SUGGESTIONS for Carry piece for Wife w/ "Pre-arthritic" hands.

TheGDog

WKR
I've been trying to encourage Mama to carry a pistol as well (she carries BearSpray ATM) when she participates in these Group Hikes with this particular FB group.. whenever the hikes are taking place in NF lands or other places where legal to carry. Especially since some of them can be far from home.

To that end... took her to the range y'day and was going to have her put a bunch of .38spl rounds thru the lightweight LCRx .357 snubby we recently got for my son to carry in the woods. The problem with that... for her... is that she struggles with pushing-in the Ruger-style cylinder release. (It's definitely a nogo for her)

I know.. it sounds weird, but she's extremely "double-jointed" in her hands, and especially her last thumb digit. So the more she tries to push-in upon that LCRx/Ruger style cylinder release... that "double-jointed" last thumb digit just folds over more, rather than imparting a downward force upon the release button.

NOTE: On the S&W Mod 60 3" .38spl +P I've got... she DOES seem to be able to work the S&W style of cylinder release. But to my way of thinking, I'd feel better if she was using a cartridge with a little more oomph to it than a .38spl +P. And also that revolver is around 23oz and I'd _like_ to find something lighter to carry for her.

This same day, I took her over to a LGS and we checked out some other options.

Sig 365,
Ruger Max-9,
Springfield Hellcat Micro,
Shield Plus.

The problem she had with those was getting the slide-release to let go. The associate even showed her how to grasp the slide with your one hand... whilst simultaneously pushing in opposing direction with the hand that grasps the pistol grip and actuates the slide-release... and SHE STILL couldn't get that slide release to pull down on them. (Go figure)

I'm trying to find a pistol that's LIGHT in weight, so she won't complain and poo-poo about carrying it on the hikes.
And I'd like to have a minimum of 9mm (preferably +P) energy levels.

She seems to do fine with my Sig P238 .380acp I've got, which is a lil mini 1911 platform.
And she, like me, likes the nice chunky 3-Dot combat night-sights that come stock on the P238.

And (ugh) it has to be CA complaint.

As far as the critters here in SoCal that'd give me concern for her to carry... besides other humans... the most robust of them would be black bear and mtnlion. I know mtnlion isn't that though, but for bear... I dunno... I just don't like the thought of trying to take one on with a .38spl.

So, another logical question I have his... would .38spl +P loads with LeHigh Xtreme Defenders or Penetrators be a decent enough protection against a 200+ lbs black bear? (There are some bigger than that out here, obviously, but this is a common size to encounter)

Was hoping the LCRx would be no problem, then I'd tell her to load it with .357 Mag LeHigh's when out in the woods. And we'd do some brief practice sessions to verify she can at least squeeze off a cylinder full of them competently enough. But she can't push-down the dang cylinder release!!

The 3" Model 60 I have is NOT .357 mag, rated. Hence the reason I'm asking if the savvy dudes amongst RokSlide if they feel a .38spl +P LeHigh would be sufficient for that task of defending yourself against a black bear of a modest size?

Asking this question about .38spl +P LeHigh's to determine if perhaps a S&W Airweight type of revolver might be the way to go for her for this application? I know it's HIGHLY unlikely she'd ever encounter a critter, especially since she goes with that group, but some of their hikes they do start-off in the black of morning, and sometimes there's occasions where they'll run into weirdo rando's out on the trails. (Like this one dude who was stripped down to his underwear and jerking-it in the middle of the forest!)

And/or do you know of a 1911-style 9mm micro that is CA legal for sale that should be fine for her to operate with little trouble?

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Slide stop...

@NSI has a great suggestion in the Shield EZ, otherwise I cannot think of a reason why if YOU like the LCRx and she shoots it well, not to roll with that thing. Worrying about reloading a revolver in a high-stress situation is genuinely hundreds of hours of high-stress training and it doesn't sound like she fits into the type of person who trains daily. (coming from someone who carried a .357 LCR on duty in an ankle holster when LE). To that note, lightweight small pistols for this purpose might need some objective thought as well.

bnsafe

WKR
we looked at a shield ez 30 super carry for my mom, 76, a few months ago. She still couldnt rack it. However, we found her a sig 380 that she racks just fine and runs like a top. yea, I know, 380, but it sure beats nothing.
With that said, if she could have ran the ez 30 super carry I think that is the round, close to 9mm performance, better capacity, slightly less recoil.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I've been trying to encourage Mama to carry a pistol as well (she carries BearSpray ATM) when she participates in these Group Hikes with this particular FB group.. whenever the hikes are taking place in NF lands or other places where legal to carry. Especially since some of them can be far from home.

To that end... took her to the range y'day and was going to have her put a bunch of .38spl rounds thru the lightweight LCRx .357 snubby we recently got for my son to carry in the woods. The problem with that... for her... is that she struggles with pushing-in the Ruger-style cylinder release. (It's definitely a nogo for her)

I know.. it sounds weird, but she's extremely "double-jointed" in her hands, and especially her last thumb digit. So the more she tries to push-in upon that LCRx/Ruger style cylinder release... that "double-jointed" last thumb digit just folds over more, rather than imparting a downward force upon the release button.

NOTE: On the S&W Mod 60 3" .38spl +P I've got... she DOES seem to be able to work the S&W style of cylinder release. But to my way of thinking, I'd feel better if she was using a cartridge with a little more oomph to it than a .38spl +P. And also that revolver is around 23oz and I'd _like_ to find something lighter to carry for her.

This same day, I took her over to a LGS and we checked out some other options.

Sig 365,
Ruger Max-9,
Springfield Hellcat Micro,
Shield Plus.

The problem she had with those was getting the slide-release to let go. The associate even showed her how to grasp the slide with your one hand... whilst simultaneously pushing in opposing direction with the hand that grasps the pistol grip and actuates the slide-release... and SHE STILL couldn't get that slide release to pull down on them. (Go figure)

I'm trying to find a pistol that's LIGHT in weight, so she won't complain and poo-poo about carrying it on the hikes.
And I'd like to have a minimum of 9mm (preferably +P) energy levels.

She seems to do fine with my Sig P238 .380acp I've got, which is a lil mini 1911 platform.
And she, like me, likes the nice chunky 3-Dot combat night-sights that come stock on the P238.

And (ugh) it has to be CA complaint.

As far as the critters here in SoCal that'd give me concern for her to carry... besides other humans... the most robust of them would be black bear and mtnlion. I know mtnlion isn't that though, but for bear... I dunno... I just don't like the thought of trying to take one on with a .38spl.

So, another logical question I have his... would .38spl +P loads with LeHigh Xtreme Defenders or Penetrators be a decent enough protection against a 200+ lbs black bear? (There are some bigger than that out here, obviously, but this is a common size to encounter)

Was hoping the LCRx would be no problem, then I'd tell her to load it with .357 Mag LeHigh's when out in the woods. And we'd do some brief practice sessions to verify she can at least squeeze off a cylinder full of them competently enough. But she can't push-down the dang cylinder release!!

The 3" Model 60 I have is NOT .357 mag, rated. Hence the reason I'm asking if the savvy dudes amongst RokSlide if they feel a .38spl +P LeHigh would be sufficient for that task of defending yourself against a black bear of a modest size?

Asking this question about .38spl +P LeHigh's to determine if perhaps a S&W Airweight type of revolver might be the way to go for her for this application? I know it's HIGHLY unlikely she'd ever encounter a critter, especially since she goes with that group, but some of their hikes they do start-off in the black of morning, and sometimes there's occasions where they'll run into weirdo rando's out on the trails. (Like this one dude who was stripped down to his underwear and jerking-it in the middle of the forest!)

And/or do you know of a 1911-style 9mm micro that is CA legal for sale that should be fine for her to operate with little trouble?

Everything you are talking about with caliber, energy, power, whatever is fudd lore nonsense of the highest order. Pistols bullets poke holes and that’s it. You there is zero difference in tissue damage between the same bullet type From a .38spc, 9mm, 357- they just poke holes. Find a 9mm with good barrier blind bullets or even a 380 with FMJ’s or Federal Hyrda shock deep’s and don’t worry about “power”. Stopping a bear, loin, or any other thing attaching you is all the same- shoot them in the head.

As for pistol type, revolvers are about the worst thing for hitting, especially for someone that is “pre arthritic”. Shield EZ, Glock 42, Sig P365, etc. with new sights are much better pistols to actually hit things with.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
As much as I like my P365, it can be difficult to load those magazines even without achy joints.

Revolvers by design have more recoil than anything with a recoil spring so I would rule them out. Look for something in a convenient size she will carry, with low recoil, easy to load mags, and easy to rack slide. Assuming such a thing exists.

Maybe check out an H&K VP9SK? They have a Euro style mag release at the base of the trigger guard, instead of a push-button style, as well as various grip inserts to adjust length of pull and palm swell. Ergonomics are great and it handles recoil quite well.

Last edited:

Ehunter56

FNG
Possibly look at a Glock 43 (9 mm) or 42 (380). Both reliable, easy to shoot and handle. Girlfriend shoots a 42, but can easily handle the 43 as well. Decent, but not great slide release.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Keltec p17. light enough to carry, racks easy, good ammo makes it usable for defense. Stop trying to make her John Wick. The fact she is carrying is enough to deter 99% of the 2 legged threats. The noise alone will scare off most 4 legged and she has enough chances with 10 to actually make a hit. They are amazingly reliable for being so inexpensive. i have my wife carry it with rat shot as the first shell. All she needs to do is put some DNA in the area. I’ll finish the rest. Facts are no one rises to the occasion. You fall back to your highest level of training. Look at your rifle training. You don’t just walk out and hit a 300rd 10” plate offhand on the first attempt.

I practice a drill every 3 months on dueling Trees and paper plates. I am moving between 15 -50 yards and use barrels and trees as cover. I do this with a G44 and a G19, same sight picture on both. I have much faster times with greater # of hits with the G44. She is more likely to practice with a 22lr and she will gain confidence. Those two items alone will outperform a larger caliber.

slvrslngr

WKR
Does she want to carry a pistol? If so, is she willing to put in the work to learn how to use it under stress?

A couple points from my perspective. If she doesn’t have good hand strength, getting some help from a PT is probably step one. Second, get a 22 pistol she can handle and have her put a crap load of ammo through it.

Honestly, she’s probably better off just sticking with the bear spray. Just my opinion.

Reactions: NSI
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Slide stop...

@NSI has a great suggestion in the Shield EZ, otherwise I cannot think of a reason why if YOU like the LCRx and she shoots it well, not to roll with that thing. Worrying about reloading a revolver in a high-stress situation is genuinely hundreds of hours of high-stress training and it doesn't sound like she fits into the type of person who trains daily. (coming from someone who carried a .357 LCR on duty in an ankle holster when LE). To that note, lightweight small pistols for this purpose might need some objective thought as well.
Negative... she has difficulties actuating the LCRx's cylinder release. The S&W she seems to be able to actuate though.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Possibly look at a Glock 43 (9 mm) or 42 (380). Both reliable, easy to shoot and handle. Girlfriend shoots a 42, but can easily handle the 43 as well. Decent, but not great slide release.
Would be great... if KommieFornia allowed sale of 43 :(

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Does she want to carry a pistol? If so, is she willing to put in the work to learn how to use it under stress?

A couple points from my perspective. If she doesn’t have good hand strength, getting some help from a PT is probably step one. Second, get a 22 pistol she can handle and have her put a crap load of ammo through it.

Honestly, she’s probably better off just sticking with the bear spray. Just my opinion.
The secondary goal here... is to eventually convince her to CCW. So that's why I'd like to find a nice slim lightweight solution that's "decent enough" should a critter present a problem one day.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
"Negative" what?
You stated "she likes the LCRx and shoots it well" So to that I replied "Negative" meaning NO she had not yet ever fired the LCRx and in observing her, she cannot manipulate the cylinder release effectively on the LCRx.

On the S&W Mod 60 revolver, the 3", she does seem to be able to push that cylinder release fwd consistently.

She just, for whatever reason of her double-jointed-ness can't manage to depress downward onto the LCRx's button-style release and consistently open the cylinder.

EDIT: It was really sad too watching her try. But it's all related to how her thumb joint bends over exceedingly backward. All her other fingers can do the same thing too, actually. It's a trip to see.

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
As much as I like my P365, it can be difficult to load those magazines even without achy joints.

Revolvers by design have more recoil than anything with a recoil spring so I would rule them out. Look for something in a convenient size she will carry, with low recoil, easy to load mags, and easy to rack slide. Assuming such a thing exists.

Maybe check out an H&K VP9SK? They have a Euro style mag release at the base of the trigger guard, instead of a push-button style, as well as various grip inserts to adjust length of pull and palm swell. Ergonomics are great and it handles recoil quite well.
Thank you, I'll try to check one out on my next visit(s) to LGS.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
As for pistol type, revolvers are about the worst thing for hitting, especially for someone that is “pre arthritic”. Shield EZ, Glock 42, Sig P365, etc. with new sights are much better pistols to actually hit things with.
For now.. I'm figuring try to get her to carry the Sig P238, loaded with LeHigh Xtreme Penetrators 90gr. It's something like 17oz.

And then take my time to slowly search and find a better solution with a little more energy to spare. She definitely likes the nice chunky 3-Dot Combat sights, just like I do. The good thing about them is even w/o glasses I can still aim it decently.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
we looked at a shield ez 30 super carry for my mom, 76, a few months ago. She still couldnt rack it. However, we found her a sig 380 that she racks just fine and runs like a top. yea, I know, 380, but it sure beats nothing.
With that said, if she could have ran the ez 30 super carry I think that is the round, close to 9mm performance, better capacity, slightly less recoil.
Was the 380 you're mentioning here the same as mine? The P238? I'm betting it is.

RE: 30 super carry. Hrmm... we'll see on that one, I'd imagine finding ammo out here would be problematic at best, since it's not as popular. Not a headache I'm willfully wanting to place on myself.

Last edited: