How long is long enough?

Mmcan

WKR
This isn't a length (in inches) matters question but instead a length in miles (or days,weeks,months), before you switch to breaking in a new boot. How far do you go before you say, "I'm giving up on this boot X and switching to boot Y"

I appreciate that some are able to put on a sturdy mountain hunting boot and its good to go. Minimal break in. But I'm really frustrated after having put at least 20 miles on my boots and last week w a 60lb pack over 7 miles of fairly variable terrain, the heel blisters are there again. No worries when doing general knock around stuff. They feel great. But you start adding elevation change and a reasonable amount of weight to your pack, and it's blister time again.

I have my tibets laced great, great insole, comfort abounds, and very secure in the boot until I climb. A recent article I read said 50 miles. Y'all go that far??

It depends. If the closer you get to the 50-ish mile mark (which I've read before too, but there's nothing magical about 50), the less and less they tend to bother your feet, then I'd say yeah stick it out. I went on a scouting trip last weekend with some serious elevation gain, roughly 3500 feet from start to finish. I thought I had broken in my boots pretty well already, but by time I got to 'basecamp', my heels were getting tender. Add in another almost 1k feet in elevation to get to the top of the bowl above basecamp to glass, and I could feel the blisters. At basecamp I put some moleskin on to help for what it's worth, but it didn't do much, and honestly I wasn't expecting it to. About half way up the hill from basecamp to glassing area, it felt like the amount of pain and discomfort from the boots suddenly disappeared. The damage that had already been done was there, and I could still feel the boots rubbing against my heels on the tender spots, but it was no longer getting worse. It was like somebody flipped off the pain and blisters switch. The rest of the trip my heels were still pretty tender but didn't get any worse, and I managed.

To make a long story short, I feel like I may have finally crested that magical break-in period peak, which I thought I had passed long ago. The break-in period will be different for everyone, as no two peoples feet are the same, and also no two pair of boots are exactly the same either. I think the important thing to be very watchful of is if the tenderness and pain is decreasing at least somewhat after the initial break in (when the boots still smell new and the leather is shiny). Give it the old college try and don't give up too soon, but at some point you may just have to cut your losses and find something that is hopefully better. I'd give them a good chance though.

mt100gr.

WKR
When I worked in the back country, we always joked about getting our feet broken in before our longer trips. The post above describes what I experienced a time or two, as well. Some boots just may not ever quite get there for YOUR foot.

A guy that I knew worked in the industry. He told me that the most common mistake with more supportive boots is to tighten the laces of the foot portion of the boot too much, which will increase slippage at the heel. He told me to leave the foot portion a little looser and tighten the lacing at the ankle cleat and immediately above it. According to him, it's like wearing the belt of your backpack too low instead of on your hips.

It may not work for every pair of boots you try, but it worked for me.

He was a great resource. He's gone now, but he did, literally, die with his boots on.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Put them on, go stand in a creek or lake and get them thoroughly soaked and hike around in them till they are dry. Also, have really good insoles (you do) and experiment with the socks. You may have to do several things and in the end, they may not be the boot for you. But since you already have them, it's worth a couple of things to try. I wear a pair of really light liner socks or compression socks underneath my outer socks to eliminate the heel blisters. Also remember that your feet swell up the longer you are on them, higher elevation, get dehydrated, etc. A lot of factors that can change your boot fit.

Randy

The tibets took longer then any other boot I've owned. My rangers broke in in about 3-4 trips so probably less then 50 miles. The tibets took probably twice as long, they fit well but still not as comfertable as my rangers.

A guy that I knew worked in the industry. He told me that the most common mistake with more supportive boots is to tighten the laces of the foot portion of the boot too much, which will increase slippage at the heel. He told me to leave the foot portion a little looser and tighten the lacing at the ankle cleat and immediately above it. According to him, it's like wearing the belt of your backpack too low instead of on your hips.

He was a great resource. He's gone now, but he did, literally, die with his boots on.

This is really good advice

Craig4791

WKR
I have found that if they give me any hot spots at all after a few hikes with good uphill and downhill traversing then they won't work for me regardless of being "broke in". Out of all the boots I have tried the ones that have worked felt great on the first trip.

I think this "50 mile" break in for these stiff soled boots is hogwash.

I had easily 500 miles on mine between hunting and trapping before they started feeling right.

Stid2677

WKR
Years in the military and packing have taught me that boots, at least for me start to get shaped to my feet at about the 100 mile mark or so. Soak them in HOT water, as mentioned lacing methods make a huge difference, lace them up and walk them dry. Pre-tape your feet using Leukotape-P tape, I have had great success using the SOLE heat molding insoles.

jmez

WKR
A lot depends on the boot. I'm guessing a lot depends on the fit of the boot for your foot as well. I have a pair of Asolo GV 520's and 50 miles wasn't enough. Took probably twice that. I have a pair of Hanwag's and it was basically zero. Never a hot spot or blister from day 1.

IMO it is more of a fit issue than a boot break in issue. If the boots don't fit your feet it will be a long time until they are comfortable.

mtnkid85

WKR
Like everyone is saying... It depends. I hate buying new boots with a fiery passion! I went through two pairs recently where they "just wouldn't break in". Lots of miles in them and still got hot spots. For those boots the best I can say is just take care of the hotspots before they turn to blisters.
STOP and tape up the INSTANT you start feeling that hotspot develop. Ive stopped several times 1 or 2 miles in, dropped everything and took the time to tape up. I even got to the point where Id tape moleskin on my heel at the trail head as I was putting my boots on.
With a good tape job I could go all week with no further issues.

I don't hike year round so part one of my pre season goals is to simply toughen up my feet. Most years I get a blister or two on that first big climb and descent. Especially if there is lots of snow. Usually not an issue by hunting season.

I depends on the boot my work boot are Danner super rain forest and took a long time to break in my hunting boots are hanwag and no break in I also have an arch support in them that helps a lot. Never tried any other boots find a good boot and stick with it if you can. Just my two cents

Cabman

Lil-Rokslider

Same thing happened to me with a pair of Kennetreks. I had them laced up too tight and would tend t get blisters. One day hiking up the mountain the blisters started so I loosened up the laces from the toe on up to the ankle, worked like a charm and made the boot feel 100% different.

All this talk of blisters makes me want to stick with my cheap Vasques, even if they do fall apart after a year! Of course, I haven't put any 20 mile days on them either...