Quilt vs Big Agnes Bag

I know there are lots of threads on quilts and I have read what I can find. I cant get my mind of a EE revelation quilt. I currently use a BA lost ranger rated at 15 degrees. Its 49oz and there is no way in hell its worth of a 15 degree rating. So I am just pissed at this point that my 49oz bag isnt really warm (I am on a BA air core pad just got a BA Q core SL for cheap but haven't tried it yet). BA is sort of like a quilt in the sense there is no bottom insulation. The only thing I think I will miss (with a quilt or just another type of bag) is the sleeve in the BA bags for the pad. I love having the pad securely under me and not waking up in a pile below my bag like some of my friends.

SO... I have 3 questions. 1. Have any quilt guys switched from the BA system and hated that part of not having the pad in the sleeve? and 2. Has anyone who has tried both found that the EE quilt temp ratings are more realistic? Is there a sleeping bag I should consider that might make me happy (I cant stand the confinements of mummy bag, I would like to ditch some weight, and I want a more true temp rating) in the same price range as BA/EE (around $250)?

Thanks for your help.

I cant give a comparison with a quilt but the reason you are not getting anywhere near 15 degrees with your current set up is not the bags fault... you are using an air core pad with zero insulation. I have the same bag, I use with with an air core when it is in the 60's and stay cool. Try it with that q core... you will be very suprised by the temps you get to. 15?? maybe not. But what bag out there really gets you to the exact number? I have been in my lost ranger down into the single digits in a bivy, in a tent with minimal base layers on with my q core and stayed warm.

Joe

OP
jquarnberg
I get cold in August in that bag if I don't have the woobie or a silk liner. Maybe the qcore will be much better than the IAC?

I am not sure what you guys are talking about. I have simply slept on the ground on non insulated pads in below freezing temps for decades and must say if you are in a 15 degree bag and uncomfortable at a reasonable temp such as 30 degrees the bag must SUCK . Not sure what temps you are in but with an insulated pad you should be comfy at 30 degrees no problem. I have never tried a quilt or an insulated pad but plan to to buy and use both this coming year based on info I gained here on Rokslide.

I am in a very similar situation. Except I am running the BA summit park bag. It's 59 ounces but being a down bag I feel it's pretty warm. I also really like having the pad in the sleeve but cutting that weight in half by going to a quilt is really tempting. I am hoping the straps that run under the pad will act somewhat to keep everything in place.

Plan to convert for next year.

Jon Boy

WKR
I am not sure what you guys are talking about. I have simply slept on the ground on non insulated pads in below freezing temps for decades and must say if you are in a 15 degree bag and uncomfortable at a reasonable temp such as 30 degrees the bag must SUCK . Not sure what temps you are in but with an insulated pad you should be comfy at 30 degrees no problem. I have never tried a quilt or an insulated pad but plan to to buy and use both this coming year based on info I gained here on Rokslide.
some people are much colder sleepers than others (myself included) sleep system choices are as personal as boot choices IMO.

Kotaman

WKR
Jqua-I froze in that set up on my first AK hunt in August a couple years ago and I know it wasn't below 40 at night. I've also used the the 0degree Storm King with similar results, but with a little better results. This year I used a 0 degree slick bag (side zip) with a little better results again, but still not ideal, then went to a Western Mountaineer 5 degree Sequioa...PROBLEM SOLVED!

I love the BA concept and wouldn't doubt that their 800 fill down tec bags would be much better, but Western Mountaineering is the real deal. I also picked up a new center zip 0 degree Slick Bag to try. I haven't written off BA bags, but to me their temp ratings aren't even close, and I always use an insulated pad.

I haven't taken the Quilt plunge yet, but some of them look really good, including the one you are looking at...

7mag.

WKR
I've never used a Big Agnes bag, but I do use an EE quilt. I have an EE Revx 10° quilt, and I've slept on a IAC in light weight base layers, in the mid twenties, and stayed very warm. I don't see myself ever going back to a bag.

I use the Lost Ranger as well with a Q core. I am a cool sleeper I would say and when temps got at or below 30 I was getting cool in my bag.

I am planning to try a quilt this time around.

Jon Boy, I agree with you that everyone handles sleeping temp different although the original post really makes me suspect that bag based on the use of an insulated pad and a woobie being used with jquarnberg still not feeling the temp rating is accurate. I am a low body fat guy that I believe is an average temp sleeper based on my use of many different brands of bags in many different environments . My rule of thumb is a bag (when in new condition) should keep you safe and comfy sleeping with little clothing in 10 degrees above the rating of the bag in a shelter (no wind directly on the bag) and being dry.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I never figured myself to be one who gets cold easily.

I get cold in the middle of summer if I don't have a good insulated pad under me. I went the down quilt route this year with a 0 degree RevX and an Xtherm pad and loved it. Opening weekend was surprisingly the coldest it got for me this past archery season and woke to snow at 12k feet. I was warm and comfortable with this setup. I've never used the BA system, but the quilt and pad stay in place very well with the straps attached under the pad, and the bottom portion wrapped and zipped around the pad. I liked it so much that I picked up a 20 degree for warmer temps and saved over 10oz in weight as well over the 0 degree.

Jqua-I froze in that set up on my first AK hunt in August a couple years ago and I know it wasn't below 40 at night.......

+1

Froze my ass off in that bag when it dropped below freezing with a UL7 and a closed cell foam on top of that in the Breaks. I would say that is really a 40 degree bag, at least for me. But I'm skinny and from the desert.

OP
jquarnberg
I guess what I'm hoping to hear is that a 20 degree EE quilt will perform better than a 15 degree BA or even perform as well. Is that unrealistic?

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
+1

Froze my ass off in that bag when it dropped below freezing with a UL7 and a closed cell foam on top of that in the Breaks. I would say that is really a 40 degree bag, at least for me. But I'm skinny and from the desert.

Wouldn't it be better to put the closed cell pad directly on the ground and the foam/air pad on top of that?

Bmcox86

WKR
I went from a BA grouse mountain to a EE Rev 20 quilt, the quilt actually holds the pad better with the straps and I only use half of them. I sleep ten times better in my quilt and haven't been cold yet. I was always cold in my BA. Since switching I sleep way better in the back country. Hope that helps

danarnold

WKR
went from a pos coleman flannel bag (in a wall tent on a cot with a pad under) to a EE 0* quilt and froze my ass off at 10*, waiting on a used Marmot Couloir 0* bag

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
danarnold

What was the R value of the pad on your cot? It is easy enough to freeze your azz off in any sleeping bag on a cot at that temp if your pad is only R2. I have done that myself. On the rare occasion I get to sleep on a cot late season, I try to get the padding up to R6 or better by stacking pads and foamies.