Those with more than one dog

IdahoElk

WKR
I've always had one hunting dog, my current dog is 4yrs old and I was thinking of getting another, those with more than one bird dog can you tell me the pro's and con's.
I've been on the fence for the last couple years about getting another mainly due to sharing my attention between two dogs, what do you guys think?

tops911

FNG
I like having 2 dogs. The first time I got a pup when my older dog was 9 years old. The next time I got a pup when my old dog was 7 years old. I run two dogs because we run into big predators (bears & lions) and raccoons and it's nice to have backup if needed. I would run the puppy with the older dog one hunt then hunt the pup solo when the pup was young. I think it helps the pup develop independence. I hunt them together almost all the time now. Now my old dog is 11 and the young dog is 4 and they work as a team exceptionally well. It's enjoyable to watch them working at a team on running birds. It's also nice that the older dog works a little closer and slower while the young dog is working out farther.
As for cons, I guess picking up more dog poop is one, LOL

KurtR

WKR
I have a four year old lab I will get another when he is 5 so I have an up and comer while he is in his prime. We run tests all summer. Dogs are my priority now and what I enjoy doing more than anything else so I dedicate a lot of time to them. I had two labs before and hunted them both and they got along great . Wish I would have known about hunt tests back then it would have gave them even more to do in the summer. I don’t see a down side unless you just don’t have the time to dedicate to them.

lhbackcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I've always had one hunting dog, my current dog is 4yrs old and I was thinking of getting another, those with more than one bird dog can you tell me the pro's and con's.
I've been on the fence for the last couple years about getting another mainly due to sharing my attention between two dogs, what do you guys think?
Twice the dog food, twice the obedience work, twice the mess, twice the shit, twice the time training, and even more in the field.

Seeing both work and run doubles is priceless.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.jpeg
    IMG_1903.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 52

TSAMP

WKR

I have my second one coming in a month. I think my biggest issue was the logistics of hauling 2 and if the new one would cramp our style. Opportunity came and the timing looked good to get a pup now and have him old enough to keep up for this upcoming season.

jmez

WKR
For the first year or so I prefer to run the separate. I have two GSP's. My puppy doesn't do well with the older dog. She simy wants to chase and play with him. She's far more worried about where he is and what he's doing than hunting.

When she's by herself she hunts hard and finds birds. Completely different dog.

Also depends on the type of dog. My older dog is broke. The puppy is not!! Depending on how you train this can be a problem. I break my dogs to wing. I flush the bird, not them. Once pointed they stay until I release them or flush a bird. It is a lot of pressure on an older dog if a puppy runs in front of their point and flushed the bird.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
Three here. 4, 7, and 13. They get along great, although the youngest one does get kind of jealous when another one is getting attention. Having them separated in age seems to help with maintaining the bond between you and the dog and less of a bond between the dogs. It’s definitely more work training with multiple, although it does make training more interesting because you can be running the second (or third) dog when the others are getting a break.

IMG_2389.jpeg

kpk

WKR
Do those of you with 2 or more like to stick with the same breed? We recently got another lab but I've thought of adding a GSP or wirehaired griff. Primarily hunting pheasant and grouse with occasional waterfowl.

KurtR

WKR
Do those of you with 2 or more like to stick with the same breed? We recently got another lab but I've thought of adding a GSP or wirehaired griff. Primarily hunting pheasant and grouse with occasional waterfowl.
I know people who do that but you have to be good at training two completely different kinds of dogs to make it really work. How you train the lab isnt going to work on a griff and vise versa.

My dogs are long dead, but I suppose my experience is still relevant.

I hunted upland birds so I selected for a breed that was efficient and competitive doing that. I had two English setters of slightly different breedings. I got the second 15 months after the first, so they were both certainly green at the same time for a bit. I just took them hunting a lot and put them on wild birds and they got things sorted pretty well, and both ended up being fine bird dogs, with one being quite exceptional (nothing I did--he was just born that way).

Two dogs, to me, are better because you can nearly double your productivity for your gallon of gas. One dog can only do so much. I preferred to run each dog around 2 to 3 hours a day, at most. So only having one would have been quite limiting. Most times we'd team up with a buddy and his dogs and 2 dudes and 4 setters were able to hunt for a weekend quite effectively. On a longer trip 6 or more dogs would be ideal so you could give rest days here and there.

There are other efficiencies. For example, it takes the same amount of time to take two dogs to the vet as one. Same time for a walk or a run. Sure, ear scratches are divvied up but really they are just doubled.

The largest benefit is those dogs will be each other's brothers. They are company when I'm at work or otherwise gone. They would play and wrestle and tussle with each other. I don't recall a single fight between them. They were great to each other.

Once my kids are a bit older I expect to have another brace of white dogs. Once I'm retired maybe more than two.

0ab287ec9bf8bbf24e57f6a268bd1347.jpg

Those were the days!!

I only have one right now, but had two for several years. Downsides were similar to what others mentioned as well as it was a little harder to leave town and get someone to watch them or to bring them along.

I really liked how having two it made it easier to train the younger one to be patient and wait her turn to fetch a dummy/bird. Also nice to have a backup for when one gets injured.

IdahoFF

FNG
For me, 2 dogs is a minimum. As others have mentioned it takes time and money to get out to the places we like to hunt so in order to maximize it you need more than one. I had 4 at one time of varying ages. I think the best advice would be to have 2yrs between them. As the 2yr old is getting it figured out, the pup can then be started, and repeat. Having two also allows rest and recovery for Dog #1. Two good dogs down in the field sure is fun to watch especially when they honor each other.

When I had a litter of pups the plan was to keep a female but as fate would have it, my wife fell in love with a male so we kept two. That took a l out of time and effort training two pups so i dont recommend that. Plus they get old together and the enevitable could happen close together, which is never easy.

I usually give the young dog the first hunt of the day then the older dogs next until the pup has manners enough to hunt with the veterans. Keeping two dogs isn't much more work then one, but keeping 4 is. Especially if they are all pointers lol

Hope that helps

Attachments

• 20211110_181726.jpg
    20211110_181726.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211113_110954_05.jpg
    20211113_110954_05.jpg
    769.4 KB · Views: 31
I have a four year old lab I will get another when he is 5 so I have an up and comer while he is in his prime. We run tests all summer. Dogs are my priority now and what I enjoy doing more than anything else so I dedicate a lot of time to them. I had two labs before and hunted them both and they got along great . Wish I would have known about hunt tests back then it would have gave them even more to do in the summer. I don’t see a down side unless you just don’t have the time to dedicate to them.
I am the same...always had at least 2 labs since 1989.
Right now I have a 1-year old and an 8-year old.
I hunt the 1-year old 4 mornings a week and the 8-year old 1-2 mornings a week,
starting in Sept thru mid January (retired and living the dream).
I also run hunt tests/field trials and enjoy training once hunting season is over.

Austink47

WKR
For me it is kind of a sentimental thing. We might go for a few years with only one dog, then get a pup when the old dog has things figured out and can help you train them. It also seems to keep the old dog going a lot longer. I see traits of the old dog rub off on the new pup, it kind of becomes a non biological lineage. I like having that living connection to dogs that are long gone.

jmez

WKR
This will be hard on a pointing dog. Every time he points the lad comes in and flushes the bird he's going to want to start breaking when the lab comes in. Depends on how broke you want the pointer. I'll hunt my GSP's with labs. I wouldn't own both and hunt them together all the time.

kpk

WKR
This will be hard on a pointing dog. Every time he points the lad comes in and flushes the bird he's going to want to start breaking when the lab comes in. Depends on how broke you want the pointer. I'll hunt my GSP's with labs. I wouldn't own both and hunt them together all the time.

I’ve considered this. A friend had a lab flush a bird his GSP was pointing and he said his dog was never the same after. I’d like both but it would be tough.