Kitchenaid Meat Grinder Attachment worth getting?

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Just got a Kitchenaid Pro Mixer a couple of weeks ago and was looking at the grinding attachment and wondering if anyone has used it and if it is worth getting or better to just save up for a grinder? I've got about half a deer left to process. What do you guys think?

muleman

WKR
Not worth it. Had one and sold it years ago. Too small and lacks power for game processing.

FreeRange

WKR
I did about 30 lbs of venison last year in one sitting with it, it started to smell like burning electrical components and my wife was giving me nervous looks but it pulled through. It was a wedding gift from my in-laws, looking back I probably shouldn't have put it up to that much abuse.

A cheap dedicated meat grinder costs about the same as the Kitchenaid you will one day destroy with a lot of grinding work.

For small jobs the grinder works great though, I make a lot of my own ground beef in 2-3lb batches and that's what I'll continue to use it for. I always freeze/cube/re-freeze and then grind. Just freeze enough to firm up the meat and you'll get a cleaner grind. Also of course remove as much silverskin as possible.

I have had great luck with the one we have. I have done venison, waterfowl, pork.....for about 4 years now. Last year I did 40 lbs of waterfowl in one sitting. It takes a while as it has a small hopper, but I love it. WAY cheaper than a dedicated grinder and the look my wife gives me as I am getting her pretty machine all bloody is priceless!!! :cool:

colonel00

WKR
I will chime in and say that they are worth it to have but perhaps not for full game processing. I use mine often when I am making my own beef/deer burger mix or grinding up some pork for sausage or turkey, etc. I can do maybe 15-20 lbs of meat and it is tolerable but definitely not fast.

DWinVA

WKR
Ours works great. I only grind deer as we eat it so I'm not running it very long each time. Does the job and is easy to clean up.

God Bless.

LandYacht

WKR
We usually do three elk a year, 2 deer, and countless water fowl. Works just fine. A 3/4 horse meat grinder will run circles around the kitchen-aid, but that's a lot more money too. If the pro is the mixer with the arms that raise as opposed to the head you will be even happier with it. Just got that style mixer last year after using the lower level mixer for the past 9 years.

JG358

WKR
Great for small jobs like making fresh grind for burgers or small batches of suasage but not ideal for big jobs.

OP
avodude

avodude

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Almost added an elk to the freezer this evening with a muzzleloader. I will get the grinder attachment, since I like the idea of doing somewhat small batches of jerky and ground meat and also look at a meat grinder.

Last edited:

Bughalli

WKR
I do small batches for making burger and jerky/beef sticks. The kitchen aid seemed like a good idea but it performed terribly and that's comparing it to my hand crank #8 Porker. The kitchen aid motor is stong enough, but will smell a bit due to working hard. The components just weren't good quality. Mine got gunked up all the time required me to clean it. Maybe the meat wasn't chilled enough or there was too much silver skin. Either way the hand crack porker went right throughs it. Blades on the KitchenAid are small and not very sharp. The silver skin really built up quickly. The screw is plastic, where most others are metal. The screw actually does some cutting on good ones, where this won't at all. After getting frustrated twice, I went back to the hand crank and sold the KitchenAid on Craigslist for $25. Planning to get a 3/4 horse after the new year, which is when Cabelas has big sales on them. I wish KitchenAid would invest in developing quality components, because I think it's a great idea, just bad execution.

Lukem

WKR
We had one growing up and ran countless deer and elk through it. It's slow even compared to my 1/2 hp LEM. They key to the kitchen aide is slicing the meat into small enough strips that they are easily pulled through. Even better if u can keep the small cuts connected as it seems to have a little trouble grabbing meat to pull it in. Cut a chunk an leave the strips connected and it'll suck it right through.

charvey9

WKR
Works good if you aren't in a hurry. I've used one to do a deer and a bear before. Not as good as a dedicated grinder, but will do.

arffdog875

Lil-Rokslider
I have had one for about 6 years, good for small jobs, but for larger quantitys I would invest in a larger stand alone grinder.

Jazzdog

FNG
not strong enough for processing but fine for small jobs like making fresh burgers or breakfast sausage

rbljack

WKR
When my wife and I first got married, she wanted (and got) one of those osters which was similar to the kitchen aid. We used that thing for years grinding deer and elk.....LOL. It finally gave up (the grinder part) and we got a grinder. The answers above match what I would say about the oster..it was great for smaller jobs, but now that I have a full blown grinder, much faster.

Bmcox86

WKR
I have the grinder and stuffer both work well. My wife dices up the venison well and we chill it before hand and have no problems. Just ground 15lbs of scraps yesterday for jerky . Worked great

I think they are worth having.
I was gifted an Oster center as a wedding gift 25yrs ago and my mother passed on her grinder attachment for it. I have used it to grind thousands of pounds of burger over those years. And it wasn't until this past year that I finally put up the $500 for a real 1hp grinder. Anyway, I just did a bowl of meat at a time and then I'd take a break from burger & cut some steaks to give the motor a chance to cool down. I will say this, be careful if your KitchenAid is one of the lower amperage models. Feed it slow and steady w/ chilled meat. Course plate on first grind, mix by hand, chill, then second grind with small plate.

But first chance you can, invest in a 1hp grinder.
I got a Cabela's Visa card and started routing all my fuel, groceries & vacation expenses through it and saved the points & paid for it that way.
Anyway, the KA attachment will work fine if you pace your grinds.
Hunt'nFish