Havalon knives

Vector32

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking to get one this year. What one are you guys using. What do you like or dislike about it ? Is there something better ?

Trr15

WKR
I'm just using the regular ol' orange handled piranta. Last season was the first time I tried a havalon. Didn't take me long to realize why everyone spoke so highly of them. Took apart my elk in record time. Only knock is that the blades break easily if you torque them...simple solution is to not torque them and use the blade as intended. :)

Weekender

WKR
Just bought the newer style camo one (wish they had a different color). It's a little different shape which I liked over the edge. Plastic ones seem like a better choice not so cold to use.

I have the thinner metal handled knife not sure which model. I like it better than the larger handled plastic ones. First elk I did I went through half a dozen blades. Didn't help I just run into a griz and it was getting dark. You have to slow down and let the knife do the work, don't force it. Now I easily get through an animal or two with one blade. Last year I did 2 sheep with one and sharpened the blade but broke it on my elk. Ya I'm cheap.

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
this might be a dumb question but since I cant see spending that much on a havalon why wouldn't this aluminum handled husky $5 knife work? replaceable razor blades.

Attachments

• Folding-utility-knife.jpg
    Folding-utility-knife.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 72

cleatus

FNG
I use the barracuda. It has a longer thicker blade. I really like it a lot. Down side is blades are more expensive.

Buster

WKR
this might be a dumb question but since I cant see spending that much on a havalon why wouldn't this aluminum handled husky $5 knife work? replaceable razor blades.

Some guys don't like a straight blade, but if you can work with it, nothing wrong with a good deal. Just a heads up, sometimes utility knife blades can be coated with a thin layer of oil. Just check them out before replacing blades. I'd imagine it tastes like crap.

tttoadman

WKR

Might be pretty slow going and difficult with the short blade length and no curve to it. I know a few guys who also prefer the fillet knife to the original because of the longer blades.

First let me qualify my next statement by saying that I have not used my new havalon yet. I think the thicker blades are an expensive upgrade when proper use of the original has proven just fine for many.

Shrek

WKR
I have a half dozen of those husky box cutters , one sitting next to me. They are heavy as sin . I bought the barrucuta and used the piranta last year. Both work but I think the barrucuta will suit my cleaning style better. I haven't weighed the husky but I would bet I can carry both havalons for the weight.

Kotaman

WKR
I have a half dozen Havalon's and have been using them for years. Just last week I picked up the Outdoor Edge Razor and will say I'm impressed. The knife is not as light as the Havalon but the blades seem much more stout AND are much easier to work with as far as taking them out and replacing. My Havalons will see less work this fall. I will still use the Havalon when I'm "counting ounces", but for general use, it will be the Outdoor Edge.

Weekender

WKR
I have a half dozen of those husky box cutters , one sitting next to me. They are heavy as sin . I bought the barrucuta and used the piranta last year. Both work but I think the barrucuta will suit my cleaning style better. I haven't weighed the husky but I would bet I can carry both havalons for the weight.

Shrek have you used your barracuda on fish yet? If so did you feel the blade was long enough?

brewer427

WKR
I use the Havalon Torch, little more expensive but I love the thicker blades and aluminum body. I use the same knife for work and hunting, gets used and abused everyday and have had know issues.

Shrek

WKR
Some guys don't like a straight blade, but if you can work with it, nothing wrong with a good deal. Just a heads up, sometimes utility knife blades can be coated with a thin layer of oil. Just check them out before replacing blades. I'd imagine it tastes like crap.

Shrek have you used your barracuda on fish yet? If so did you feel the blade was long enough?
No , I bought the hunting blade and since I used to commercial fish and run a seafood market I have some knives I use for that. I'm really particular about fish knives after cutting tens of thousands of pounds of fish.

Ebby

WKR
I've used the small one, the Medium one and now I'm using the Blaze. I love them and have cleaned numerous deer and turkey plus a sheep and a moose with them. The newer thicker blades the 60A are really nice. I have only cleaned turkeys with the thick blade but should put it to use this fall. Seems like great fix to the broken blade problem.

Lee

MattB

WKR
Anyone tried the new Outdoor edge Razor? Seems like the same concept but better protection from blades breaking.

With no belly to the blade, that will be much more difficult to work with.

I have the original and like it pretty well.

charvey9

WKR
Awesome. 2.3 ounces for the knife and 5 extra blades. (no sheath). Can't be beat for the weight and versatility. However it is a multi-purpose blade, and not necessarily the best for all jobs. For example, if you aren't careful it is pretty easy to poke through a cape with the tip, where a skinning/caping knife would shine. All things considered though, I think it is the best option for a backcountry knife.

I have several nice benchmade knives, but can't beat the weight of the havalon in the field and nothing sharper than a new blade. As a slightly heavier option, with a more sturdy curved blade, look at the Outdoor Edge model with the replaceable blades.