Crossfit!!?

ethan

WKR
Ok, so here's the deal. I've always been active and in pretty good shape. I did a 15K two friggin years ago and developed plantar faciatis(sp?). Since then I've not been able to run, I still do tons of hiking, but have gotten into not so great shape. I think my heel is finally ready to go and will start running again this week, slowly working up as I go depending on what my heel feels like.

My question is "cross fit" looks like a lot and seems very effective. Problem is I'd like to know more about the ins and outs before I just start doing a lot of calastinics. Anybody know of any good sources of info or have any advice? I've been reading some stuff on line.

What kind of info are you looking for? Types of excersices, number of reps, combinations or excersices or something else? Train to Hunt has a YouTube channel you might check out for types of excersices.

Ironman8

WKR
Crossfit.com for general info, yes. But I don't recommend you follow their workouts for a number of reasons. Main ones being that there's no real programming behind them...especially not tailored to you...and secondly, it's not the best idea to do the lifts without a very good understanding of form. I'm assuming you're new to these kinds of lifts and exercises.

Either way, if you're interested in joining a CF gym, then shop around and find out which one in your area has the best coach who actually knows what they're talking about with form, programming, and scaling the workout to you. Don't be afraid to ask for his/her background and how they program and scale the workouts. If their experience with weightlifting started with Crossfit, then I'd most likely be looking for a different gym. Not that they're automatically a bad coach, but there's been a lot of people who've jumped on the CF bandwagon and completed the coaching certification course to open the gym yet really have no idea about the above things I've mentioned.

Crossfit is a great way to exercise and prepare for hunting or whatever else in life. If you have any other specific questions, ask away and I and others can help. There's quite a few on here who do CF or similar.

Last edited:
OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
Thanks for the info guys, I've spent my share of time in gyms but the whole crossfit thing is really taking off and figured I'd look into it. I'll spend some time on Crossfit.com and check it out.

Crossfit gets a ton of shit from non-crossfitters, but for me it has been absolutely life changing. After competing at a high level in college wrestling, I stopped doing anything at all. I gained a ton of weight and became very depressed in my abilities to hunt and do the things I love. I tried P90 and Insanity like workouts and had some results but never could find the motivation to start at tony horton for an hour every morning by myself.

I began crossfit 3 years ago now. I am as strong or stronger than when in college, lost about 30 pounds and feel like I am in a position to hunt at a very intense pace for as long as I need to. Last season I did not even once feel like I needed more gas. I have met all of my best friends through the crossfit community as well. I truly believe that this is the part of crossfit that is so addicting to people. Meeting new people, pushing each other, talking about your gains and encouraging others when they are down... things to never get working out alone or with a personal trainer.

I think crossfit is for everyone. As mentioned, a good coach and proper scaling can make crossfit as effective for a 60 year old diabetic that is 100 pounds over weight as they can a world class athlete at the top of their game.

That said, with the rise in crossfit popularity, many gyms/boxes are opening with shitty coaching just because they are trying to cash in on the hype. I dont feel like crossfit, when performed correctly, is any more or less hard on your body than any other workout. But crossfit with poor form, a shitty coach, and a bad attitude can cause injuries.

As mentioned.... start with the crossfit main page... but dont do those WODs. Honestly, those are written for games-type crossfitters and you will kill yourself trying to keep up. Almost all gyms will let you have a day or so for free to feel it out. Most also have onramp type courses that are smaller, more intimate coaching times where you work on getting your form and skills ready to start into the main programming. A good coach will not let you jump into the main wods without seeing how you perform... no matter how good you think you are. Shop around, find a good gym, dont just settle for the one that is closest, cheapest, nicest etc. The coach and programming are what make crossfit successful, not the equipment.

feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck... you will likely get addicted.

Joe

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
squeekieslayer hit on everything perfectly. You pay for the community and team building. Hopefully the gym/box you find has a great atmosphere of friendly competition. I have been at it 3 days/week for 2 years and I feel in better shape than ever. Also, if you have a partner/wife that would go with you it is excellent for a relationship.

If you are not familiar with olympic lifting (deadlift, power clean, jerk, and snatch), take it very slow because it can be scary. Once you feel comfortable with your form you will love it.

jmez

WKR
Not much else to add. These guys have pretty much covered it. It is completely dependent on the coach and programming. Interview the gym owners and make them show you a list of their past workouts.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Yep squeekieslayer nailed it, I have actually had the pleasure of working out with him many times, he's a machine. Crossfit changed my life as well, and I also learned the hard way with some injuries. Be honest with yourself. I wanted to keep up with the studs, and see what I could do with out taking more time to really work form. After three years and finally refining my form I can do more work with less effort. Just know if your anything like I would guess the majority of the folks on here are, it can get hard to put a little less on your bar when some stud is next to you. No shit it might even be a chick, not even kidding. If you end up in a good box, then you may very well meet some awesome people.

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
Great info fellas, there are actually a crossfit gym in Cookeville (Tn) where I work that has an outstanding reputation. Someone told me the guy that owns the gym is some kind of crossfit national champion or something like that. The only thing is the membership is over a hundred bucks a month! I can get a membership at any number of gyms in town for less than forty a month. I realize they are not c-fit specific, but that adds up to a lot of coin per year that I can put towards hunts. I'm really stoaked to be able to start running again. (If anybody ever tells you plantar-faciatis only lasts a 3 go 4 months, punch them in the throat!!) I'm just wondering if showing up at the gym, hitting the treadmill for 15 mins or so to up my heart rate, and cycling through some high intensity cardio/weight exercises with very little rest in between would be produce similar results? But eventually changing over to one of the crossfit gyms is a strong possibility.

Ironman8

WKR
Great info fellas, there are actually a crossfit gym in Cookeville (Tn) where I work that has an outstanding reputation. Someone told me the guy that owns the gym is some kind of crossfit national champion or something like that. The only thing is the membership is over a hundred bucks a month! I can get a membership at any number of gyms in town for less than forty a month. I realize they are not c-fit specific, but that adds up to a lot of coin per year that I can put towards hunts. I'm really stoaked to be able to start running again. (If anybody ever tells you plantar-faciatis only lasts a 3 go 4 months, punch them in the throat!!) I'm just wondering if showing up at the gym, hitting the treadmill for 15 mins or so to up my heart rate, and cycling through some high intensity cardio/weight exercises with very little rest in between would be produce similar results? But eventually changing over to one of the crossfit gyms is a strong possibility.

You're kidding me with this right now, right? lol.

Please google Rich Froning. He is the gym owner. Crossfit Mayhem.

OP
ethan

ethan

WKR
Crossfit Mayhem, that's it! There are actually two or three "box's" in C-ville. So....if I were to eventually do c-fit I'd probably should go to that gym, huh?

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. Froning is the man. Crossfit does cost a lot, you can chalk part of that to practically having a personal trainer. That is why the coaching has been highlighted here, and if you go to mayhem, I would expect you'll receive some of the best coaching known to crossfit. Just try it you'll probably see. I don't believe the treadmill will come close.

Poser

WKR
I don't have much to add to the above comments either, but a year of Crossfit has really changed my perspective on everything fitness related. The cost was prohibitive for me for a couple of years, but, after the first month, I found it to be totally worth the money. I made and will continue to make sacrifices elsewhere. You have to realize what you are getting in exchange for that $~150 vs the $40 for a conventional gym.

And You have the opportunity to train under Froning. There are people that travel from all over the world to train with him. I'd check it out for sure.

PJG

WKR
I personally feel that if you are a new lifter than you would be better off spending at least a year in a competitive powerlifting or olympic lifting gym. Knowing how to squat properly will put you further ahead than just about anything. I have seen my share of bad crossfit boxes, but I have yet to run into well known powerlifting or olympic lifting coaches that don't know their stuff. I fully agree with the below statement.

That said, with the rise in crossfit popularity, many gyms/boxes are opening with shitty coaching just because they are trying to cash in on the hype. I dont feel like crossfit, when performed correctly, is any more or less hard on your body than any other workout. But crossfit with poor form, a shitty coach, and a bad attitude can cause injuries.

If you understand the squat, deadlift, various shoulder pressing techniques, and the oly movements then yes crossfit can be a great training tool.

Ironman8

WKR
Crossfit Mayhem, that's it! There are actually two or three "box's" in C-ville. So....if I were to eventually do c-fit I'd probably should go to that gym, huh?

Yeah I'd say you should go there! As stated, people travel from all over to train with Froning

Poser

WKR
I personally feel that if you are a new lifter than you would be better off spending at least a year in a competitive powerlifting or olympic lifting gym. Knowing how to squat properly will put you further ahead than just about anything. I have seen my share of bad crossfit boxes, but I have yet to run into well known powerlifting or olympic lifting coaches that don't know their stuff. I fully agree with the below statement.

If you understand the squat, deadlift, various shoulder pressing techniques, and the oly movements then yes crossfit can be a great training tool.

I think that's reasonable and fair advice, however, Oly style gyms are few and far between. I live in a major city and I'm not sure there is one outside of university setting. I'm not sure if there is a non Xfit gym that will even allow a person to do snatches. Some Crossfit boxes run strength based programming. The owner, head coach and one other coach at my Xfit box have Multiple Oly certifications in addition to their Xfit certifications. Some other xfit boxes have dedicated Oly lifting classes where that's all you do. In fact, some dedicated Oly lifters are members of Xfit boxes just for this reason. For better or for worse, Crossfit is the only access most people have to Oly coaching an lifting.

At the same time, I've dropped in on boxes who's strength programming was largely body weight and banded exercises.

In the end, a certain amount of burden falls upon the consumer to do research on their Xfit box, coaches and programming. I love Crossfit, but the standards for who can open an affiliate is a joke. My city now has 15 affiliates and is spread thin for coaches. If you are an unemployed Crossfit coach, there must be a reason. Likewise, the good and experienced coaches are all hired out.

PJG

WKR
Have you checked here:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Weightlifting/Clubs-LWC/Find-a-club

I think that's reasonable and fair advice, however, Oly style gyms are few and far between. I live in a major city and I'm not sure there is one outside of university setting. I'm not sure if there is a non Xfit gym that will even allow a person to do snatches. Some Crossfit boxes run strength based programming. The owner, head coach and one other coach at my Xfit box have Multiple Oly certifications in addition to their Xfit certifications. Some other xfit boxes have dedicated Oly lifting classes where that's all you do. In fact, some dedicated Oly lifters are members of Xfit boxes just for this reason. For better or for worse, Crossfit is the only access most people have to Oly coaching an lifting.

Bubba

FNG
I started crossfit 2 years ago and love the workouts and community centered around it. I'm 39 y/o and am in the best shape of my life from cross fit. There are a lot of haters out there. Its expensive but so is diabetes and hypertension! I have personally seen obesity get the sh!t beat out of it by cross fit workouts. Dieting also plays a big part in the cross fit community. What I would pay to workout in a Rich Froning gym! You already know the programming is legit! I truly believe, i have taken my hunting to the next level because of cross fit.

Good luck