Trekking poles

charvey9

WKR
I like the Leki Carbonlite XL. Very light, and come with an adapter that lets you use the pole as a monopod for a camera or gopro boom.

charvey9

WKR
Mostly depends on how much you want them to weight, but you can spend $50-$250. The light ones will cost you.

n2horns

WKR
Rei carbon with the quick flick click clamp. Not the screw knob, had to many that failed and like the flick clicks better. I do cary a small mini leatherman to screw it tight if needed. Most partners have the same so we are all familiar with gear.

easton hike carbons, a great product... bought the infamous costco poles for my son made by cascade, carbon as well. imop for the money hard to beat.

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I have a set of Easton Ultra-Lite Carbon 3 poles and love them. They are the twist-lock style, and I have never had a problem with them. I've never used the flip-lock style for one reason. I hunt in brushy areas, and I am concerned about the flip locks catching on brush, and potentially even becoming unlocked from snagging. It may be a non-issue to some in reality, but not something I wanted to find out after I spent $$$ on a hiking pole and in the back country. The classic debate of twist vs flip lock is almost as old as the Ford vs. Chevy debate!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bd ultra distance zPoles are always in my pack until the snow gets deep then it is the bd ultra mt carbon poles with snow baskets which will be coming out starting turkey day as the snow is getting deep in the high country

kodiakfly

WKR
I've got a set of MSR Talus TR3 poles. They're heavier, but lock rock solid for supporting my fat butt. Just picked up a set of Komperdell Carbons and the lighter weight is nice, though they do flex a bit more than I'd prefer...though they've not failed me. Flick locks all the way for me.

For poles, I suggest checking out sierratradingpost. They've got a decent selection of Leki and Komperdell and their prices are good, especially with a coupon.

I picked up a set of black diamond ultra distance carbon z-poles for about $85 on ebay a while back. Pretty sweet deal for a great pole.

Will these listed poles suffice or pull double duty as trekkers and shelter support? I,e. Seek tents and the like. Or is there one you guys would recommend for shelters.