Boot Month: Breaking-in the Tech-Lite Hunters

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Hey Roksliders. As these boots have got a lot of attention on the 'Slide this last year, I bought a pair and put them through their paces last summer and fall. Always one to "try first, follow instructions later" I thought I may save you some time and pain by sharing my break-in process on the Tech-Lites

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-05-09-42/footwear/313-lathrop-sons-tech-lite-hunter-boot

Also, Lathrop & Sons is showing Rokslide members the money by refunding the purchase price on any pair of their boots purchased between January 16th and February 16th. You must call in and order a boot/footbed combination in that time-frame to be entered. You need to provide your Rokslide user name and let the folks at Lathrop & Son’s know you are participating in the Rokslide promotion when buying. Stephen will throw all the names in a hat, draw one, and that lucky hunter will get his full purchase price refunded. Odds are dependent on total sales, but should be good!
http://www.lathropandsons.com/ 1-618-544-8782

Thanks L&S!

Last edited:

stinky

FNG
Robby, you mentioned that you have wider feet. I've used a pair of Lowa Zephyr before and found my pinky toes bruised after a day of side hilling. You have any issues with this and any suggestions to avoid the problem? Thanks.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
stinky,
my foot is widest at the forefoot then tapers towards the toes, so any pressure I get is behind the toes, so no problem where you've having it.

This is what I suggest. Try to buy boots in-person or from a company that has a good return policy (like two weeks plus) and wear them in the house (understandably companies are not going to let you return a muddy boot) as much as possible before deciding to keep.
And like Matt said in the other review, for some people, going with the custom fit service at Lathrop will save you money in the long run as you'll have the right boots first time instead of three pair that almost fit. Once they have your foot measurements, they can fit you with what will work, not just what is popular.

Mike21

FNG
Robbie, did you use the lace tabs on the side of the boot? The ones immediately after the ball bearings? I started out using them and had some issues with the tendons in the top of my foot. Once I bypassed them my foot felt much better. However I never went back to the tabs but plan to try again and see If a year of hunting/scouting has changed anything.

I broke in a set of tech lites last year and was just about ready to give up on them until I hit the 30 mile mark. I used the blue SOLE foot beds about 15 miles in they started making a difference. This is my first pair of high end boots and I learned a lot in the process of deciding what boot to buy. Maybe I am just cheap but it seems like for $400 some of these boot company's would include a decent foot bed. Either way I love the boots now and agree 100% on at least a 30 mile break in.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Mike21,

Yes, I did use the lace lock tabs just above the ball bearings. At first, they seemed to tight but then I noticed you just flip them out to release. Once I understood that, I really liked them as I can set the boot tension when I lace and only have to re-lace the tops when I put them on.

I'd agree on foot beds but I'm noticing they seem to be as personal as boots are as some guys have great luck initially and others have to change them out for a more expensive pair. I can say that if my Tech-Lites last at least a year longer than the other boots I've been wearing then the cost was justified as I really like them and my Danner's etc were usually shot after two seasons. Keep us posted