Pack Size - How Big is Big Enough?

Have a 2015 antelope trip planned. Western Wyoming high country mule deer shortly thereafter. Can also see other things like elk, moose, sheep, bear etc down the road if i am lucky enough to draw or willing to spend money.

For backpack hunting with the usual gear, shelter, stove, pad, bag, clothes, food etc, how big of a pack is big enough? Some buddies use 4500-4800 range packs, but i see several 6000+ size packs on the market. What type of hunts would require the high end size packs?

These things are expensive and for those of use on a tight budget, its important that we pick the proper item the first time, and the item be durable enough to last many trips into the wilderness.

the pack that i like best thus far is a Stone Glacier Sky 5100. Expandable for packing, convertible for hauling, collapsible for hunting.
Just want to make sure the 5100 size is appropriate, and I shouldn't have a need for anything bigger.

Some other options I am considering are the Kifaru Timberline 1 (7200), Timberline 2 (5200), Nomad (7000), EMRII (8400 OMG!) HighCamp (4800/7000). Also the Kuiu Icon Pro 5200 and 7200, as well as the Ultra 6000. SG, Kifaru and Kuiu are all expensive, but all get high reviews too. I think I will probably stay with something i have listed, i just dont know which one yet. Would like to use it in 2015 for the antelope hunt as sort of a trial run with all our gear.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Most of us that go on extended backcountry hunts, like to use a bigger pack than we need normally so we have the extra cubes when we need them.

The nice thing about most of the bigger Kifaru packs is how small they get when you compress them.

Kotaman

WKR
You don't need a huge pack "going in", it is coming out with an animal where "the bigger the pack, the better" applies. I currently run an EMR2 and the pack does not carry nearly as large as the cubes indicate. I took it on a desert coues deer hunt in November and it worked great as a daypack but even better when I packed the whole deer out in the bag after I killed one.

I used almost every pack on your list this past fall. They are all good packs. For the money, the KUIU Icon Pro is hard beat. Stone Glacier makes a great product as does Mystery Ranch, but for me Kifaru is just a cut above the rest.

PJG

WKR
I really think it boils down to the length that you plan to stay out. For weekenders in the summer I am typically around the 4500 cu. in. range, and have a little space left over. I need a little more space for the fall, winter, and spring if I am packing a wood burning stove for my shelter. For trips that are more along the lines of 5 to 10 days I truly think that you would be hard pressed to have enough pack at only 4500 cu. in. Sure, some people on this site might be able; I am not one of them. Another thing to consider is that most of these guys will take out camp and meat at the same time during a hunt. To be able to do this they need to have greater capacity. It really boils down to what your realistic expectations are. Like mentioned above you can always compress a large pack, good luck getting a small one to grow.

I have personally tried the Stone Glacier 5100; it’s a very nice light pack. However, IMO it is a one to two night pack. I personally did not like the fit on the Stone Glacier. For me anyway, any pack with straight stays in it does not work, this was the same as the Mystery Ranch Nice Frame. I need a pack that has contoured stays in it. Without having contoured stays in the frame I experience pain in my shoulders and in the front of my hips. Kifaru packs have contoured stays in them, and for me this makes a world of difference.

colonel00

WKR
It will also matter if you are going solo, with a buddy or in a group to split some items like shelter and cooking stove.

OP
C
For the upcoming antelope trip a large pack certainly isnt required, and the time frame not as long. The the high country muley hunt, we are planning on roughly 7 days. Two guys, possibly a 3rd. Most likely 1 shelter for two guys so splitting some of the load.

The contoured stays of the Kifaru, is that a general contour or are they fit to the individual?

PJG

WKR
The stay options are discussed in the video on this page:

http://store.kifaru.net/duplex-platform-frame-and-suspension-p8.aspx

For the upcoming antelope trip a large pack certainly isnt required, and the time frame not as long. The the high country muley hunt, we are planning on roughly 7 days. Two guys, possibly a 3rd. Most likely 1 shelter for two guys so splitting some of the load.

The contoured stays of the Kifaru, is that a general contour or are they fit to the individual?

I hate having crap lashed to the back of my pack so I'm definately part of the go big or go home crowd. When I see smaller packs on the trail there ways seems to be something lashed to the outside like the sleeping pad or tent. Not for me.

And as noted the bigger packs do compress down pretty good.

I'm also in the "go big or go home" crowd. I can only attest to having used a Badlands Sacrifice pack during my first year and wishing I had lots more room. I now have the EMR-II and can tell you that I've never wished it was smaller. The very slight weight penalty of a bigger volume pack is insignificant in my mind.

As it has been said, many bigger packs will compress down very nicely for day hunts or a long weekend trip and also have the volume to load it up for a week to 10 days and carry out a load of meat.

For any backcountry hunt, I have never wished my stone glacier sky 7400 was any smaller. And I have the load shelf for meat.

Keep in mind, the size of pack also has to do with how good of gear you have. Some guys I've hunted with can fit their stuff in a lot smaller bag than I can because they have better, more compressible gear.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
So nice to see more and more folks getting away from 4000-5500 cu in packs in favor of huge packs that can compress down well. Everyone hunts differently and has different needs based on their style, but its hard to get away from the fact that properly designed large 7500+ cu in packs that compress down well in reality only weigh a few oz more than one half its size, but give you a WHOLE lot more options and cheaper in the long run as you can literally do everything with one well designed large pack. I have seen a trend on here that many that were using and suggesting T2-T3s or similar are now running larger packs, which is a cool thing to see.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I can use my SG Solo easily for a 3-5 day trip and also strap another 2500-3000cu in of stuff between the bag and frame if need be.......hopefully a load of meat.

bcimport

WKR
Big can be helpful if your careful not to fill it just because you have space. I intentionally downsized from 6500 down closer to 4500. My knees and hips don't like loads much over 80#'s and it's very easy to take an ugly fall loaded down too heavy. I'm amazed at some of the loads guys claim to carry out of rough terrain, perhaps even skeptical at times.

jmez

WKR
A consideration not often mentioned is what are you physically capable of carrying in mountainous terrain. Huge packs may be great but if you can't carry your camp and animal at the same time it really doesn't benefit you to have the space to do so. You also have to be willing to carry a huge, heavy pack even if physically able. I prefer to make two trips rather than carry 100+ lbs. I've done it, not doing it again if I don't absolutely have too.

I have a Sky 5100 currently I can put 10 days of gear in the bag with room to spare, not using the lid. I don't have a lot of high end ultra compact gear. My food won't fit in the bag but fits nicely on the meat shelf. I could probably get 5 days of food stuffed in the bag and lid if I wanted to. I just put it a SG meat bag and put it on the shelf. Compresses down and carries well. Some don't like the meat shelf, some do, personal preference.

I don't see how i would ever have a use for the 7400, like I said, I prefer more trips to an ultra heavy pack out. Only thing a bigger bag would offer me is being able to put the food inside my bag. I don't mind it on the shelf.

Biggest frustration you will have is spending that kind of money on something you can't get your hands on. I had a friend send me a pack and then I bought a couple and sold the one I didn't want to keep. You can also send them back for 30 days.

AZ Vince

WKR
I tend to use highly compressible gear. That saves me space. I can do 7 days with my Kuiu 5200 easy providing I have a water source. Packing in water, in the desert, gets old, is heavy, and it takes up too much room. I take the bare minimum usually and just rough it. What's a tent? The only extra clothing is rain gear and one pair of socks per week.

charvey9

WKR
I'd say the minimum you'll want is 5100. I almost bought the Sky 5100, but the difference between the 5100 and 7400 is 1.5 ounces and about $20. I have yet to need the full 7400cu, but it is always there if I need it.

The nice thing about the Stone Glacier is they compress so well, and air is easy to carry. I'm usually using the 4500cu main bag for anything under 5 days, use the lid for 7 days. Someday...might get to expand all 7400.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I can do 12 days with a 3500 cu in pack easily if not packrafting. But I don't buy a pack for what I am hauling into the woods....

dotman

WKR
I can do 12 days with a 3500 cu in pack easily if not packrafting. But I don't buy a pack for what I am hauling into the woods....

Yeah but realistically in the lower 48 we are much closer to our endpoint on our pack outs :). Yes I'm jealous!!