Montana Unlimited Sheep Stolen

A friend of mine had a true trophy of a lifetime stolen from his pickup last weekend. While returning from an unlimited unit hunt his bighorn sheep head and cape were stolen somewhere between Butte and Lolo. Several stops were made and it is unclear where the theft took place. One side of the sheep is freshly broken off from a 130' tumble after the shot. The cape will have a semi-circle gash from the fall between the horn and eye. The horns have not been plugged. If anyone has any info please PM me.

dotman

WKR
That is terrible, have him contact F&G if hasn't already and all local taxidermists with photos. Hope they catch the scumbags!

OP
BackcountryMT
That is terrible, have him contact F&G if hasn't already and all local taxidermists with photos. Hope they catch the scumbags!

Absolutely awful. He has been in contact and been interviewed by FWP. They are currently up his ass and accusing him of shooting a sub-legal ram. Surprise, surprise. All taxi's between here and there have been contacted.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's terrible. Not being plugged is going to limit what can be done with it so there may be some hope for recovery. I don't get what kind of person does something like this

Craig4791

WKR
That's rediculous!! Sorry to hear. Get some pics up if possible, that may help.

Absolutely awful. He has been in contact and been interviewed by FWP. They are currently up his ass and accusing him of shooting a sub-legal ram. Surprise, surprise. All taxi's between here and there have been contacted.

I'm sure he has some photos of himself with the ram that would clear up the legality of the ram with the FWP, right? If not I could see why they would be skeptical.

If you have pics, post or PM me your email. I live here in Montana. Spend time in Butte, Billings, Bozeman, and Miles City all year. The more that know, the better.

jmez

WKR
I'm sure he has some photos of himself with the ram that would clear up the legality of the ram with the FWP, right? If not I could see why they would be skeptical.

Why would someone report a sublegal ram stolen? That makes no sense at all.

I agree.... He is the one who said the FWP is up his friends ass. One would think that a person with the trophy of a lifetime would easily be able to produce pics of himself with said trophy. If he has none it would be odd and hence why I would understand the FWPs skepticism of his story. One reason a person might report it stolen is if they thought someone witnessed said event and was going to turn them in. I'm not saying that's the case at all. All I'm saying is a picture should be easy to produce, not even for our benifit but to clear it up with FWP.

Last edited:
OP
BackcountryMT
Guys, the hunter who killed the ram is not active on any forums nor does he have a facebeook, etc.. He works a crazy schedule for UPS and has been dealing with FWP in the offtime. I have contacted him about pictures.

FWIW. Three hunters on horseback on an opposite ridge watched him shoot the ram. There were witness's.

Why would he kill a ram with an audience, pack said ram out, call the hot line immediately, and then report it missing? Makes no sense.

jmez

WKR
Why would he kill a ram with an audience, pack said ram out, call the hot line immediately, and then report it missing? Makes no sense.

Kind of what I was thinking.

Not the first time I've heard of this type of attitude/reaction from MT wardens.

Hope he gets his ram back and they let him horsewhip the piece of trash that stole it from him.

mmw194287

WKR
I'm not making any accusations, but I don't think the wardens' suspicions are entirely crazy. If you killed a ram, called it in immediately, and then realized or became concerned that it might be sub-legal before you took it in to get sealed, wouldn't this be the easiest way out to keep your trophy and avoiding being ticketed? Or if you killed it and immediately realized it was sublegal, but you had an audience so you've got to keep acting like it is all on the up and up, you might call it in before figuring out a plan.

I'm guessing that FWP has seen people try to pull something like that in the past, and they have to be suspicious for the sake of due diligence.

I don't have a precise understanding of the how the whole process works (or the regs in the unlimited districts), but my guess is that's what the wardens are thinking. Again, to the OP, I'm not trying to make accusations or cast suspicion on your buddy. I can't imagine how sick I would be if someone stole a trophy like that from me.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
Hindsight 20/20 and all but you would have an easier time stealing my underwear off me than horns I am transporting of a bighorn sheep. I would be taking pictures before the gun went boom and after even if was with my cell phone camera.

If you did manage to steal my horns...pictures would be placed on 50 different websites in the next 24 hours by me or a buddy if I am tech-lite or working 22 hours a week which is generally not the case for delivery drivers other than Thanksgiving to Christmas period. I would make sure the pictures were posted because I would be angry and want the POS caught.

Hope this gets resolved soon.

Last edited: