Late season Wy pays off

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
Myself and great friend Troy Owens packed into the back country Sunday night, set up camp and settled in for a very chilly 15 degree night.

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
After some granola milk and blueberry breakfast we headed out to a glassing point Troy calls the crows nest

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
We spotted 3 diffetent bulls about 2 miles below us. Our plan was to drop in and be on them when they came back in the meadows at dusk.

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
Our plan worked perfectly, wind was correct and I had a good rest. The elk started to filter out... Only problem was that the elk were about 800 yds away and dark settling in. We backed out and dropped all the way into the bottom and settled in for another night of cold temps..... (Thank you Kifaru! The 0 degree bag was awesome) BIG but awesome.

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
An hour before light we headed out towards a meadow that the biggest bull was spotted the day before.
At first light we spotted two bulls and a cow but they were 1500 yds away. As we put together a plan and gathered up our gear I looked to my left and spotted a yellow object on the hillside.

Troy quickly pulled up his binocs and said 6 point.. I grabbed the CRF and two readings said 354 yds. I threw my pack on the ground and went prone. I put the crosshairs just a touch high and squeezed off a shot, the bull flinched and ran up the rockslide. He then turned and ran down and stopped in the same spot. I squeezed off shot #2 and he crashed.

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
After a few pictures we broke down the bull, caped it of the skull and stashed it in the dark timber.
We were 1 mile from our camp and 6 miles from the truck (all uphill). We were only 1/2 mile from the head of the lake so Troy started texting people with a boat... It would be an 18 mile trip by boat.

OP
rodney482

rodney482

WKR
By the time we broke down camp and hiked to the truck it was dark. Troy came through big time and located a boat!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome job Rodney!!! I dig the extraction vehicle too!!! Not everyday you see an elk taken out via boat in the lower 48! Too cool!

daddie63

WKR
Awesome congrats. Looks like a great bull. I'm curious what your gear list looked like.

Sounds like a great hunt