Alaska Unit 13 Moose Info

RGH

FNG
With the deadline for the draw permits for moose coming up in Alaska for 2015 I am trying to gather a little info on Unit 13 (13D,13A,13E to be specific). For a little background information: I went on a moose hunt this year in September and hunted with a general season tag in Unit 11 and 12; was unsuccessful but had a great time. I am addicted now! I am fortunate in the fact that my boss' dad owns a float plane near Glennallen and is willing to help me out. We have decided to try unit 13 as he is somewhat familiar with the area. Chances of drawing are between 11-20%, if unsuccessful, will probably do a general season tag again. After doing some research, talking to the F&G and the biologist it seems there is a significant amount of hunting pressure in 13, (which was evident on the drive to Glennallen this year ). With the aid of the float plane are there areas that can be reached that do not get pressure from hunters? Which of the three listed above have the least amount of pressure? Not looking for anyone's honey holes just some general info on the unit. Thanks in advance.

Ray

WKR
Unit 13 is the market basket for half the state's population and is surrounded by the majority of the state's road system. So it does get a little pressure. Lots of sub legal bulls are poached each year by folks that have no clue what a 50" wide moose looks like. Soon there will be very little mature bull moose in large areas of unit 13.

That said, the drawing for 13A or 13D would be your best bet when using a float plane for access. 13D has some large lakes that you can spend time in, but stay off native land. 13A has all kinds of smaller lakes and some are going to be accessed by 4WD moose buggies from the road system. 13E, 13C and 13B would be better served on wheels rather than floats. A good chunk of 13B is a controlled use area and the rest can be an ATV race track.

One of the things that you need to look at is not just the math based on successful draw, but the math on successful harvest. A quick review shows me that 13C has a lot of potential for successful hunts, then 13D, the rest are spotty for successful harvest. Why the hunters were not successful could be dozens of factors: poor access, poor planning, limited time in the field, or no moose.

https://secure.wildlife.alaska.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=harvest.lookup

A float plane will get you many incredible places south of glenallen. If your willing to work hard there a some huge Bulls to be had.

Pm me sometime.