Finally ....it hit me

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
So I was on a long journey of being a tightwad and not wanting to spend the money needed to get great equipment. Well I got everything together after some time I now own a pair of Vortex Razor 12x50 binos mounted on an Slik 634CF tripod with an Outdoorsmans pistol grip with the panning attachment. I took it out today for a test spin and WOW. I feel like an idiot having wasted so much money and time trying to find lesser expensive equipment that will work and do the job. I've glassed this same area for a long time and knew it really well but I honestly feel like today is the first time I've actually seen it while glassing. I truly consider this a lesson learned.

boom

WKR
i learned my (same lesson) in a different fashion. i was carrying some Pentax glass. day before deer opener in the Trinity forest. we saw a big deer on a hill and literally ran down the mountain we were on, across the valley and did the slow arduous climb up the adjacent mountain from the big deer. we get to the top and it was dimly lit. sun was going down, and we were in the shade.. i started to glass and i found nothing. my friend right next to me says.."i see him!" even with him directing me, i couldnt find him. he unsnapped his Swavo's handed them to me..and BAM! i found the deer.

he said something like..sucks to spend so much energy to get to a good spot and NOT see a deer. i went home after that hunt and started shopping. i bought my own "last pair" of binos.

(shhhhh..i still want some Swarvo's to compare, but i would have to wait until my wife..well, that wont happen)

Craig4791

WKR
Yep I would hunt in blue jeans and a flannel before I cut costs on optics ever again!

jm1607

WKR
The light gathering difference between cheap and good optics is night and day.. there's no going back

"only a rich man can afford cheap optics", that is what i was told when i kept buying the new latest and greatest cheap optics every year or so. yup i learned the hard way, buy once cry once.

WKR
I'm glad I listened to you guys on this. Started with Maven B1's. It's awfully hard to spend a big chunk of cash like that but this thread further confirms my choice. Now, if other gear was so straight forward I'd be set.

WRO

WKR
Great optics have completly changed how I hunt. I wish I could get back the 5k I spent getting to great optics on lesser optics..

Shrek

WKR
Most people who say Alpha glass is over rated have never actually used alpha glass. I'll tell anyone that if you really can't afford great glass then never use it because what has been seen cannot be unseen. It's not just what it allows you to see but how much easier on your eyes it is while you see what you couldn't before. Your eyes can adapt and see though lessor glass but the strain takes a toll. If your binoculars give you a headache if you use them for hours you need better glass.

neverquit

WKR
I normally give a lengthy warning before letting people look thru my 12x50 El's mounted on a tripod. It can't be unseen.

I agree there. I didn't go full bore on the EL but I did buy the SLC and my god what a difference between my bushnell monocular and them. I have since splurged on upgrading every piece of my gear to the ultimate piece. Lesson learned on all gear.