Kifaru Late Season

I like the look of this pack, I see in the specs it is rated for 70 plus lbs. I understand that what packs are rated for and what is comfortable are usually two different things. Anyone pack weight in this pack? How does it hold up at 70lbs? If I were to put a boned out deer inside would it sag right to the bottom or do the compression straps work pretty good at keeping things in place? Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks, 1hornhunter

Chad R

FNG
The load carrying capability of the late season is mainly related to the stay height and volume of the pack. For someone with a short torso length the late season stay height of 22-24 inches may be adequate for heavy loads. However, the pack volume is pretty small for going much over 70 pounds. It can be done by filling with meat, but any overnight camping gear would have to be strapped on the outside, likely moving the center of gravity further away from your back. I have a G2 late season and really like it for day use with an occasional short overnighter. I use a larger pack for overnight hunting trips.

In terms of just packing deer meat, a large deer will likely fill most of the pack. You will be best served using a Kifaru meat bag to help keep the meat oriented vertically in the center of the pack.

OP
Great, thanks. I was just looking for a day pack with the capability of returning to the truck with meat if I were to get something. Not too concerned with overnight capacity. Don't want to spend the money and not have something capable of shoving a bag of boned out meat or small quarter.

RMMHunter

FNG
I used a Late Season with 24" stays this past deer season, doing day hunts only, not overnight hunts. I added 2-500 light long pockets, 2 small belt pouches to the belt, a grab it, and 1 large belt pouch to the lid. I packed out 4 deboned whitetails along with hunting gear and the pack performed great. To keep the meat riding high in the pack I put bulky clothes in the bottom of the pack with deboned meat in a contractor bag on top of the clothes. Gear that wouldn't fit in the pack was put in a compression sack and secured with a grab it. My loaded pack weights ranged from 55-75 lbs depending on the size of the deer and the amount of gear I had that particular day. I carried the loaded pack over varied terrain, traveling back to my truck for 1-2 miles comfortably and without any issues. If you have any additional questions about the Late Season pack that you think I can help you with let me know.

LegShot

FNG
Buy a duplex frame and be done with it. You can get different bags from Kifaru that will satisfy your day/multiple day uses.

I've been routinely training with 50# in my late season with 24" & recently 21" (custom cut carbon arrow shafts) stays and it carries well. Obviously the 24" stays help keep the weight off my shoulders better but the 21" stays haven't been unbearable. I like the option to run taller stays when I know I need the extra lift and switching the 21's in for daily workouts or travel. The belt makes the biggest difference. It's simply amazing. Haven't tried 75+ lbs in it yet but have no fear it wouldn't feel ok.

I have no reservations saying the late season is a great day pack that has capabilities of carrying heavy when needed.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
You can carry 70# in there no problem, you can synch the lower compression straps and keep the load up high. It can barrel a little bit if you really stuff the pack. I really like the versatility of the late season for travel, hunting,hiking.