SilnecerCo Harvester EVO - A word of caution

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
Capitol Armory currently has a sale on The SilencerCo Harvester EVO for $499. That is a good deal but it has been discontinued and there are a few other items you should know about if you are considering buying one.

I purchased a Harvester EVO in September, 2023 from Capitol Armory for two purposes. First, for a lightweight suppressor on the backcountry hunting rifle I am building, and second, as a suppressor for my 10.5” AR pistol in 5.56 for home defense. I purchased the EVO partially out of brand loyalty. I have a SilencerCo Sparrow that I have been very pleased with. However, my decision was primarily based on the 10.8 ounce advertised weight and the barrel restriction of 10” for .223/5.56 listed in the EVO owner’s manual that I downloaded two days before I purchased the suppressor.

I received my suppressor this week and discovered that the 10.8 ounce advertised weight is for an incomplete suppressor that is unable to be mounted to a firearm. To actually use the suppressor, one needs to use a thread adapter or muzzle device. The thread adapters required to direct thread it to a rifle weigh another approximately 2 ounces.

I also learned that they must have revised their barrel restrictions, and the EVO is now listed as having a 16” inch barrel limit for 5.56, despite the actual owner’s manual included with my suppressor still listing a 10” barrel restriction.

Had I known at the time of purchase that the EVO is actually two ounces heavier than advertised and would not work with my 10.5” AR pistol, I would have purchased another suppressor that would better fit my needs. The fact that it has been discontinued after a short time in the market and reports of catastrophic failures of EVOs both within and outside of their recall window are also sources of concern.

I emailed SilencerCo about my displeasure and they wrote back to say sorry but the 10” barrel restriction was just a typo and, “The weight is just for the silencer itself, and mounts will increase the weight, however it would still be very light weight, and you would not be able to feel 2 ounces of weight extra to the silencer.” They must not cater to backcountry hunters that keep spreadsheets about the weights of their rifle builds or elk hunting loadouts. They also said, “The silencer was discontinued simply because the silencer did not sell well enough to stay in production, and it had nothing to do with reliability, performance, or the recall.”

The purchase of the wrong suppressor is not a trivial matter, as selling a suppressor or trying to return one are extremely problematic because they are regulated NFA items. So, purchasing the wrong one based on faulty information stings even more.

I am sure the EVO will function and suppress just fine and if there is a problem, SilencerCo has a lifetime warranty that seems well regarded. I just wish they would have been more accurate (honest) with their marketing.

P.S. – I was doing some browsing on another forum with a name that rhymes with "Rong Lange Bunting" and the endless old-man thirst trap ads are non-stop. Thank you to the Rokslide moderators for keeping this site clean and usable.

TxLite

WKR
I received my suppressor this week and discovered that the 10.8 ounce advertised weight is for an incomplete suppressor that is unable to be mounted to a firearm. To actually use the suppressor, one needs to use a thread adapter or muzzle device. The thread adapters required to direct thread it to a rifle weigh another approximately 2 ounces.
I think the reason for this is because they have no idea who is going to mount a suppressor in what way, so they leave it to the end user to determine what works best for them. There are tons of options out there for mounting systems and they all have different weights.

In my opinion they should be posting weights for a couple different mounting options for clarity. No mount vs direct thread vs asr mount would be a good start.

Corruptt

FNG
I stopped by their Cedar Park location to pick up a bunch of muzzle devices and they were great, and very helpful.