Hilleberg - Anjan 3 GT or Nallo 3 GT?

Tiger Rag

WKR
Have been pouring over the various models of Hilleberg tents for a bombproof shelter. I think I've got them narrowed to 2. I know the Anjan is lighter however it looks like it has less venting options and less 4 season capability with the outer tent that doesn't pitch directly against the ground. I like the way the Nallo outer tent can be pitched to the ground or those sections roll up to better vent. I also like the slightly heavier fabric. I guess the Anjan wouldn't need the peak vents that the Nallo has since the outer tent doesn't pitch to the ground and would allow more air flow. Doesn't that sound about right for the differences? BTW, 1lb 8oz is the difference between the Anjan 3 GT and the Nallo 3 GT with the Nallo being the more obese.

I've got a lighter tent when needed but don't have a 3+ or 4 season ground dwelling shelter. Might not need those capabilities but like not having to worry about it.

The Rogen was interesting as well, however only offered in a 2 man option. I feel a 3 man would give a more comfortable 2 hunter scenario.

Any thoughts, experienced comparisons are greatly appreciated.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Anjan 2 and eneded up returning it for the Nallo 2. For the extra ~1.5 lbs the Nallo has a better door/vestible/door cover, more venting options, outer tent goes all the way to ground, more stakes, & stronger stake loops. Use it as a late season/bad weather tent or if I'm hunting with someone. I use a tarptent notch for early season which weighs less than 30 oz.

OP
Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag

WKR
I bought the Anjan 2 and eneded up returning it for the Nallo 2. For the extra ~1.5 lbs the Nallo has a better door/vestible/door cover, more venting options, outer tent goes all the way to ground, more stakes, & stronger stake loops. Use it as a late season/bad weather tent or if I'm hunting with someone. I use a tarptent notch for early season which weighs less than 30 oz.

Thanks for the reply. I think that goes with my findings yesterday. Local dealer does not stock them because of the expense of the product but he did get an Anjan 3 GT in yesterday for delivery to another customer. I was able to ride his coat tails and inspect it. Very cool tent in my estimation. I do love the GT vestibule - it's huge, however it brings the question - is it overkill? Is your Nallo with the standard vestibule? If so, do you feel it is sufficient?

My thoughts are that with the Nallo I'd have a lot more protection pitching it with just the outer tent for a floorless option, and I'd still have a bombproof shelter and save some weight. I like how the Nallo pitches all the way to the ground, however you can roll up the lower portions for better venting.

Last edited:
I have all but purchased the Nallo 3GT for a Kodiak hunt this October. I think it will be perfect for 2 guys hiking up from the salt and possibly moving camp a few times during our 12 day stay. It also seems to be decent enough size to make it somewhat bearable should we end up in for a few days of bad weather.

My friend has the Anjan, there's no way two guys and gear could enjoy sleeping or staying in there for any amount of time so I ruled that one out.

Linton Outdoors has a pretty good tutorial video on YouTube for the Nallo 3GT, you might check that out.

OP
Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag

WKR
I have all but purchased the Nallo 3GT for a Kodiak hunt this October. I think it will be perfect for 2 guys hiking up from the salt and possibly moving camp a few times during our 12 day stay. It also seems to be decent enough size to make it somewhat bearable should we end up in for a few days of bad weather.

My friend has the Anjan, there's no way two guys and gear could enjoy sleeping or staying in there for any amount of time so I ruled that one out.

Linton Outdoors has a pretty good tutorial video on YouTube for the Nallo 3GT, you might check that out.

Which Anjan does he have? I saw an Anjan 3 GT yesterday and I think they are basically the same size - spec sheet says an inch here or there. Seems like to me the 3 would make it livable in either tent. I thought the Anjan 3 GT I saw yesterday was pretty doggone big with that vestibule! The GT is certainly a luxury, but trapped by weather would make it much more livable unless you bring a separate tarp for a cooking/hanging out area.

Oh and yes, I've seen the Linton Outdoors video. They did a nice job on it. Probably the most comprehensive video as far as being informational but also not long winded.

Last edited:

stephen b

WKR
I swapped out the Anjan 3 and went with the Nallo 3 for many of the same reasons you are contemplating. The Nallo just seemed like it was a more versatile shelter for more conditions. I did not get the GT version, as I felt it was more than I wanted with both weight and overall length.

The Nallo 3 is enough for 2 guys, and vestibule is not super small. Instead of the GT, I would rather carry another separate tarp if need be that we could cook and hang out in, or could even use as an extended vestibule. Also a separate tarp could be used to spike out in.

The Nallo 3 is not bad at all weight wise for the space ratio- especially for 2 to split up. Heck it only weighs less than a 1/2 LB more than a 1 p Soulo.

Good luck with your choice- both are great shelters with different pluses and minuses.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Vestibule size on the Nallo 2 is fairly large (enough room for 2 packs, boots, and still room to enter/exit the tent). Probably not big enough to actually hang out in though. If the tent is going to always be used for 2 people I'd go with the 3 person model as the weight difference is pretty minimal.

OP
Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag

WKR
Thanks Stephen B and COSA, just doing a thread like this helps me visualize things and think things through.....with your input of course. I think Nallo 3 for sure, but now I'm not sure if I want the GT vestibule or not. I've got a nice tarp I could bring along instead for more versatility. Vestibule on the Nallo 3 is 1lb 1oz. I'll have to go weigh my tarp. It's packed away with my hammock right now. Thanks for getting me thinking guys!

stephen b

WKR
A 8x10 tarp or even a 10x10 ( silnylon) from a number makers- Integral Designs, Oware, Bearspaw, etc only weighs 14-16 oz. and you can get one new for close to the same $95 price difference between the Nallo 3 and Nallo 3 GT.

Just something to think about.

OP
Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag

WKR
A 8x10 tarp or even a 10x10 ( silnylon) from a number makers- Integral Designs, Oware, Bearspaw, etc only weighs 14-16 oz. and you can get one new for close to the same $95 price difference between the Nallo 3 and Nallo 3 GT.

Just something to think about.

Definitely something to think about. Just looked up the specs of my biggest tarp (Warbonnet Superfly). 10 x 11 and 1#3oz silnylon. I certainly just hump that and save $100 and pretty much a wash on weight. Certainly more versatility.

stephen b

WKR
There you go- all set.

And that is a good versatile size tarp that does not weigh much- but gives you a lot of options. Good size to set up as a separate dining fly, or set up not to far from a campfire. And light enough to have in your pack to even just throw it up and start a warming fire if you are caught in a significant day time storm. Or can use that shelter size for sure to bivy out with away from your Hille.

For the weight and cost benefits- it to me would be more useful than added GT vestibule. For bad weather I often bring along a Integral Designs tarp for the same reasons, when I bring a heavier Hilleberg shelter for 2. I can think of numerous times where I have started a warming fire and set that tarp up quickly and enjoyed a meal, and even a afternoon nap. Then all is right with the world, and sure beats quickly hoofing it back to base camp tent.

OP
Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag

WKR
Just had a thought. Is there any reason why you couldn't set up a stove Jack in the GT vestibule for late season? Or do you need a certain amount of height to dissipate the heat before passing through the tent wall such as in a taller tee pee structure?

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
One consideration with the GT versions is the space that is required for proper set-up - those tents are LONG. A buddy bought one of the GT versions and had hell trying to find a place he could pitch it on a NV mulie hunt. That won't be an issue in many situations, but may be another reason to use a separate tarp with the standard version.

OP
Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag

WKR
One consideration with the GT versions is the space that is required for proper set-up - those tents are LONG. A buddy bought one of the GT versions and had hell trying to find a place he could pitch it on a NV mulie hunt. That won't be an issue in many situations, but may be another reason to use a separate tarp with the standard version.

I think that's a fair point. We set up an Anjan 3 GT at the store the other day and it was long for sure. That certainly crossed my mind. Proper campsites can be tough at times.

stephen b

WKR
Just had a thought. Is there any reason why you couldn't set up a stove Jack in the GT vestibule for late season? Or do you need a certain amount of height to dissipate the heat before passing through the tent wall such as in a taller tee pee structure?

If you want to bring a stove along for late season, I would rather either have a shelter dedicated to that and then either bring a small one with your Hille ( like a Kifaru super tarp, or something like that); or just buy a $200-$300 floorless shelter to put a stove jack in and just use that for later hunts. IMO- would be better to have 2 separate shelters for different uses, rather than put a stove jack in a Hille GT vestibule. Those vestibules are big - but not that big, as I think they are only 28 sq ft or so.

But people have put stove jacks in Hille vesti's- I did this year talk to the owner of one of the hunting pack companies who hunted with a buddy that had a stove jack in his Hille GT. And he said it was pretty nice- but that was the first time he used a small heated shelter.

If it was me, a Hille for a heated shelter would not be my first choice.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
If you want to bring a stove along for late season, I would rather either have a shelter dedicated to that and then either bring a small one with your Hille ( like a Kifaru super tarp, or something like that); or just buy a $200-$300 floorless shelter to put a stove jack in and just use that for later hunts. IMO- would be better to have 2 separate shelters for different uses, rather than put a stove jack in a Hille GT vestibule. Those vestibules are big - but not that big, as I think they are only 28 sq ft or so.

But people have put stove jacks in Hille vesti's- I did this year talk to the owner of one of the hunting pack companies who hunted with a buddy that had a stove jack in his Hille GT. And he said it was pretty nice- but that was the first time he used a small heated shelter.

If it was me, a Hille for a heated shelter would not be my first choice.

Agreed. Trying to make one tent do it all is very tough to do.

Sounds like the OP already has a lighter 3 season tent. So why not use that when you are not expecting the weather to be too brutal. The thing is when you want/need a 4 season shelter instead of a 3 season, you'll want a TRUE 4 season tent. I was considering the Rogen and the Allak and the Jannu myself for a winter mountain goat hunt on Kodiak this year and ended up with the Jannu.

Reason being is if I'm expecting the weather to be nice enough to be able to get away with a 3+ season tent (the Rogen or Anjan) then I wouldn't use them instead I'd favor my GoLite SL-5 due its superior space/weight. So in times when I'm expecting the winds to howl and what not I want a stout 4 season tent so I went with the Jannu. Nearly the same inner tent space of the Nallo 3 (35.5 sq ft for the Jannu I believe and like 36.6 for the Nallo 3) so its got plenty of room inside for two. But I also appreciate free standing over tunnel tents now. I owned a Nallo 3 GT for a couple years and after having the wind shift to 90 degrees and come at it from the sides I just prefer free standing in my heavy 4 season tent design as anything less weather wise the SL-5 will be my go to.

I also agree with Stephen that a seperate bivy shelter instead of a GT vestibule is how I roll now as well. Much more versatile (leave camp setup and take the 1-2 pound tarp/tipi along ot bivy out if needed or set it up in camp and hangout there and sjust sleep in the bomber 4 season shelter. Much more space overall for little to no weight penalty and option to have a shelter with you at all times even when leaving camp.

Lots of ways to skin this cat certainly, and its up to you to find what works for your style/needs, but if it was me I'd get a 2 man true 4 season tent and something like a pyratent from Bearpaw designs as a hangout or bivy tent to accompany it.

OP
Tiger Rag

Tiger Rag

WKR
Thanks again guys. Yes, I've got a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 for my 3 season needs when I'm solo. I don't really love it, it's pretty tight for me 6'3" 225 lb guy. This shelter also seems awfully delicate. Hence the reason I'm looking for a larger more durable tent. Figured if upgrading, I'd go 3+ or 4 season. Maybe I am trying to envision too much out of one shelter. I've been a hammock guy for the past few years but finding a good hanging spot isn't always feasible or at least convenient.

I appreciate all the input. It's given me a lot to think about.