Glock G20 or G40 MOS?

I've been in the market for a 10mm, but haven't "needed" one bad enough just yet. I always planned to get a G20 SF, but with the release of the G40 MOS with the 6" barrel last year I'm considering it instead. Weight is the same, just longer barrel and sight picture and whatever added velocity would come from the extra 2" of barrel over the G20. Anyone carrying the G40 in the backcountry? This would be my sidearm in the backcountry when in areas of grizzly concern during archery seasons. Thanks for your input!

From what I've read, there's not much of a velocity increase in a G40 over the G20. However I would go with the 40 for its factory sight mounting options.

OP
dangerousD
From what I've read, there's not much of a velocity increase in a G40 over the G20. However I would go with the 40 for its factory sight mounting options.
I read an article on that. The one I read didn't have direct side by side chrono readings, but suggested there wasn't must increase. For same reason as you, I like the G40 for sight options if desired. Only downside I see is the added length when carrying in the backcountry, but maybe that's not an issue.

Have you ever looked at the 460 Rowland conversions?
http://bearingarms.com/1911-hand-cannon-460-rowland-conversion/
Just throwing another option out there.
I have heard about that but never really considered it. Interesting conversion though! I'm still leaning towards an off the shelf Glock and the added round count. In spite of feeling fairly competent with a pistol and having taken defensive hand gun classes at Front Site, I realize that if I shoot 8 rounds at a bear and it's not dead, then it's probably on top of me at that point and those other 8 in a Glock may not be of any use... But those extra rounds still make me feel better... haha

Thanks for the feedback!

HOT ROD

WKR
I to was looking at the g40. It seams like they don't make many holsters for it. At least at this moment...

OP
dangerousD
I to was looking at the g40. It seams like they don't make many holsters for it. At least at this moment...

That's something I had not looked into. Being a newer model and somewhat hard to find at gun stores I imagine it will take a bit for holster makers to catch up. That said, a G20 holster should work but you would just have the barrel sticking out the bottom I guess.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Weight is the same, just longer barrel and sight picture and whatever added velocity would come from the extra 2" of barrel over the G20. Anyone carrying the G40 in the backcountry?

I had a Gen 3 G20. When the G40 MOS came out, I sold the G20 and got a G40 and an RMR sight. The G40 is definitely heavier than the Gen 3 G20, but it's not that noticeable. My backcountry load is a 200grn Beartooth hardcast bullet running pretty hot. In the G20 it was about 1200 fps, and in the G40, it's about 1300 fps, so about a 100fps gain, which is not insignificant. As for holsters, the G40 fits in the leather OWB holster that I bought for the G20, even with the RMR sight on it. The sight is above the holster, and the slide sticks through the bottom of the holster.

Hope that helps,
Scott

OP
dangerousD
I had a Gen 3 G20. When the G40 MOS came out, I sold the G20 and got a G40 and an RMR sight. The G40 is definitely heavier than the Gen 3 G20, but it's not that noticeable. My backcountry load is a 200grn Beartooth hardcast bullet running pretty hot. In the G20 it was about 1200 fps, and in the G40, it's about 1300 fps, so about a 100fps gain, which is not insignificant. As for holsters, the G40 fits in the leather OWB holster that I bought for the G20, even with the RMR sight on it. The sight is above the holster, and the slide sticks through the bottom of the holster.

Hope that helps,
Scott

That's good info. I saw that the Glock website listed the gen 4 G40 as lighter than the gen 4 G20 in the unloaded specs but showed it slightly heavier when loaded. Couldn't quite figure that one out. Must have used 180 gn in one and 220 in the other. LOL. I would go with gen 4 in whichever model I choose but leaning towards the G40.

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 20SF and searched and searched for a 6" slide so I could update mine. About the time the slide came in the mail they announced the 40 :mad: Other projects got in the way but soon the 20 will be replaced by a 40. Holster length isn't a concern for me as they both fit in a HPG Kit Bag.

kodiakfly

WKR
If you're looking for the sights, go for the 40. I have a 20 and a 29 and carry each of them hunting, actually carrying the 29 more often because of it's size. A big Glock like the 20 or 40 is a hunk of metal to lug around. The 29 is nice and most guys don't think of it first for a woods/bear gun. But I can easily slide it in a pocket or belt pouch if I need to, and if fits in 20 holsters. Another option is a 6" bbl in a 20 if you're looking for that extra length. But there is something to be said as to why you see Ruger SRH Alaskan models and Smith guns for bear with short, little barrels. There's something to be said for not having to clear 5-6" of metal from your holster to get a shot off at close range...another reason why I carry the 29 so often.

And for me, I'd not want to worry about an optic on my bear gun. Rain, dirt, tree bark, dust laying on the lens...nah. Don't have that problem with iron sights.

OP
dangerousD
If you're looking for the sights, go for the 40. I have a 20 and a 29 and carry each of them hunting, actually carrying the 29 more often because of it's size. A big Glock like the 20 or 40 is a hunk of metal to lug around. The 29 is nice and most guys don't think of it first for a woods/bear gun. But I can easily slide it in a pocket or belt pouch if I need to, and if fits in 20 holsters. Another option is a 6" bbl in a 20 if you're looking for that extra length. But there is something to be said as to why you see Ruger SRH Alaskan models and Smith guns for bear with short, little barrels. There's something to be said for not having to clear 5-6" of metal from your holster to get a shot off at close range...another reason why I carry the 29 so often.

And for me, I'd not want to worry about an optic on my bear gun. Rain, dirt, tree bark, dust laying on the lens...nah. Don't have that problem with iron sights.

Some good points. The G29 certainly makes a lot of sense for the ease of a quick access. Maybe I just need more than one! Thanks.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
If you're looking for the sights, go for the 40. I have a 20 and a 29 and carry each of them hunting, actually carrying the 29 more often because of it's size. A big Glock like the 20 or 40 is a hunk of metal to lug around. The 29 is nice and most guys don't think of it first for a woods/bear gun. But I can easily slide it in a pocket or belt pouch if I need to, and if fits in 20 holsters. Another option is a 6" bbl in a 20 if you're looking for that extra length.

I found the 20 takes practice and a full grip to shoot accurately with hot 200grn loads, and I don't think I could shoot the 29 accurately due to the reduced grip and barrel length (which increases the tendency to rise).

But there is something to be said as to why you see Ruger SRH Alaskan models and Smith guns for bear with short, little barrels. There's something to be said for not having to clear 5-6" of metal from your holster to get a shot off at close range...another reason why I carry the 29 so often.

I think the main reason guys carry the short-barreled revolvers is weight. The SRH is a pig compared to the G40. With a 6" barrel, the revolvers are super pigs! That said, I actually have an SRH Alaskan in 44mag on my shopping list. I've realized that I only carry a handgun when I don't have a rifle, so replacing a 7 pound rifle with a 3 pound handgun isn't a bad trade, and a 44 mag revolver seems a better option than the Glock 40 when staring down a pissed-off mama bear!

I worry about an optic on a bear-protection gun, too. That's why I have co-witness tritium sights by Dawson Precision. Belts and suspenders, baby!

Also, another note I forgot to add earlier about my experience. When load testing for the 20, I discovered that the Beartooth hardcast bullets do lead the barrel up. I'm a firm believer in leaving protection guns as stock as possible, so I didn't want an aftermarket barrel in mine. Rather, I did some testing to determine the number of rounds I could fire before I started to see pressure signs that I was uncomfortable with. For this reason, when I carry a Glock 10mm with hardcast bullets loaded hot, I limit myself to 10 rounds in the gun. I'm confident from my testing that I can fire all ten rounds without a kaboom. Using an aftermarket barrel may be a better solution for you, but I like the reliability of a stock Glock. It's a personal decision you have to make.

Regards,
Scott

kodiakfly

WKR
I found the 20 takes practice and a full grip to shoot accurately with hot 200grn loads, and I don't think I could shoot the 29 accurately due to the reduced grip and barrel length (which increases the tendency to rise).

I think the main reason guys carry the short-barreled revolvers is weight. The SRH is a pig compared to the G40. With a 6" barrel, the revolvers are super pigs! That said, I actually have an SRH Alaskan in 44mag on my shopping list. I've realized that I only carry a handgun when I don't have a rifle, so replacing a 7 pound rifle with a 3 pound handgun isn't a bad trade, and a 44 mag revolver seems a better option than the Glock 40 when staring down a pissed-off mama bear!

Muzzle rise is an issue on a round like this on a bbl that short. I have all of my 10mms Mag-Na-Ported an it does tame the gun and is very noticeable the bigger the round and the shorter the bbl/lighter the gun. Porting a 9mm 1911...maybe not so much. A 10mm short Glock...absolutely.

As for bbl length, I could see weight being an issue. But I still think the short bbls are a feature of "bear" guns due to packing and speed of deployment. There's other LW guns out there I see being sold, but only the "bear" guns have the short bbls. And I guess I see it like that because it'd appeal to me. I don't own one of them, but if I bought a SRH Alaskan for bears it would be for it's dimensions. My SRH is a 7.5, but I bought it almost 20 years ago wanting to hunt with it and never got around to it. Never have carried it for bear and the reason is the bbl on it making the gun too big to want to carry all day while fishing or bowhunting.

husky390

WKR
I "built" my Gen 4 G20 before Glock came out with the G40 unfortunately. But, since mine's already done, I can't justify spending $750 to shave a few ounces. I'd rather by a G29.

My G20 has a 6" KKM stainless barrel, Meprolight adjustable night sights and an extended slide release. I left the trigger alone as I don't like modded Glock triggers (my personal preference). The Glock is carried in a HPG Kit Bag equipped with a trigger guard holster along with other essential items and I don't notice it's there. Fast to draw as well.

I have a SRH Alaskan 454 and a S&W 329PD and they have become novelty guns for me now as the Glock is my "go to" handgun. The Alaskan would be my last choice due to its weight alone. Fun to shoot though. I'm confident that BB 180gr JHP or BB 220gr Hardcast will take care of anything that wants to harm me in CO. YMMV.

One last note; My G20 has had some teething issues with the BB 220gr Hardcast. Usually the slide would lock open with one round left in the mag. Then last November I was shooting it with that ammo and it turned into a one shot wonder. Gun could have been dirty or I oiled it too much and since it was cold, it slowed the slide down. I haven't shot it with that ammo again to narrow down the problem since the 180's are shooting well.

Last edited:

husky390

WKR
Here's what I've chronographed out of my Glock.

f5edc32b258e39f1acf5464f226d5f61.jpg

7725da7fbf696fdc1cbba19db7725558.jpg

View attachment 34780

I have a Gen 3 SF and this Gen 4 that I just picked up this winter. Was intent on purchasing a G40 but when I physically held one and saw the length of the slide I bought the Gen 4 and slipped a Lone Wolf 5.5" 2 port barrel in it. The ports definitely help with muzzle jump and recoil!!! I also use the same KTC kydex molle holster on MR pack. I don't even realize it's there.