Kifaru - NEW INSULATION!!! - Sleeping Bags

armyjoe

Super Moderator
NEW INSULATION!!
Kifaru is excited to announce that all sleeping bags 0*- -20* bags are being made with newer and much warmer insulation. Climashield APEX is the new insulation and it is spot on for temp rating.

http://climashield.com/products-apex

These bags are ready to ship within 2 weeks. WE HAVE INVENTORY!

I am a cold sleeper and have been trying out the new 20* the last couple weeks and its night and day different from the old sleeping bags. This is still a continuous filament insulation so its all the same construction. The bags are a little bit heavier but worth every ounce in warmth.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
We are running the following weights. These weights are also what the new SOCOM cold weather sleeping bags are going to use.

20* - 2 layers of 3.6
0* - 1 layer 3.6 & 1 layer of 6.0
-20* 2 layers of 6.0

littlebuf

Banned
For such an en lightened company in the world of back packing it really surprises me kifarus resistance to down. Be interesting to see how these heavier bags are received in this age of going lite

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Down isn't used by the military. This insulation is tough as nails and that's why we are still using it.

For such an en lightened company in the world of back packing it really surprises me kifarus resistance to down. Be interesting to see how these heavier bags are received in this age of going lite

littlebuf

Banned
Down isn't used by the military.

Yeah neither are boots that are worth a shit. I hope the military's standard of lowest bidder for everything they use wouldn't be the bench mark. I wasn't knocking the bag I just find it interesting with the trends in the industry that Kifaru would go this route and make a heavier bag. Seems the opposite is what's flying off shelves ( so to speak) these days

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
You have to understand that we sell to Special Operations units and they want tough as nails gear. A couple ounce matters nothing when the bag is more durable. These are NOT the normal grunt bags. As far as the "trends" go. Ya, there are some lighter weight bags out there and there are some quilts out there but I will guarantee if you took our bag and those bags and beat the ever loving piss out of each one - ours will come out on top. Thats why we built them the way we do and why we make them a little tougher.

There are plenty of options for down, if they don't need to compete in this market then why would they? We get mad at companies for expanding to so many options that they can't meet demand but now a company is sticking to its strength and we are complaining about that as well.

littlebuf

Banned
There are plenty of options for down, if they don't need to compete in this market then why would they? We get mad at companies for expanding to so many options that they can't meet demand but now a company is sticking to its strength and we are complaining about that as well.

Who's complaining? I said I found it interesting. I've no interest in a slick bag or really anything else from Kifaru at this point, pretty well set with what I have. A down slick bag with the rhino skin could maybe change that but still not likely. Just struck me as a odd choice of a revamp of there bag in this market . That's all, don't get your Kifaru panties in a bunch over it

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Yes, I am a seriously cold sleeper and the old bags I froze in the mid 30's. The new bag I've had down to 34* and was fine. The Marine Corp also spent $1 million on a 13 month testing of this insulation and they rated our bag insulation rate at 15*. They are definitely warmer bags now.

anyone who sleeps cold test these yet? like someone who packs a 10deg in summer?

We are running the following weights. These weights are also what the new SOCOM cold weather sleeping bags are going to use.

20* - 2 layers of 3.6
0* - 1 layer 3.6 & 1 layer of 6.0
-20* 2 layers of 6.0

Is this for the top and bottom, or just the top? If it's just the top, what is used for insulation on the bottom (if any)?

Rizzy

WKR
So where you in a 20* or 0*?

For those of us who are cold blooded, would you say the new 20 is equivalent to the old 0?

Yes, I am a seriously cold sleeper and the old bags I froze in the mid 30's. The new bag I've had down to 34* and was fine. The Marine Corp also spent $1 million on a 13 month testing of this insulation and they rated our bag insulation rate at 15*. They are definitely warmer bags now.

OP
armyjoe

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I was in the 20*

Yes that's pretty close to the temp rating now. The old bags were about 10-15* off FOR ME.

Last edited:
Its a full wrap. Same insulation top and bottom.

Was there any testing done without insulation on the bottom (ground) of the bags. Only curious because that material compresses so much that it's virtually useless when laying on it. Assuming that a sleeping pad is being used, the bottom insulation could be removed to lighten the load a bit. Just a thought.