Backcountry elk hunting gear in the late season

I think you meant a "good blonde for when you just can't stand it anymore", didn't you?
I usually correct my type errors once they are brought to my attention but I think I’ll just leave that one alone. Hilarious. That would definitely help when it’s cold and wet outside I guess. 🤣🤣🤣

OP
Hunter E

Hunter E

FNG
I would say binos and a spotter with a tripod are top of the list followed by a good double wall shelter or a tipi with a stove. Make sure you have a pad with a good R-Value or you will freeze no matter the rating of your sleeping bag. Puffy pants and jacket can add to comfort while sleeping and are almost a necessity for any November glassing session. Get a good layering system where you can strip down if it is a hot November or find the sweet spot if it’s frigid. I use a standard poly base layer alone if it’s not too cold and throw on a synthetic fleece hoodie when it’s colder. The most important thing to pack in is a good mindset and knowing you will be cold. Your body will adapt after a few days but it can be tough. Hand warmers can make things feel much better as well.

I bring a lot of soup mixes and bone broth packets. Coffee, tea or cider can help with the cold mornings.

Extras would be some micro spikes and poles. Some guys love insulated boots but if you have sweaty feet you may find your feet get much colder with them after a long hike so that may take some trial and error for yourself to figure it out.

You still have time to get your name in the hat for many states and there are still many November hunts that are OTC for elk across the west.
Thanks for the input

Pack in a lightweight hot tent set-up. You’ll thank yourself. Xtra weight but worth it when you want to dry out wet clothes and boots over the Ti woodstove.

bjack6755

FNG
Tenacious tape and Leuko tape. Just a little bit of each. Tenacious tape is for repairing tents and rain gear. Leuko tape is for your heels and any other medical need that may arise.