Getting deals on backpacking entrees

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
It came up in another thread, and i didn't want to derail so I am posting it here. Dehydrated entrees can get pricy, and most MH, BPP, Alpine Air or Natural High entrees run between $7-$10 for a single (2 serving) pouch. I have found by watching for sales, and being prepared to jump when I find a good deal that I can usually get our entrees for around $5 per pouch, and sometimes less. Particularly when manufacturers are changing their packaging, there are incredible close out deals to be had.

For example, tonight for the heck of it I did a little looking around. REI outlet had a bunch of Natural High and Alpine Air entrees on close out because they are 2014 packaging and the company has switching for the coming year. I ordered 14 entrees for $70.22, which comes out to $5 per meal. Because we had a dividend of $15.44, I actually only ended up paying $54.78 or $3.90 per meal. Because I spent more than $50, shipping was free.

If others are interested they had a lot of other entrees on close out, including all the varieties of Natural High Enchiladas...if we hadn't bought about 20 of those at a similar price last fall I would have been all over them :) I consider anything less than $5 per entree a steal of a deal.

Some of you don't like REI, but tonight that's just where I found the best deal. I have frequently found similar deals online at campsaver.com, sierra trading post, and even on Amazon. Our local Fred Meyer store does a buy 2 get 1 free deal a few times a year as well, and that is another way I have stocked up. It pays to shop around, and jump on good deals when you find them...

Last edited:

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
How bout the #2 cans that you can get MH in and then divvy it up and re vacuum seal?

Richard

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
It came up in another thread, and i didn't want to derail so I am posting it here. Dehydrated entrees can get pricy, and most MH, BPP, Alpine Air or Natural High entrees run between $7-$10 for a single (2 serving) pouch. I have found by watching for sales, and being prepared to jump when I find a good deal that I can usually get our entrees for around $5 per pouch, and sometimes less. Particularly when manufacturers are changing their packaging, there are incredible close out deals to be had.

For example, tonight for the heck of it I did a little looking around. REI outlet had a bunch of Natural High and Alpine Air entrees on close out because they are 2014 packaging and the company has switching for the coming year. I ordered 14 entrees for $70.22, which comes out to $5 per meal. Because we had a dividend of $15.44, I actually only ended up paying $54.78 or $3.90 per meal. Because I spent more than $50, shipping was free.

If others are interested they had a lot of other entrees on close out, including all the varieties of Natural High Enchiladas...if we hadn't bought about 20 of those at a similar price last fall I would have been all over them :) I consider anything less than $5 per entree a steal of a deal.

Some of you don't like REI, but tonight that's just where I found the best deal. I have frequently found similar deals online at campsaver.com, sierra trading post, and even on Amazon. Our local Fred Meyer store does a buy 2 get 1 free deal a few times a year as well, and that is another way I have stocked up. It pays to shop around, and jump on good deals when you find them...

Thanks for the reminder on this Becca!

I just ordered 12 of the Natural High meals and my cost after using my $21.90 dividend and free shipping was $2.90 each!

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
How bout the #2 cans that you can get MH in and then divvy it up and re vacuum seal?

Richard

Repackaging single portions from the #10 cans is certainly an option. i would imagine you would only want to do what you were sure you are going to eat, as the shelf life on the food is much diminished after the cans are opened. Even in vacuum sealer bags, I don't think it would keep more than a season unless you are using oxygen absorbers. So as long as you don't mind eating 20 servings of beef teriyaki in one season :)

For the volume of meals we need at our house, I am not willing to spend the time required to portion out and seal all the entrees. I spend enough of my time counting and organizing food for summer and fall trips as it is. But we probably eat dehydrated food 70-80 days a year x2 of us. I am willing to spend a little more for the pouches, especially when I can get them on sale.

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
Alpine Air is on ProMotive if you have access. They have limits on quantities you can order but discount is healthy.

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
Amazon has the bucket things. Comes out to about 5.25 a pouch. Not bad if you dont have time to look for a deal