Which Enlightened Equipment quilt?

thisguy

FNG
Going on a September bow hunt in Colorado and wanting to shed some pack weight. I've been using a Nemo Disco 15 degree bag and find it plenty warm for that time of year. Not to mention it's heavy. Anyone here have experience with an EE quilt in this scenario? I'm not sure what temp rating would be appropriate and have no experience with quilts. Thanks!

look at UGQ , make a great quilt, op notch quality, I have a EE as well, and never use it anymore, I really like the UGQ , have 3 now
id stick with a 10* quilt personally, you can hang a leg out if its to warm, or open it up all the way
looks like they have fast track quilts on sale as well

Red33

FNG
I have a 20 degree EE. I got it extra wide and love it. I paired it with an Xtherm pad and a zenbivy fast sheet- there is another thread about this. Best sleep system I have found for the backcountry in my 55 years, apart from camper/ truck camping.

With quilts, the pad is just as important as the quilt. You also want it wide enough to keep drafts out. I'm 5'10 and 200lb. I use a wide and find it wide enough to not let in drafts as I turn over. Their degree rating closer to the limit rating than the comfort rating for me. If you are a hot sleeper, the # on the quilt is probably closer to comfort.

If you do a lot of tossing/turning, I would recommend looking at something like the ZenBivy system. It will do a much better job keeping out drafts.

For reference, I have a 20 degree EE Revelation (regular wide) with draft collars that comes in around 25oz. I pair it with a Nemo Fillo elite ultralight at 3oz and a BA Rapide SL at 24oz. I have had it down to about 30 comfortably. Below that, and I start to add clothes. I find their degree rating closer to the limit rating than the comfort rating. If you are a hot sleeper, the # on the bag is probably closer to comfort.

I would recommend a quilt rating 10 degrees below the lowest temp you will experience on your trip.

Tick

WKR
A EE Revelation 30° has worked for me in CO during September. Always exceptions. Have to watch the forecast to see if your bag would be needed instead.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
I went with the 20*, it works fine, but if I did it again I'd get the 10*. Either way, I'm very glad I got it wide and long, and I'm only 5'10 150. It pairs great with an ultra light bivy which helps to keep drafts out.

I use a 30° EE quilt throughout the year in colorado. What I’m sleeping on varies from an air mat to a pad to a cot and even a hammock from time to time.

I used to go with a lower rated sleep system, but they are bulky and heavy. Now I use my layering system for sleeping since I’m already carrying it. It’s for stationary use and sleeping is as stationary as I get.

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
My EE revelation 20’ is a furnace. I’ve used it down to single digits in a bivy with an xtherm and merino layer.
The most important thing about quilts is proper use of the straps, snaps and collar. Do some practice trips before you go so you are dialed in. I sleep much better in quilts and haven’t used a bag in 3years now.

gostovp

WKR
I just picked up an EE Apex Revalarion 30 degree during their sale. Planning to use for Sept Elk . Does anyone use a bag liner like the Sea to Summit Reactor to get a few more degrees out of theirs? In the video posted above the guy that is reviewing his system says they work good

ricejar

FNG
Anyone have input on a sewn footbox or "hotbox" versus the snap/drawcord? Is the snap/drawcord system on EE quilts good enough that there's no draft at all that comes in the footbox?

Time2fish

Lil-Rokslider
EE has a sewn foot box model, I believe it’s the enigma. I prefer the versatility of the draw cord, but the sewn box is lighter I think.

I have some EE stuff, but my favorite quilts are from Arrowhead Equipment (Apex) and Outdoor Vitals (treated down)!

BDRam16

WKR
I guess this one.

View attachment 557182

Oh never mind, you said Quilt!
No joke....my buddy and I were sliding all over the place up a pretty rough forest service road in the rain. We got to the top 45 minutes later and a dude in a kilt driving a Prius was there at the trailhead. No idea how he got that thing up there lol.

Ive used EE, el coyote and now Katabatic. El coyote is awesome, but Katabatic just has some features that put it above the 3 in my opinion. The pad attachment and the stretch trim on the bottom keep the drafts out better than the other 2 brands.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Revelation 10F (long/wide) that I use with a hammock and tent. I've never been cold in it in those conditions, but it's often overkill. FYI in that size, there's about a 3.8 ounce difference between the 20F and 10F models.

roosterdown

Lil-Rokslider
Depends somewhat on elevation, but I'd get a 20 degree if you think it could hit freezing. I've had significant overnight ice in early September in Southern CO at 11,000 feet.

My first EE was a Revelation, second was an enigma because I never unzipped the Rev. 5' 11", 180#, Long/Wide gives lots of room.

I have a 0 degree enigma and I love it. Been using it all summer. I would suggest you always go warmer than you think you need - it can get colder than you think out here. IMO quilts are way easier to regulate your temp (up or down) compared to a mummy bag.