Gila Wilderness Archery

InPursuit

FNG
First of all, THANK YOU THANK YOU to the draw gods for the 16B tag... Getting right into it.

For you guys that have hunted it, and i'll be in deep more than likely on a drop camp, is it possible or realistic to stay more than 10 days? If not, if you had the first season, 1-15th, would you go on the opener and stay as long as you could, maybe hunt some water holes/wallows early or spot and stalk a bull, or wait until about the 5th then go in? Pro's and con's?

Thanks!

In 2012 I had the first hunt (1-10) a first time bowhunter became a first day elk killer on Sept 1 on a 370 bull. I killed this little guy on Sept 9 and blew multiple encounters leading up to it on bulls that made him look small.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347412102.390547.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347412102.390547.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 343

Dan-o

FNG
I drew the second season in 16a. I'm thinking of going for the entire season. Hell, I'm ready to quit my job and go out there now just so I can be that much closer when the season opens! Good luck to you and I look forward to following your thread to see what advice you get!

I'm not hunting the Gila but unit 12. I'm going early ( 4th) to hunt the holes and hope to get into a big one before they cow up. Good luck

jfive613

FNG
With first season archery in New Mexico, scouting is key. The bulls won't usually leave where they were at all summer until the middle of the month. Get a ton of boot hours on the ground and run cameras, and you can usually be on bachelor groups within the first few days. They won't be hard to find pre rut if you know their summer patterns.

OP
InPursuit

InPursuit

FNG
Trophyhill, that's some damn good beginners luck. Great bull congrats!... Jfive, I'lll be doing a drop camp. My research has told me that the bulls are up high in Aug and during the first week or so of Sept they move down with the cows, somewhere around 8k feet.... If you had the first season, would you be looking to sit tree stands on wallows on the opener or move in around the 6th to catch the bulls looking for cows. I know the tree stand over wallows has a lot to do with how much water is on the ground so it's hard to answer depending on the year.

Don't kid yourself regarding elevation and when bulls get "all cowed up". On Sept 4 I blew it on a very big bull that had 30-40 cows with him. I was close enough to kill him but didn't have a shot. Then I heard the sound you don't want to hear in the elkwoods. As soon as the cow barked, the gig was up. This was at around 8000 ft. The general elevation I hunted the entire 9 days and was into elk every day.

OP
InPursuit

InPursuit

FNG
Don't kid yourself regarding elevation and when bulls get "all cowed up". On Sept 4 I blew it on a very big bull that had 30-40 cows with him. I was close enough to kill him but didn't have a shot. Then I heard the sound you don't want to hear in the elkwoods. As soon as the cow barked, the gig was up. This was at around 8000 ft. The general elevation I hunted the entire 9 days and was into elk every day.

Trophyhill, i'm not saying there's a must follow rule of thumb, i'm just talking about generalities. What I was asking for is advice on is early 1st archery season strategies that pay dividends and if that strategy changes as you get closer to the 15th...

I hear ya InPursuit. Didn't mean to sound smug ;) I was able to get some bulls worked up early but they really didn't start talking on their own until the 8th other than those "lazy bugles". When you hear that you've found their bedroom. ;) then timing is everything. They did respond quite nicely to calls early morning and late evening.

SDHNTR

WKR
Fun hunt, I'd give a nut for another Gila Wilderness tag. Make sure you have a packer on speed dial or at least several dumb and strong buddies ready to pack out meat. It's not cool enough at night to let it hang long and you'll need to get it out ASAP. Sorry I'm not much help with the early season as I had the 3rd archery season two years ago. See if you can look up a fella by the name of Tommy Maldonado, he used to do a scouting and map service for the Gila that I found very helpful. Hopefully he is still around and offering scouting packages.

Fun hunt, I'd give a nut for another Gila Wilderness tag. Make sure you have a packer on speed dial or at least several dumb and strong buddies ready to pack out meat. It's not cool enough at night to let it hang long and you'll need to get it out ASAP. Sorry I'm not much help with the early season as I had the 3rd archery season two years ago. See if you can look up a fella by the name of Tommy Maldonado, he used to do a scouting and map service for the Gila that I found very helpful. Hopefully he is still around and offering scouting packages.

Tommy is still doing his thing. I hit him up on FB the other day.

Dan-o

FNG

Anyone know of any packers that I can work with now to get them on speed dial for when I need them in September?

Or should I check the bulletin boards in town?

JPD350

WKR
I may be wrong but having a packer on call isn't a sure thing, they only have so many animals and if you are down on the list when you call you may never see one, maybe have more than one on call would help. Don't forget that phone service is hard to come by!! best plan on packing it out on your own, JK

OP
InPursuit

InPursuit

FNG
I've done some networking and enjoy doing my own homework, especially on this one and I think I will be in good shape without paying for a "scouting package". I'm just thinking hard on the dates. Should I go in before the opener and stay 10 days, or wait until about the 4th then go in for 10... I have some wallows picked out with some help of some other hunters and am perfectly okay with sitting a tree stand for a couple days if it's hot. If it's real wet, the opener could be slow. Ah hell! it's all good it's a gila tag so if it's slow, it's still better than alot of elk hunts.... I have a packer on call for meat extraction via sat phone...

jfive613

FNG
We've had wet September's lately so good chance you get rain a day or two. If you go in for the beginning of the hunt, finding a nice seepy canyon and hanging a stand or brushing in isn't a bad idea. But be ready to change directions on the fly, it's elk hunting after all. I had a friend who called in a nice bull in 15 on the 4th last year, so some bulls will be ready to go. Nice thing about this year, is the gila went to two seasons like a good amount of the state already was. Action should be good towards the end of the season.

I haven't done much hunting in the Gila as I normally hunt the Lincoln so I'm giving you advice based on that. Also, I don't consider myself an expert by any means so take out of what I've said however you want. I do have friends (with horses) who hunt 16b a lot. They've pulled some nice bulls. 16b is definitely on my hit list, someday I will have to hunt it. Hope your hunt goes well and enjoy the great country. It is spectacular.

OP
InPursuit

InPursuit

FNG
Jfive - Thank you. I think the hunt is going to be outstanding. An exceptional tag for a western elk hunt to have with my dad. This could be a dream season with a Missouri breaks tag to back it up....

I am a big fan of the two seasons. I hunted the 3rd archery last year in 13 and it was not enough time. That's been one of the biggest challenges with NM in the past for NR is the short seasons.

The Gila and Eastern AZ have been getting a little rain over the last few weeks. Really unusual to get rain this time of the year. Should green up nicely and grow some big antlers on those bulls.

Mike

diesel7

Banned
I'll be in there, 16b for the second bow hunt, I'll be in on horses though, 3rd time I have ever drawn a tag, though I usually put in for 15. Looking forward to packing in.