Meat Grinder- Help Me Choose

ephul

FNG
Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I'm needing some opinions. I'm pretty dead set on getting a MYM or LEM Meat Grinder. I was set on the MYM #32... But then thought about the Dual Grind feature... I'm not sure if I'll ever get the meat mixer from MYM that is only compatible with the #32, but having that option would be nice. However, the MYM #32 does not have the dual grind capabilities.

So, how nice is dual grind? Nice enough to not worry about a mixer with MYM? Or do I go with the LEM #22 dual grind, which also has a 25 & 50lb mixer compatible with it?

I'll be grinding things like deer, beef and turkey up into ground burger. I'll also be running pork through it to make sausage. Is the dual grind feature a "must have"?

I like the idea of a 1.5 HP, but I feel like the 1 HP would probably do everything I'm needing... And if I go LEM 1HP, I wouldn't have to buy any dual grind attachments since it comes with it.... Or, will the extra 1/2 HP make a huge difference to where I'm better off getting the LEM #32 and buying the dual grind attachment with it?

I think you answered your own question. I like more horsepower. Get two different sizes of grinder plates and then just switch to the smaller plate for your second grind. A mixer isn’t really necessary. You can mix just fine by hand. If you want something like hot dogs or snack sticks just grind the meat 3-4 times to emulsify it. I like a 3/8” plate and then grind through a 3/16” plate for hamburger and breakfast sausage. For SS, brats, snack sticks, etc. I grind about 3 times through the 3/8” plate and then sometimes once through 3/16” plate. If you don’t want to change plates then go with the dual grind.

OP
E

ephul

FNG
I dont really mind changing plates, but if the 1 HP works just fine, May as well get the dual grind is my thinking... but this is my first grinder, and I'm a "Go big or go home" guy.

Then, I'm torn between LEM and MYM

OP
E

ephul

FNG
I'm curious if a 1 HP Dual Grind would be better than a 1.5 HP single grind...

feanor

WKR
Just used the dual grinder, and ground 150 lbs in 1 hour. From raw chunks of meat and raw chunks of fat to the finish fine grind. Amazing.

OP
E

ephul

FNG
Did you find the dual grind useful?

I feel like 1 HP "should" be plenty powerful for my needs, but I don't want to be wrong.

I dont really mind changing plates, but if 1 HP is enough, May as well kill two birds with one stone with the Dual Grind

OP
E

ephul

FNG
Or do I just pony up the $, get the LEM #32, and leave myself the option to get the dual grind? Or is it money down the drain?

If all your grinding is meat, the 1 hp will be more than enough.
I use a 3/4 hp carnivore grinder from cabelas. When I was looking the 1 or 1.5 were recommended if you were grinding like whole chicken carcasses (bones) for pet food. I think the 3/4 would grind my hand off if I would let it. It has no issue with anything I've thrown at it. I use it to stuff casings also. I have no experience with the double grind feature. I grind, mix in separate container (usually a tote) then grind again with the same plate.

z987k

WKR
I have the MYM 1hp with the dual grind feature. I'd highly recommend the dual grind. Saves tons of time. You need to grind most, but not all(and should not some) types of sausage.

If you're making sausage you still need to activate the myosin. The grinder does not do this. You can do it by hand or get a mixer. It's quite tedious by hand if you're doing a lot. Most grinders come with a handle, which is easier but it's real nice to be able to attach the grinder to it.

I ended up buying the cabelas 50lb meat mixer. It mates up perfectly to the MYM 1HP model.

Another thing that will save boatloads of time is a dedicated sausage stuffer. Using a grinder to stuff isn't ideal at all. With the grinder it'd take my a lot of time to do 50lbs of sausage. Now it's like 5mins.

z987k

WKR
I'm curious if a 1 HP Dual Grind would be better than a 1.5 HP single grind...
The HP has nothing to do with the grind quality. Only the quantity it can do and the speed in which it can do it. Dual grind saves time if you're making sausage, or prefer a dual grind over single for burger. Grinding already ground meat is slow because it wants to stick and you have the actively stuff it into the feed tube.
Dual grind is about convenience and time saving. HP is about the rate it can do it.

OP
E

ephul

FNG
I would definitely get a separate sausage stuffer... as far as a mixer, the only MYM grinder compatible with their mixer is the single grind 1.5 HP.

So the LEM definitely gets points for a broad range of accessories for more of their grinders...

z987k

WKR
I would definitely get a separate sausage stuffer... as far as a mixer, the only MYM grinder compatible with their mixer is the single grind 1.5 HP.

So the LEM definitely gets points for a broad range of accessories for more of their grinders...
You don't have to use the MYM mixer and grinder together. These are all made in china. There's a similar patern and size on most of their drive shafts.(MYM, LEM, Weston, Waltons). I have a feeling all of these have internals from the same exact factory in China.

I don't know what MYM says only the 1.5hp is compatible, but the cabelas mixer IS compatible with the MYM 1.0, and I have a feeling the LEM and Waltons are as well.

OP
E

ephul

FNG
I’m a dual grind believer after today. Saved us so much time.

Interesting. Man, I'm torn now. I was leaning 1.5HP MYM or LEM... but now I'm think 1 HP MYM or LEM with dual grind...

Bak222

FNG
I’ve been having a similar debate, for the same reasons. Has anyone heard of “Walton’s”? They appear to be a family owned, reputable company, but can’t find many real world reviews. They have a #32 1.5 HP for $600 right now. Also have a 50# mixer it can hook to. And a dual grind attachment can be purchased for $150. Seems like it checks all the boxes, but can’t find much info

OP
E

ephul

FNG
LEM is having a sale right now. 25% off plus free shipping. I looked at the Walton's line, but with LEM offering pretty much the same thing, I decided to go with LEM. Parts are readily available about anywhere.

z987k

WKR
I’ve been having a similar debate, for the same reasons. Has anyone heard of “Walton’s”? They appear to be a family owned, reputable company, but can’t find many real world reviews. They have a #32 1.5 HP for $600 right now. Also have a 50# mixer it can hook to. And a dual grind attachment can be purchased for $150. Seems like it checks all the boxes, but can’t find much info
I really like Waltons. The only reason I don't own all their stuff is because they want an arm and a leg to ship to ak.

Bak222

FNG
I really like Waltons. The only reason I don't own all their stuff is because they want an arm and a leg to ship to ak.
Thanks. I believe it, free shipping for me with this sale. They seem like a good company with good customer service, but I’ve found zero reviews other than what’s on their website. Still not as cheap as MYM, but I like that I can buy extra parts for the Walton, and more attachments if I decide to in the future

OP
E

ephul

FNG
Thanks. I believe it, free shipping for me with this sale. They seem like a good company with good customer service, but I’ve found zero reviews other than what’s on their website. Still not as cheap as MYM, but I like that I can buy extra parts for the Walton, and more attachments if I decide to in the future

I'm also skeptical of any new company that offers a "limited lifetime warranty", regarding the MYM line. Especially one that doesn't offer parts to buy.