Perfect pack for elk

I bought a k2 3500 back in 2018 and it’s still going strong. Great pack. Haven’t felt the need to switch yet. The k4’s do look pretty sweet though

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have a kuiu pack and my boys have mystery ranch. The mystery ranch are better for elk hunting all day long.

I run a Kuiu Pro LT 5500 and have no complaints so far, just minor improvements I'd like to see. However, I would be hard pressed to not look at an Exo if my budget allowed it. They only make packs, and make them well. I only bought my Kuiu because it was on sale. My Kuiu only has 1 season, and two elk hauled out experience/usage wise, so can't speak to any more than that. I can't speak to a 7000 size pack, no experience there.

My hunting partner did snap 1" off the top of the carbon fiber frame when packing out, but that's because he didn't set it up properly for hauling heavy - it was completely his fault, and Kuiu replaced the frame no questions asked. He's since read the manual and learned how to set it up correctly.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Personally have used MR for years and have no issues with them. If I was in the market for new pack K4 would be the one I would go with, tried one on at a trade show, those things are slick

zippe444

FNG
I have a kuiu pack ive been running for the last 5-6 years and Ive had nothing but good luck with it

Blackbird

FNG
Huge SG fan here have ran the sky 5900 for the past 5 years and just picked up a COL4800 for next year. As stated above customer service is great you can call them up and they will answer any questions you may have. I have never had any issues with the actual pack though.

I have a nearly 20 year old Kifaru Longhunter with some modifications done on the bag. This winter I just bought a Stone Glacier Krux frame and a used 3300 bag . I also bought a 6900 bag new. Do not buy any pack because it is the most popular choice currently. Does not matter what I or anyone else uses and likes. The only reason you should buy anything is trying it out with weight and making sure it fits YOU. You will be the one carrying your gear and packing meat if you shoot something. At that point I could'nt care less if my pack is the one the "cool kids" like, I want something that fits me and works for me.

rw79

FNG
What is the best pack for a~ 10 day backcountry elk hunt? I was tempted to buy the Kuiu 7000 LT because of the big sale right now but am skeptical after hearing all the mixed reviews
I have an Exo K3 and love it. I've also heard great things about Initial Ascent packs but have not personally tried them.

Usi05

WKR
I started with KUIU and had no complaints. Packed meat in it once and it sucked.

Switched to stone glacier and it just fit me better. Have packed with it a few times and it feels so much better. Would also agree on SG customer service. Also had good coverage for Kuiu on 2 warranty claims as well.

Lots of folks here with more meat packing experience than me though.

I’d say try as many as you can and find what fits you best. Also would encourage you to load up a bag of sand or salt in each to see how it feels with weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have tried a few and have settled on sg 5900 with Xcurve. Very comfortable pack for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a side note:
Whatever you chose - buy two. That way if you yo-yo you can travel as far as you can, then rest up on the way back to pick up the next load. With two you don't have to repack each time. I have moved a lot of elk and deer this way even though I prefer ponies.

Noticed this option hasn't been given, but I would seriously look into the Initial Ascent packs. I have the IA4k system and never been in for a 10 day trip, only ever 3-4 days at a time, but it works phenomenally. I've packed out 5 elk with it in the last 2 years and it carries weight like non other. I had the MR Metcalf before and hated it so I sold it and bought the IA and haven't looked back. The way the pack and frame is designed makes the weight distribute more from side to side instead of going outwards (if that makes any sense).

bodhi406

FNG
I like the KUIU fine but its what I have. Its nice that its pretty easy to switch the bags, as I almost always end up using the smaller bag. I feel like you can't really go wrong with any of the name brands. I would try some out, they all fit different IMO

Gapmaster

WKR
There’s about 1,000 threads about packs on RS. Search and read through the history.
I completely agree with the guys that have mentioned that 10 days is a huge undertaking on your first pack hunt. May want to second think that IMO.

But as far as a pack goes, everyone is different, every pack is different. Some are as different as night and day. It took me going through 4-5 before I found one that was to my liking. I still switch up depending on hunt, terrain, etc.

Find some guys that will let you try some on and buy used to save some $. There’s guys selling packs all over the internet that used them 5-7 days and figured out the mountains ain’t no joke.