Base Camp/ Truck Camping

BigHink66

FNG
I have an older Cabela's 6-8 person tent. Its a 2 room tent with steel poles. Kind of similar to this one. Cabela's Hybrid Cabin 8-Person Tent : Cabela's

Was thinking of using it as a base camp next year in Colorado since I already own it. Can anyone advise whether this may be a bad idea? Will be hunting in September for archery and have a lighter backpack tent in case we decide to stay out from camp.

I just don't know if I can expect this to be durable enough for truck camping in Colorado. I weighs a ton and won't be carried more that a few yards from the truck.

The other tent I am considering for backpacking is the Slumberjack. Slumberjack Nightfall 3 Person Dome Tent 85 x 68 x - MPN: 58755717

boom

WKR
i use a plain-jane REI six man tent. packed up it is about the size of my entire stuffed day pack. it's heavy..

but that thing rocks. i roll it out of my truck and set it up. i even use a cot; because truck camping - all deals are acceptable. i go comfy. something about being able to stand up in a tent to pull up your pants..and sleeping on a platform you can swing your legs off and over to stand up. my tent kicks butt when i am solo. it is like a palace.

blkqi

WKR
Since you have the tent, use it. What are you worried about?

If rain and snow are going to be a problem, just put up a tarp.

rayporter

WKR
your biggest concern is whether it will hold up 3 inches of wet mushy snow. your odds of that in sept. are low, but it is possible. i say take it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
your biggest concern is whether it will hold up 3 inches of wet mushy snow. your odds of that in sept. are low, but it is possible. i say take it.

Or if it will hold up to high winds.

My buddy had a "family" two-room tent and the first time he used it a storm came in and dumped a couple inches of rain and high winds collapsed it breaking or bending several poles. He got a refund, but that didn't help at the time.

A year ago June we went to Yellowstone and camped in one of the campgrounds. We had the ONLY wall tent there and there were people putting a family of five into what I would consider one-man tents. A storm came through with high winds and we saw dozens of tents that had blown across the entire campground and stuck up against trees and such.

Even last year the last week of archery, it was like a hurricane. Saw trees snapping in half and new blowdowns everywhere. Wind is the worst on a tent.

boom

WKR
Or if it will hold up to high winds.

out of a truck. i pulled out paracord and really tied mine down one very windy AZ year. i couldnt even have a fire..it would have blown away and burned the place down. any tent can be tied down extra.

Honestly, if you end up buying a base camp shelter and don't need the wood stove option I'd highly consider the Cabelas Alaskan Guide tents. From my limited experience and everything I've read they're pretty bombproof and can be had for a very reasonable amount of money during some of their sales. Obviously there are some better options out there, but nothing you're going to find for $300 or so. Buy yourself a buddy heater for running in the morning while getting ready/before bed and you're set.

For backpacking, I'm pretty partial to TarpTent and others like it(Lightheart Gear, SMD, etc). I like to keep my pack as light as possible(within reason). If you don't use trekking poles some of those may not be an option due to them utilizing your trekking poles as tent poles.

dotman

WKR
If you want a bombproof tent let me know, I have a Cabelas XWT 12x12 that if you search on YouTube can easily with stand hurricane force winds and heavy snow loads. I’ll make you a great deal on it. Also it is huge the standing up inner nest area is 12x12. Send me a pm if interested.