Havalon knives

I love my Piranta. I have boned out several elk and deer in the field with it. Most of the time by myself. I broke a handful of blades on the first couple elk but have learned to let the knife do all the work. I can cut the legs and head off without an issue. Its the only thing I pack with me for field dressing now. It crazy sharp so be extra careful and pack some quick clot with ya.

BOW1144

Lil-Rokslider
My current position has me working closely with a forensic patholigist, it is amazing what these blades can do in the rigth hands! I have access to all different types of blades. The #70 blade has a rounded tip that would be great for skinning and would be worth wild to keep a cuple in your pack. You can order them through most medical supply companies.

MattB

WKR
My piranta with a blade in it and seven spares in its sheath weighed 2.95 oz on my scale just a minute ago.

I don't use the sheath, I just use a rubber band to keep the spare blades with the knife. That drops an ounce and a fair bit of bulk from the possibles pouch.

Shrek

WKR
I don't use the sheath, I just use a rubber band to keep the spare blades with the knife. That drops an ounce and a fair bit of bulk from the possibles pouch.

I thought about that and decided I'd keep the sheath. The thought of one of the spare blades getting loose in my very expensive Kifaru bag gave me the creepy crawly feeling. It's a little bulky but it binds the spares right next to the handle which should keep the blades from getting bound end to end and pushing through the foil wrap and wreaking havoc. I just think how much damage could be done by poking a blade into my tightly compressed WM Kodiak. My kill kit rides in the lower pouch on my DT1 .

Frosty

FNG
I have only used mine at home for skinning so far. One thing that i have found is that when you want or have to change a blade mid job and your hands are a bit fatty and bloody, it seems sketchy. To slide the blade back to pop it off with slippery fingers is asking for trouble. That is when I feel like I'm going to have an accident with it. I was wondering what other people do changing blades to keep it safe?

Frosty82

WKR
Nice name!! I always use a pair of pliers.

I have only used mine at home for skinning so far. One thing that i have found is that when you want or have to change a blade mid job and your hands are a bit fatty and bloody, it seems sketchy. To slide the blade back to pop it off with slippery fingers is asking for trouble. That is when I feel like I'm going to have an accident with it. I was wondering what other people do changing blades to keep it safe?

Frosty

FNG
At home or hunting out of your vehicle that does work. Im thinking in the mountains, its late, you're tired.....

Zackman

Lil-Rokslider
I love the havalon knife I have been using for many years. But like others pointed out, it lacks sturdiness. So, I carry a Cutco serrated 6" knife with me for any prying that may be necessary

MattB

WKR

I push the very back up the blade up with the finger nail on my index finger nail and slide the blade forward with the other hand - never had a problem with that method.

I carry a mini multi tool to do this plus it's nice to have around for odd jobs. I think I paid 5.99 at cabbalas for mine.