Down versus synthetic longevity- SG and Kifaru (Apex)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I have been asked repeatedly about the performance and differences between quality down, especially treated down; and quality synthetic- Climashield Apex.

The examples here are a Stone Glacier Grumman and a Kifaru Lost Park Parka (LPP). The Grumman is 6 years old, and the LPP is 7 years, however the LPP has less overall use time due to what is below. Both have been used about the same give or take. The Kifaru more on ranges and general wear, the SG more on hunts.

For stated “warmth” that means sitting and glassing for hours without moving, no shaking, no rubbing hands, etc- think sleeping bag. As comfortable as siting at home. Not in the sunlight, so think overcast day.
This is using a standard thin base layer and normal mid layer- Patagonia waffle top, Sitka Kelvin Active or other lighter weight Alpha insulation, etc. under it. Out of the wind, or with a wind shirt over, full belly; legs, feet, head and hands all taken care of.

The comfortable temp range is not based on just my use and thoughts. It is dozen of people. For females and children you can add 5-10° to the listed value for true comfort.

First the Lost Park Parka:

Warmth: 35°-40°ish F when new. After approx 90 days it is a 45° to 50° at best.

The LPP is probably the “best” synthetic standard weight, normal production jacket on the market. At least it is my preference. The RhinoSkin material is durable except for heat (of course), and Climashield Apex insulation is quite good, if a bit heavy, when new.

The issue is that all synthetic insulation has a relatively short lifespan- this includes Apex. I have owned and used multiple LPP’s, and have seen several dozen used consistently and they lose about 40-50% of loft in approx. 90 days of use- sitting in a chair, hunting, stuffed in a pack, etc. At 30 days of use the lost loft is noticeable, and at 60 days I would not take one on a legit hunt where insulation matters- late season elk in cold weather, sheep hunting, etc.

In rain or when wet, standard synthetic performance.

The Multicam on the left is brand new, the tan is the old one, and has had this level of loft since about 90 or so days of use/ it has not lost anything noticeable since then-

They are laid down under their own weight- not puffed up or pushed down at all
IMG_6459.jpeg

The difference in loft between the new one on the left and the used one on the right is around 90 days of use-
IMG_6455.jpeg

New loft is 1.3” to 1.4”-
IMG_6457.jpeg

Used is .6” to .7” at most-
IMG_6458.jpeg

Stone Glacier Grumman:

Warmth: 35’ish degrees. After approximately 900 days of use (150 days times 6 years), it might have dropped a couple of degrees to 35°-38°.

No noticeable loss in loft from new. The only difference between a brand new one and the old one is that when compressed in a stuff sack, the old one takes 5-10min to fully loft up, and new ones fully loft in 30sec to 1 min.

In rain or when soaked, it took about 4 to 5 years of use (600 days) and 7-8 washings before loss of loft when in rain was noticed. The first couple of years even when dunked in water or sitting for hours in rain, loft remained virtually unchanged. It still dries quickly- about as fast as synthetic, and way faster and easier than standard down, or other treated down I have used.

Gold on left is brand new, grey on right is old-
IMG_6446.jpeg

IMG_6450.jpeg

Brand new is .9” to 1” of loft-
IMG_6449.jpeg

Old is .9” to 1” of loft-
IMG_6448.jpeg

Main differences:

Longevity- after 6 hard years of use that almost no one would use a down jacket for, the Grumman basically remains as good functionally as when new. There has been no issue with wearing out, or wt weather performance problems. The Kifaru LPP which is great when new, has noticeable degradation in loft and warmth by 30-60 days.

Durability:

The Pertex fabric of the Grumman is fantastic for a lightweight shell. No major tips, and small holes close up with a bit of water. However, it like all down jackets (all puffies) aren’t meant to bust brush nor crawl for distance in the ground. The face fabric or good, but if torn the down will come out. In contrast, the synthetic is more forgiving of larger tears and abrasion because even when it gets torn, the insulation won’t come out- if you look at the tan LPP it has a large burned spot by the zipper and multiple patches. If you look at the grey Grumman it has multiple patches on the sleeves.

Both are fine as a puffy jacket. If you do silly things like wear a puffy while going through thorn/brier thickets, synthetic will handle it “better”, that is- it’ll tear, but you won’t lose insulation. The answer here is use puffy for what it is made for- static insulation.

Conclusions:

Everything stated about the Kifaru LPP can be translated to any other jacket that uses the same fill of Climashield Apex insulation. But, it will generally perform better than almost all other synthetics. In contrast, the water resistance and ability to dry out after being soaked of the Stone Glacier Grumman cannot be applied to other down garments. I have not used all the treated down options, but I have used a bunch and non have down as well as SG’s. SG’s down products are the only down insulation that I do not worry about water any more than synthetics.

If the use is for ranges, crawling around, and abusing it where warmth and weight doesn’t matter all that much, the LPP is excellent and by far my preference. However, if insulation longevity in use, warmth, weight, pack size, etc., matter-quality down is objectively and significantly better.

ljalberta

WKR
This reflects my experiences across all forms of synthetic insulation that I’ve tried. I still have a couple synthetic insulated pieces, but the longevity of the insulation and the weight/warmth ratio keeps bringing me to the down.

I primarily hunt Alberta though, and it’s not known for its wet climate.

I’ve experimented (not always intentionally) with different treated downs and non treated downs getting wet. Maybe I’ll do a bigger write up another time, but I can say for sleeping bags, I’m leaning more towards untreated down these days. I’m not settled on a preference for jackets yet. I certainly don’t have form’s number of days in the field though.

Very well written. I have a lot less time with the products mentioned maybe 25 - 30 days over the last 3 years for the Grumman and have found the exact same results. I bought my dad the LPP 3 years ago and he lives in Michigan and uses prolly 50-80 days per year. He just visited and brought the jacket with him, and I was shocked how flat it was.

I have been asked repeatedly about the performance and differences between quality down, especially treated down; and quality synthetic- Climashield Apex.

The examples here are a Stone Glacier Grumman and a Kifaru Lost Park Parka (LPP). The Grumman is 6 years old, and the LPP is 7 years, however the LPP has less overall use time due to what is below. Both have been used about the same give or take. The Kifaru more on ranges and general wear, the SG more on hunts.

For stated “warmth” that means sitting and glassing for hours without moving, no shaking, no rubbing hands, etc- think sleeping bag. As comfortable as siting at home. Not in the sunlight, so think overcast day.
This is using a standard thin base layer and normal mid layer- Patagonia waffle top, Sitka Kelvin Active or other lighter weight Alpha insulation, etc. under it. Out of the wind, or with a wind shirt over, full belly; legs, feet, head and hands all taken care of.

The comfortable temp range is not based on just my use and thoughts. It is dozen of people. For females and children you can add 5-10° to the listed value for true comfort.

First the Lost Park Parka:

Warmth: 35°-40°ish F when new. After approx 90 days it is a 45° to 50° at best.

The LPP is probably the “best” synthetic standard weight, normal production jacket on the market. At least it is my preference. The RhinoSkin material is durable except for heat (of course), and Climashield Apex insulation is quite good, if a bit heavy, when new.

The issue is that all synthetic insulation has a relatively short lifespan- this includes Apex. I have owned and used multiple LPP’s, and have seen several dozen used consistently and they lose about 40-50% of loft in approx. 90 days of use- sitting in a chair, hunting, stuffed in a pack, etc. At 30 days of use the lost loft is noticeable, and at 60 days I would not take one on a legit hunt where insulation matters- late season elk in cold weather, sheep hunting, etc.

In rain or when wet, standard synthetic performance.

The Multicam on the left is brand new, the tan is the old one, and has had this level of loft since about 90 or so days of use/ it has not lost anything noticeable since then-

They are laid down under their own weight- not puffed up or pushed down at all
View attachment 672541

The difference in loft between the new one on the left and the used one on the right is around 90 days of use-
View attachment 672542

New loft is 1.3” to 1.4”-
View attachment 672546

Used is .6” to .7” at most-
View attachment 672547

Stone Glacier Grumman:

Warmth: 35’ish degrees. After approximately 900 days of use (150 days times 6 years), it might have dropped a couple of degrees to 35°-38°.

No noticeable loss in loft from new. The only difference between a brand new one and the old one is that when compressed in a stuff sack, the old one takes 5-10min to fully loft up, and new ones fully loft in 30sec to 1 min.

In rain or when soaked, it took about 4 to 5 years of use (600 days) and 7-8 washings before loss of loft when in rain was noticed. The first couple of years even when dunked in water or sitting for hours in rain, loft remained virtually unchanged. It still dries quickly- about as fast as synthetic, and way faster and easier than standard down, or other treated down I have used.

Gold on left is brand new, grey on right is old-
View attachment 672548

View attachment 672549

Brand new is .9” to 1” of loft-
View attachment 672550

Old is .9” to 1” of loft-
View attachment 672551

Main differences:

Longevity- after 6 hard years of use that almost no one would use a down jacket for, the Grumman basically remains as good functionally as when new. There has been no issue with wearing out, or wt weather performance problems. The Kifaru LPP which is great when new, has noticeable degradation in loft and warmth by 30-60 days.

Durability:

The Pertex fabric of the Grumman is fantastic for a lightweight shell. No major tips, and small holes close up with a bit of water. However, it like all down jackets (all puffies) aren’t meant to bust brush nor crawl for distance in the ground. The face fabric or good, but if torn the down will come out. In contrast, the synthetic is more forgiving of larger tears and abrasion because even when it gets torn, the insulation won’t come out- if you look at the tan LPP it has a large burned spot by the zipper and multiple patches. If you look at the grey Grumman it has multiple patches on the sleeves.

Both are fine as a puffy jacket. If you do silly things like wear a puffy while going through thorn/brier thickets, synthetic will handle it “better”, that is- it’ll tear, but you won’t lose insulation. The answer here is use puffy for what it is made for- static insulation.

Conclusions:

Everything stated about the Kifaru LPP can be translated to any other jacket that uses the same fill of Climashield Apex insulation. But, it will generally perform better than almost all other synthetics. In contrast, the water resistance and ability to dry out after being soaked of the Stone Glacier Grumman cannot be applied to other down garments. I have not used all the treated down options, but I have used a bunch and non have down as well as SG’s. SG’s down products are the only down insulation that I do not worry about water any more than synthetics.

If the use is for ranges, crawling around, and abusing it where warmth and weight doesn’t matter all that much, the LPP is excellent and by far my preference. However, if insulation longevity in use, warmth, weight, pack size, etc., matter-quality down is objectively and significantly better.

If it was the end of the world and you had to run off into the bush to fight/survive indefinitely, which would you take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
What's the noise level on the SG? Think sitting and glassing for mule deer but deer end up feeding up a finger less than 150 yards away.

Would building a shooting position and shouldering the rifle cause excessive noise? I had a Firstlite Chamberlin as a backup down puffy in this exact situation and it proved to be far too noisy. It seems the face fabric on the SG may be a touch quieter like my Nunatak coat?

Also, good to see long term use with the unproven to me treated down they are using.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What's the noise level on the SG? Think sitting and glassing for mule deer but deer end up feeding up a finger less than 150 yards away.

Would building a shooting position and shouldering the rifle cause excessive noise?

It’s as quiet as any puffy. I grew up killing very skittish hill country whitetails that were hunted nonstop for 3 months a year, and unless bow hunting in dead calm conditions, I find the worry over noise to be mostly overblown.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
Do you think there is something about the construction of the SG grumman that provides it's water resistance/ability to dry out, or is it purely the down treatment?

Asked another way, do you think the Katabatic Tincup down jacket would have similar properties as they use the same Hyperdry 850+ fill treated down?

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Do you think there is something about the construction of the SG grumman that provides it's water resistance/ability to dry out, or is it purely the down treatment?

Asked another way, do you think the Katabatic Tincup down jacket would have similar properties as they use the same Hyperdry 850+ fill treated down?

I’m not sure. I haven’t used the Katabatic.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
It’s as quiet as any puffy. I grew up killing very skittish hill country whitetails that were hunted nonstop for 3 months a year, and unless bow hunting in dead calm conditions, I find the worry over noise to be mostly overblown.
Skittish whitetails in Minnesota every year requires a fleece (archery) or soft face vest (rifle) over the puffy to be quiet enough. Different strategy completely than mule deer and coues in general.

Sounds like this is as loud as most puffies then, with sub par (normal puffy) face material. That was my worry.

Snowhunter11

Lil-Rokslider
Ryan Avery did a podcast on down jackets wetting out. Cannot remember all the jackets tested however SG was the best. Kuiu treated superdown came in second. I was still thinking I would go Kuiu when my garbage down jacket fails. SG Grumman face fabric 15. Kuiu SD pro is 30. I don’t claim to be a fabric expert nor have I tested these in the field. My thought was I would give up a bit of waterproof for a marginal increase in durability. All other specs for these two are very similar. I think it’s a vital albeit expensive piece that hopefully when purchased will last for many days/years afield.

eamyrick

WKR
I’ve used the Patagonia Nano Puffs off an on for the last decade. Layered under armor, travel, etc. 100s of days. I agree they lose some warmth. I think the lightly insulated options are the way to go with synthetic. The wind blocking and light insulation make it the ideal active piece for me. I would never consider it a warmth option for stationary glassing or a mountain trip but used it on a 7 day Alaska float with temps in the 30s and it was ideal under a rain layer.

I have a quilt with apex insulation that shows a similar loss of loft.

It was quite warm when new. After much use and several washings, it has greatly diminished.

Antares

WKR
Interesting. I love my LPP. I’ve worn this one a ton over the last 2 or 3 years and it doesn’t seem quite as “deflated” as pictured above.

Anyone know of a jacket similar to the LPP, pullover/anorak style, but with no insulation? I’d like something like that just as a windbreaker layer. Don’t care if it’s loud. Front and sleeves with cordura like the LPP would be ideal.

IMG_2076.jpeg

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Interesting. I love my LPP. I’ve worn this one a ton over the last 2 or 3 years and it doesn’t seem quite as “deflated” as pictured above.

It can be hard to tell from a picture, however yours looks significantly less “puffy” than brand new ones. Have you compared it next to a new one?

In any case, it doesn’t really matter. The loss of loft of synthetic insulation relatively quickly is a reality. How quick is all dependent on how much use, what that use is- stuffed in a pack or stuff sack multiple times a day, how it’s stored etc. Synthetics have a shelf life, and it’s relatively short. The LPP is my choice for a synthetic puff overall, but if I use them as a normal puffy, they get replaced by every season.

Quality synthetic= a couple of months.

Quality down= a decade plus.

It’s funny how our brain works- the whole reason for synthetic over down is for the supposed durability and lack of maintenance- you don’t have to worry about it. Yet as soon as I got in the truck today with the brand new LPP I threw it and a down jacket in the passenger seat, and a can of drink and a headset on top, then immediately pulled the LPP up so it wasn’t getting compressed. Didn’t care at all about the down jacket.

Anyone know of a jacket similar to the LPP, pullover/anorak style, but with no insulation? I’d like something like that just as a windbreaker layer. Don’t care if it’s loud. Front and sleeves with cordura like the LPP would be ideal.

I greatly prefer anoraks. There are some wind shirts/jackets, but I don’t think anything exactly like that.

Antares

WKR
It can be hard to tell from a picture, however yours looks significantly less “puffy” than brand new ones. Have you compared it next to a new one?

In any case, it doesn’t really matter. The loss of loft of synthetic insulation relatively quickly is a reality. How quick is all dependent on how much use, what that use is- stuffed in a pack or stuff sack multiple times a day, how it’s stored etc. Synthetics have a shelf life, and it’s relatively short. The LPP is my choice for a synthetic puff overall, but if I use them as a normal puffy, they get replaced by every season.

Quality synthetic= a couple of months.

Quality down= a decade plus.

It’s funny how our brain works- the whole reason for synthetic over down is for the supposed durability and lack of maintenance- you don’t have to worry about it. Yet as soon as I got in the truck today with the brand new LPP I threw it and a down jacket in the passenger seat, and a can of drink and a headset on top, then immediately pulled the LPP up so it wasn’t getting compressed. Didn’t care at all about the down jacket.

I greatly prefer anoraks. There are some wind shirts/jackets, but I don’t think anything exactly like that.

I agree with all that. I bet mine has spent less time compressed than yours. I’m either wearing mine or it’s loosely stuffed in the top of my pack but infrequently truly compressed.

My cold weather jacket is a big Marmot. Stained, lots of patches, pushing 20 years old but still works well.

I’ve mentally sidestepped the down vs synth debate. I’m always wet, so I skip down when I’m hunting at home.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
Arktis Stowaway Shirt, no cordura but they're pretty tough and cheap.

jolemons

WKR

View attachment 672989
Filson has a tin cloth annorak now i think

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

@Formidilosus , am I making this up or have you previously given good feedback on the ECWCS puffy as well.
I'm not Form and he probably has more days in one, but I have an ECWS puffy top that I picked up used and, for the price, am extremely happy with it. I've used it for stationary activities down to -20 (with significant layering) this year with no issues, not including wind chill from snow machining.

Due to the price point, my favorite part about it is that I just don't worry about it. Wiring traps to a tree, leaning up against spruce while on a predator stand, etc. are things I wouldn't dream of doing with a high-dollar puffy.

It's not something I'd backpack with, but for my purposes of a hard use puffy, it's bang on.