot of little things right.

I wanted to give it one more marketing plug while it’s still fresh. It’s available through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B00ES47XVI) and has received quite a few reviews (mostly positive :)).

Thanks all,

Matt Dworak

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
You think your safe because Aron said so? I ordered the book. If it's good your post can stay, if it sucks I'm going to have to pull it:)

OP
D

DirtyD

FNG
Damn, I'm in trouble now! And for the record Aron hasn't read my book (to my knowledge) I think he just got sick of me bugging him about it.

Fingers crossed the thread doesn't get pulled! :)

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
Read your book. Thought it had some great tips and I will be encouraging some of my friends who are new to elk to grab a copy.

dsclowers

Lil-Rokslider
I actually have this book. I moved to Western CO last spring and was reading everything I could get my hands on for my first elk hunt last Oct. I was pretty much clueless and picked up a lot of tips from your book. I have a ton of highlights and stickys marking pages to review as I get ready for this season.

Good book, I would recommend it to other newbies.

Doug

I read it. A good read for sure. Good common sense stuff. I am a relative novice, and picked up a few tips for sure

i got your book on my kindle Matt and actualy read most of it in my tent during last elk seasons epic storms. I realy enjoyed it and have plugged it here on Rokslide a couple times since. best of luck to your book, and to you and the goat ninja this fall.

I also have the kindle copy, wish I had read it before my first elk hunt. Very informative and broken very well. I plan in rereading soon. I found Rokslide through the book ...actually it was one of the forums he recommended!

ElkNut1

WKR
I read most of the book as well compliments of Matt, it's as he mentions directed for the newer hunter with lots of very useful info! Good read!

ElkNut1

cnelk

WKR
You dont have to be newer elk hunter to enjoy and pick up some tips from Matt's book
Hey Matt - let's get some beverages again soon. Got some stuff to discuss!

OP
D

DirtyD

FNG
Pretty encouraging seeing so many positive comments, thanks guys!
And I’m actually very surprised to see so many have actually read it. I figured this thread would just slide down the list and disappear into the cyberspace crap hole…
Brad, always up for beverages! Give me a shout and we’ll figure out a time.

I just looked up your book. I'm going to purchase it. I'm a newbie so I can use every bit of info I can get. Good luck with your book sales. Matt

tlowell02

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat as Dancermatt. Been wanting to do this for a while and have decided I need to learn all I can before jumping in. Thanks for putting the book together.

swmoelk

FNG
Your book was the first exposure I had to putting together a plan of attack. Thanks for putting it together I have the kindle version and the wife bought me the print version for Father's Day just because she found it on Amazon and thought it would be helpful. Thanks for putting it together for us noobs.

Mikeha33

Lil-Rokslider
Matt, I recieved your book on Friday, and although I'm only about 40 pages in, its a great read so far!! I'll definitely be sharing it with every elk hunter I know!! It's very helpful to guys like me that aren't familiar with elk hunting. I wish I'd of had this last year before my 1st elk hunt. It will be a great resource for many years to come. Two thumbs up!!!

mAv

Lil-Rokslider
Admittedly haven't finished it yet, but I ordered this a while back and I'd say it's well worth the read for most folks. Nice work, Matt.