Sawtooth or 6 man tipi

whitingja

WKR
So I think I narrowed it down to a Sawtooth or a 6 man tipi. I will be hunting with someone 75% of the time, but may venture out on my own occasionally. I think I will use a different shelter when alone. Does anyone have any opinions about either of these. Thanks.

Shrek

WKR
Sawtooth. Awesome for one or two and can work for three. I'm 6'4" and can stand to dress in the morning by the pole. It's an absolute palace for under 5lbs.

OP
W

whitingja

WKR
Ok, well Sawtooth appears to be the favorite. So Seek Outside has a 6 man tipi at 5lbs, so fairly close in weight. What is the advantage of the sawtooth over the tipi? Or is it really the weight? Is stability as good? It seems like the round shape of a tipi would be better in wind and snow. Am I wrong? Thanks for the info guys!

Shrek

WKR
One other reason for the Sawtooth is that it has a smaller footprint so it's easier to find campsites. It can be challenging enough with a Sawtooth and a couple more feet in width would make it exponentially harder.

The tipis are pretty sweet thou. For shedding wind. I just camped in the desert and encountered some strong strong winds.

The ideal set up is a sawtooth and a tipi. Say an 8 man or 12 man tipi.

Lawnboi

WKR
How many of you saying sawtooth have actually used both? I only ask because I debated the same thing when I got my 6 man and I'm still not sure I made the right choice, though the 6man is a sweet shelter.

And to be honest the only thing that made me buy the tipi was a hair bigger foot print, 2 doors and the fact that they just look bad ass.

Shrek

WKR
I haven't tried a 6 man tipi but with two huge guys there is still plenty of room in a Sawtooth so I can't think of a big advantage of a six man tipi for the described use. If you have 3 or more going then move way up to an 8 or 12 and distribute the weight around. I can't imagine what type of weather you would have to plan on dealing with that a six man's supposed advantage would come into play because I'd take my Sawtooth expecting 50mph winds and feel confident as long as I had a spot the pegs would hold. The Sawtooth really slips wind well. Whitingja , maybe you could find someone with a Sawtooth who would set it up and let you check it out. I'm pretty sure that once you step into one and toss your sleeping bag down to give you a reference you will be clear as to what you want. I think a six man is 4 feet wider and a foot longer if I remember correctly. As big as my Sawtooth is I can't imagine the six man for two guys.

ChrisS

WKR
I'm in the same situation and I'm 90% sure I'm getting a sawtooth. My buddy and I hunt the Adirondacks and are lucky enough to be able to get deep into the back country by either canoe or boot leather. Because of the canoe, I did think about just getting a big 8- or 12-man, but I wanted something that was solo packable if I wanted to do something on my own. For people not familiar with the 'dacks, it's basically a deciduous rain forest. There's a lot of rocks, trees, and water. A clear space in Adirondacks large enough for a big tipi are few and far between and is probably a beaver swamp anyway. The slimmer footprint of the sawtooth makes me think I can find a few more camping spots with it.

After spending a ton of time on this I think the sawtooth meets my needs for solo shelter large enough for 2 with gear and a stove. My only remaining decision is whether to get a liner and what stove to get.

Shrek, you've got the medium 12" tall oval, right? Can you get bigger split wood in there? The one thing we have in the 'dacks is plenty of seasoned firewood from deadfall and we plan to cut a bunch during summer scouting.

johnnylaw

Lil-Rokslider
im glad this thread popped up as I have been comparing the sawtooth to several other shelters and havnt been able to find any reason not to go with the sawtooth. this thread is swaying me to pull the trigger.

Shrek

WKR
Fly Rodder , I have a SS medium box stove currently but I'm going to the medium ti oval with a 12" high wall to save the weight. One great thing you will enjoy is the hardwoods should burn longer and hotter than the stuff I'm burning when I head to Montana. I can only dream of stuffing the stove full of some Black Locust.

Lawnboi

WKR
The high wall medium oval has a fairly small door, my only real complaint about the stove. It seems smaller than a medium box stove door by a little bit. However the door is a little higher up on the oval so you can fit more wood in there without blocking the door with burning wood or ash.